DAYS: I Want to Be a Soap Star

• Members

This apparently came from today's Daily Variety.

SoapNet has ordered a fourth season of the reality contest "I Wanna Be a Soap Star" -- and this time, the winner will wind up on NBC's "Days of Our Lives."

It's the first time the Disney-owned cabler has featured a non-ABC sudser on "I Wanna Be a Soap Star." (ABC's "All My Children," "One Life to Live" and "General Hospital" have all participated.)

"Days" is already a major part of SoapNet's schedule; repeats of the popular serial have aired on the cabler since 2004 (in what was then a groundbreaking agreement).

"We've done three ABC shows, and we were eager to do one of our other shows," said SoapNet general manager Deborah Blackwell. "The 'Days' team was extremely supportive, and ('Days' exec producer) Ken Corday wanted it to happen."

Fourth season of "I Wanna Be a Soap Star," which begins production in May, will follow 10 aspiring soap actors who compete for a role on "Days of Our Lives."

"I think it's wonderful that they stepped up to promote a show that's not on ABC," Corday said. "It seemed like the stars were aligned. Hopefully we'll end up with a really good actor to star on the show. From there, who knows where it might go."

The new edition will, for the first time, include at-home voting by viewers, who will play a role (along with the show's judges) in choosing the winner. Also, the finale of "I Wanna Be a Soap Star" will be telecast live for the first time.

In another first, the fourth season of "I Wanna Be a Soap Star" will include "Days" head writer Hogan Sheffer as one of the judges (no other head writer has filled that role). Talent manager Michael Bruno and actress Debbi Morgan also serve as judges, while "All My Children" thesp Cameron Mathison returns as host.

" 'I Wanna Be a Soap Star' is great for our network and the soap genre," Blackwell said. "Not only does it drive attention to the show it's casting a role for, but it brings in new viewers who are reality TV fans to our network."

LMNO Cable Group -- a division of LMNO Prods. -- produces "I Wanna Be a Soap Star" for SoapNet; "Days" comes from Corday Prods. and Sony Pictures TV. Eric Schotz and Lisa Bourgoujian exec produce "Soap Star" for LMNO.

Season 2 winner Alec Musser continues on "All My Children," while season one star Mykel Shannon Jenkins spent time on "General Hospital" and since then has guested on several primetime skeins. Mikey Jerome, who won the third edition, was given a role on "One Life to Live."

Fourth edition of "I Wanna Be a Soap Star" comes as SoapNet nears distribution in 60 million homes. Channel recently announced its first original scripted skein, "General Hospital: Night Shift."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know, Toups. I can't wait!

After OLTL's season, I was wondering if they would do a DAYS season. Other boards are already speculating that this could be more proof that DAYS may go to ABC. I don't see it that way. I think the reason is because the show is on SOAPnet. I wouldn't be surprised if on the 5th season, the winner becomes part of the Y&R cast.

Hopefully the contestants are good. This show doesn't really have much success with the winners. GH's winner was gone so fast. Mikey whatever his last name on OLTL got the boot. The only successful winner was Alec Musser on AMC.

• Members

Uh oh...

This could be really good or really bad. I hope there are some talented people or at least that a talented person ends up winning. Hogan on TV should be good.

I think you can take it as proof that Corday has a good relationship with ABC so that is a positive for the future if he seeks them out as a new home. I don't know if it signifies a move to ABC but it doesn't dismiss it either.

• Members

ABC doesn't appear to have any stake in this program so I don't see how it reflects DAYS' relationship with them. IMO, it signifies more that SoapNet are quite invested in the show. In another article, I noticed Blackwell was hyping up the Emmy chances of DAYS. Whether or not this interest extends to actually funding the show if NBC pull out remains to be seen (do Soapnet even have those resources?). But I take it as a good sign. At the very least, this will generate some buzz around the show.

• Members

I know there's positives but honestly right now this makes me really antsy. I really don't like a lot of people on IWBSS and the thought of Days bringing on yet another "experiment" that calls themselves an actor miffs me out a little. Time will tell.

• Members

DAYS is already filled with a lot of wannabe soap stars :P Like Willow.. Jed.. Nick...

DAYS is and has always been 'new to the genre' actor happy so this show is just going to be another regular casting call for them. And for the life of them they do not need a new face!! But it's for a short time I suppose.

Cool that Hogan is going to be on the show! Maybe people can throw him writing pointers out there!!

• Members

That's because DAYS likes to create their own stars. Drake Hogestyn, Mary Beth Evans, Stephen Nichols, Alison Sweeney, Bryan Dattilo, Christie Clark, Lisa Rinna, Arianne Zuker, Jensen Ackles, Matt Cedeno, Jay K. Johnson, Jason Cook, Nadia Bjorlin, Kyle Lowder, Eric Winter, Heather Lindell, Ashley Benson, Rachel Melvin, Darin Brooks, Blake Berris, Annie Burgstede, etc. None of these actors would be household names had it not been for DAYS' "new to the genre" actor happiness.

Archived