Hard Candy... amazing!

KLN

• Members

hard_candy_clip4.jpg

Has anyone seen this film?

I just watched it and I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless.

Here's a general summary (doesn't spoil too much)...

It's about a 14-year old girl who's talks to a pedophile on the internet. They meet, go back to his house... then we realize that she's no innocent little girl. Instead of having sex with him as he planned, she drugs and tortures him, and that's only the very beginning. That's about all I can say. I generally have no problem spoiling a movie for people, but this is one that you must watch unspoiled -- the experience will be all the more rewarding.

The movie took so many twists and turns, a huge game of cat-and-mouse. Makes you question where the line is drawn between right and wrong, justice and cruelty. Such an intimate film. My heart was beating in my throat. Just amazing.

Anyway, I could barely catch my breath as I was watching, I was so on the edge of my seat. If you haven't seen it, definitely rent it of buy if. If you have seen it... what did you think?

Here's the trailer:

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A brilliant, scary but very real film despite its off the wall premise. One of my friends said "15 year olds don't speak like that!" Hello?! We did at that age! (he and I)

Wow... You know, that is so thoughtful! You are speaking to me so selflessly! I mean, you just don't want me to castrate you for my own benefit? Wow, I'm touched. Jeff, why don't we imagine someone saying the same thing to you at a random moment? Imagine that when you downloaded this little girl... I was sitting by your side saying, "Stop! Don't do that to yourself!" Would you have listened?

I looked that quote up at imdb because I only remembered the resonance of the scene.Glad they had it.

They really do walk a fine line between the whole "two wrongs making a right" idea. I highly recommend this film.

• Members

I spoke like that when I was a teenager, as well. Not all teens are dumb. Some are very smart -- and it would take a very smart teenager to pull of what she pulls off in the film. In fact, she's really too smart for her own good. However, at the same time, she is only a teenager... so her physical strength is a weakness and makes you wonder if she's actually going to succeed or if he's going to somehow get the upper hand. If they had made it black and white/cut and dry from the start, there would've been no point in watching the film. Keeping the plot and the characters very grey and flawed (but not completely evil) made for incredible character drama.

Anyway, I credit soaps for giving me my vocabulary at a young age. Just call me [s.W.S.N.B.N.]. :P

Oh, and I love the quote. Great scene.

• Members

Ohh, yes. Definitely.

At what point does it stop being justice and starts becoming twisted and inhumane? At what point does the prey become the predator and vice versa? At what point does the victim become just as flawed and twisted as the pedophile? And if you find yourself rooting for the pedophile -- and trust me, in this film you go back and forth -- what does that say about you? Does that mean you're more humane than you thought... or less for rooting for 'the bad guy?'

• Members

I love little films like this, real dramas, lots of dialogue; I'm so sick of the so-called BLOCKBUSTERS.

Ha! I credit them for giving me the English language at an early age! (please tell me that big fat cow didn't say the same thing)

It forces you into a place where you start thinking in degrees of "bad guy"

Molesting a child is clearly wrong, and an offense not only against the victim but all of society. But vigilatiism is yet another offense against society.. augghhhh. Don't want to say too much more.

• Members

AUUUUGH! Please I'm just a simple Chinese-American-Canadian girl who happens to be a big-mouthed lesbian. Don't worry. with the new rules I'll be banned by April.

I hope your experiences with that con-artist cow haven't made you suspicious of everyone, but I would understand if it does.

• Members

Oh, dear GOD that was disturbing -- just the trailer!

Is it about killing? Pedophilia? It's just creepy!! Ew!!! I'm intrigued but I don't know what to think about it right now.

And that kid playing the boy is SO a girl. That's the big shocker, right/ The guy's a perv, tries to bond with the boy but she's really a she who is not underage.

• Members

The "boy" is a girl, LoL. But that's not a shocker... the character is a girl. The actress just looks boyish, LoL. And no, the character is really a teenager -- not an underage cop or anything.

I honestly can't describe the movie and what it's about in detail without giving away serious plot points. This is one film where the trailer gives nothing away. It's not one of those "all the good scenes are in the trailer" types of movies. And it's that way for a reason. It's not a 'comfortable' film... it's something that will make you feel awkward and uncomfortable but you keep watching just because the story is so gripping.

You just should see it. Trust me and see it. I have good taste, LoL.

• Members

Oh, JSF. It's an independent film. You'll be lucky if anyone even knows what the hell it is, LoL. That's why I live indie flicks though... they go where no blockbuster films dare to go.

Let your soap flag fly!

Archived