Daytime Emmy Nominations: Discussion

Josh

• Members

[qCO-SIGN! B) Wow, you're like my new favorite poster ever!!! :)

Thank you. I'm flattered. LOL. I am, next to you of course, the world's biggest SB fan. I would love to see it on Soapnet. Now that is the quality of soap that should be on now. Viewers are looking for an intelligent daytime drama. IMO. One final thought. You are right about Leslie Kay. She was great, and I would have no problem with her winning the supporting actress emmy. She has one advantage in that she was consistent all year. Genie was wonderful, but it was just a month.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. She seemed on auto-pilot during those scenes.

Reckell is the one who should've been nominated.

That is something she was taught by her therapist back when Diego raped her. At least she's been consistent.

Did she submit that? My absolute faves were her break-up scenes with Jack from March.

• Members

I don't even really LIKE PASSIONS, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that James Stevenson BELONGS in that category. He has such outstanding chemistry with Lindsay Hartley, he brings every dull scene to life, he's charasmatic, sexy. He DESERVES it.

And, unless I see some tapes, I hope he wins. ABC should band together and vote for him, just to spite CBS.

• Members

Thanks, bellcurve. I actually felt something -- strange -- when you said that about James. like it affected me personally on a deep emotional level. lol. Weird! Anyway, I hope James gets the WIN too. He just deserves it. And "Passions" deserves some props -- although, luckily, they'll STILL be eligible for one more year! lol. God, I hope Lindsay gets her nom AND win for justice to be served.

• Members

All of you know that I am all about CBS soaps...have been my entire life, but WTF??? Was that this morning...I missed it live and saw it on youtube...

Austin Peck should never be allowed to speak without a script, or hell who I am kidding he should never be allowed to speak....

This is from 2005 on The View, at least ABC knows how to do it up right:

2006 Lead Actress Noms

2006 Supporting Actress Noms

This crap today...missing Younger Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Actress...oh my gosh I cannot believe I am about to say this...Brian Frons did something.....right!

Today's Excuse for a Nomination Ceremony

• Members

I'm sure that some do, but not the majority. There's no other explanation for "Soap Talk" getting nominated over and over for Best Talk Show and Best Talkshow Hosts. Rinna and Treadway are laughable as hosts, and yet they get nominated over and over... and there's no way that the people voting actually consider them to be 'the best.' They simply give them the vote because it's a soap-related talk show. Many soap stars have been on their show, and they give 'em the vote because they like them, personally. Professionally, they know they don't deserve it, but they can't shove their personal feelings aside to be objective and vote for the person who truly deserves it. And it's that way across the board in every category. People will vote for their own, end of story.

It's funny to me how everyone knows that the Emmy system is beyond flawed, yet people keep making excuses as to why it's fair and the flaws should be overlooked simply because their shows aren't the ones being sh!t upon. They only seem to gripe during the years that their shows are given the shaft... then suddenly the world is supposed to end. The GH fans are whining to high heaven about NLG and GH's 'snubs' from the big categories, talking about how the whole thing is unfair and flawed, but there was no problem with the system over the last few years when GH swept it all.

The entire thing is just a big joke. The Emmys aren't a measure of true quality, anyway. Neither are the ratings. I wouldn't shed a tear of the Daytime Emmys were discontinued next year... even if there was a sudden turnaround and my favorites got nominated in every category. It's all too much of a pain in the ass for something that turns out to be worth nothing in the end, anyway. The simple fact that Victoria Rowell didn't even make the pre-nom should be proof enough that the entire thing is a waste of time and energy.

• Members

I agree with so much of what you said, but at the same time every Awards things should be done away with as far as Daytime. To me there is no Daytime awards thing that is fair. The Soap Opera Digest Awards (if they are still given) are always dominated by the same shows. Even the SON awards which were better and more rounded this last year still had many WTF nominations and were clear that personal taste came into play sometimes and not quality - not saying that to offend anyone but it was true. Even the year end things where awards or the Best of were named there were personal things that came into play and politics too. With all the awards it doesn't come down to the person winning as being the best - they are just the ones that got the most votes. Soap Opera Digest and SON both make their nominations and usually the best are always there but even with them it is just like the Emmys after that it is who can get their fans or their panel to vote for them and secure them the win.

And sorry but this thing of people fussing because certain people don't withdraw their names from competition is something I don't agree with at all. If a person is on the show and still has the material then they should be in there. What good is it if your favorite only gets a nomination because someone else pulled their name out of the competition. It would be the same as saying that if SOD does their awards again that both GH and Days should withdraw themselves from competition this year because they have dominated in years past. Yes it might allow someone else to win for a change but what good is the win if in the end it is not based on everyone being equal. It doesn't make sense at all. I mean why should performers like Tony Geary, Susan Flannery, Erika Slezak, Kim Zimmer, etc. be punished just because they have been nominated and won before several times esp. when they do have the material still and are still at the top of their game. Now if they don't have the material just like Erika Slezak didn't this year then yes they should not submit their name but all the others were still good and still had the material and they should be there and still be allowed to compete. Should Meryl Streep have withdrew her name from the Oscars this year? After all she has won multiple times and has been nominated multiple times? She was great in The Devil Wears Prada but if she had withdrew her name then another actress could have gotten the nomination?

• Members

The system is flawed, but there is no perfect awards in any genre. The Oscars suck because people spend millions campaigning. The Prime Time Emmys suck because they academy is years behind the viewing public. They're all flawed, but that's the nature of awards. It's subjective. For every person who bashes Kim Zimmer, there are 10 who love her. You can't please everyone. For this year at least, I'm very pleased. There have been years I wasn't. But you could take a panel of soap "experts" and just 300 episodes from a year and you'd still get some BS decisions becasue so and so was friends with a certain actor or producer. It's all human and subjective and you can't remove that no matter what system is in place.

If Jeanne Cooper wins Lead Actress I think it would kick ass. Was she really a lead this year? No. But damn, she deserves it and would give one hell of a speech.

The actors voted for the acting awards. If someone's peers thought they weren't in the Top 5 this year, I think they know more about acting than I do.

Plus, unless anyone can provide a complete list of the ONE episode everyone submitted to be screened, how can we say someone was truly deserving or not? (based on the system that is place).

• Members

I actually remember something like that...........interesting that she's being consistent. It doesn't bother me either way when she hmmms- it's an acting choice and always makes sense to me in the context of the character and the scenes she's chosen to do it in. Her acting was so naked this past year. She really deserved a nom. Certainly over Herbst & REG.

• Members

For those of you who are saying the Daytime Emmys should just go away because they're 'flawed' or 'unfair'......................Um, no.

And BTW, sick of everyone complaining about NBCD being given the shaft year after year. It's not NBCD they're shafting- it's the casts of PSNS & DAYS. When AW & SB were on the air, each were awarded with plenty of noms. And when DAYS was a more traditional, grounded soap (with believable, logical writing and nuanced acting), they receieved their share of acting noms.

Take DAYS & PSNS for what they are people- fun, entertaining, over-the-top soaps. None of that makes them award-worthy and, when looking at the dialogue on an everyday episode of AMC, ATWT, B&B, GH, GL, OLTL, & Y&R................. DAYS & PSNS simply don't measure up.

That's not to say the day to day writing on DAYS hasn't completely turned around since Sheffer took over because it has. Perhaps next year, with better-written stand-alone episodes, they may actually be able to compete again.

Archived