Ryan's Hope: Kimberly

• Members

Is anyone watching Ryan's hope on soap net? I just started watching six weeks ago and I love it, but I just have to say that Kimberly is the most annoying character ever on all of television. Her hysterics are enough to make me want to gudge out my ear drums.

I've heard Roxie from OLTL is on this show, but I haven't seen her yet. Does anyone know at what point she was on the show?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been watching and I watched when it was originally on as well. ITA about Kimberly - she is a pill (trying to be nice). Roxie on OLTL played Delia who is currently being played by another actress. Ilene Kristen was the original Delia and she will be back again. Delia is almost as annoying and immature as Kimberly. From Wikipedia: Kristen played the role (of Delia) from 1975 to 1979, when she then left to try other venues. She returned in 1982 but was fired a year later because ABC felt she was overweight. Kristen claimed she was suffering a bad reaction to medication. In 1986 she returned and lasted until the series finale in 1989.

• Members

Whenever I got into RH summer of '02, I liked Kimberly's relationship with Seneca and her mom trying to keep them apart. I liked how Seneca was married to Nancy Addison Altman's character(forget her name right now) and he wouldn't give her an annulment because he didn't want her going back to Frank Ryan or something. I maybe getting the whole story effed up, but it seemed like everything was intertwined on RH.

Forgive me for saying, LOVING purists, but I wish ABC would have kept RH over it. RH in the 90's would have been awesome. Would have been a less-glamorous version of THE CITY if it had made it through the next decade.

But then again, I like THE CITY, so I can't say much.

• Members

I love Kimberly! :D She is such a demon child, but exactly what Rae deserves. Actually I take that back, nobody deserves Kimberly!

The actress who plays her has been posting on the RH board on SOAPnet. Funny gal. Apparently she lied about her age and was only 15 when she joined RH.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Feb 16 2007, 08:03 PM)
I love Kimberly! :D She is such a demon child, but exactly what Rae deserves. Actually I take that back, nobody deserves Kimberly!

The actress who plays her has been posting on the RH board on SOAPnet. Funny gal. Apparently she lied about her age and was only 15 when she joined RH.

I heard she lied about that...has it been confirmed 100% that the "I was only 15 when I was on RYAN'S" speculation is true? LOL. She worked alot, moreso than a child actress should have been working. LOL. That is funny.

• Members

Thanks for the answer Darcy.

Well, just in case the actress who played Kim posts here too, let me just say I think she is a good actress. She drives me insane, but I think that's kind of the point. She's playing a childish selfish girl and she sold it very well.

Don't hate me for starting this thread Kim!! ;)

• Members

Bellcurve, her MySpace talks about it in detail and it seems pretty sure. She lied about her age to get the job, but now IMDB doesn't believe her and is making her get a passpost as proof. She has given them every form of identification, but they want a passport. She seems really annoyed by it, but her blogs are hilarious.

It's myspace.com/kellimaroney

• Members

I used to absolutely hate the character of Kim, but she's grown on me lately. I think it's primarly because Seneca is being such an absolute ass to her. Kelli Maroney seems to have improved a bit since she first came on, too, which helps. I can understand why she had to keep her age a secret - she was sharing love scenes with a man who was in his early 50s.

I never ever had much love for Kim, though, whereas I absolutely loved Delia. Ilene Kristen should be popping on in about five months SoapNet time, though the actress playing her now - Randall Edwards - is just as good, IMO. One of the best recasts ever.

You got it right. I used to love Seneca with Jillian until Edmund's death. Now he's gotten pretty irritating, though I guess he's justified since Kim has been an evil shrewchild.

BTW, the show is currently in late May 1981.

• Members

The writing strike lasts about six months I believe. So far it's okay, but the new writers write out several great characters (starting with Michael) and all but one never come back. They also happen to be characters I love so I'm not looking forward to that!

Then Claire Labine returns, but is fired in early 1982 which I believe is when the show turns into Kirkland's Hope. I'm actually looking forward to that. BTW, for new viewers, thats when we get a new headwriter who basically writes out the Ryan's and centers the show around the rich Kirkland family.

• Members

I can definitely tell the difference. The episodes themselves seem a bit more disjointed. The balance really hasn't changed much. We're only like 10 episodes into the strike, though.

The 1981 Writer's Strike only lasted 3 months. The 1988 Writer's Strike was the one which lasted 6 months.

It's not quite that bad. None of the Ryans are written out. Claire Labine brings back Patrick and Siobhan (who was written out for around 2 months) before she got fired. There were only two Kirklands on the show until December 1982, and the largest amount of Kirklands on the canvas at one time is 3 (from December 1982-March 1983); by January 1983, Claire Labine was headwriter again. The Hollis Kirkland arc has about as much to do with the Kirklands as it does with Kim and Rae. I haven't seen much from the period, but it seems great in comparison to some of the later stuff.

The worst period of the show really comes during 1984 and 1985, when Pat Falken Smith is the headwriter. Crimelord Max Dubujak and Jill's half-sister, Maggie Shelby, take over the show. Maggie is a really enjoyable character, and Cali Timmins grows in the role. Max, on the other hand, is not fun, and they eventually introduce his entire family. His daughter (who was introduced before him) Jacqueline Dubujak (played by Gerit Quealy), is much, much worse than Kimbo in terms of being an irritating, annoying shrew. This is also the period in which Ryan's is blown up and lays empty for eleven months, and the focus largely shifts to the young adult crew at Greenberg's Deli.

Archived