GH: Actors Speak out about Firing of Vet

• Members

There is an article about Stuart Damon's firing in the new SOW courtesy of Caroline Spencer at Soapzone. Even if you don't watch GH, you should read it as the actors speak very frankly about the vets being fired by ABC and I applaud all of them. It's sad but there are some interesting comments.

GH HEARTBREAK

Alan suffers a heart attack this week on GH, and the physician won't be able to heal himself. After 30 years on the show, Stuart Damon has been fired, and his co-stars are speaking out.

"It's very difficult for me to talk about, because I can't find a rationale for it," sighs Leslie Charleson. "It's a good thing that his exit story is stressful and sad, because that's the way we all look. It's not requiring a big stretch."

Damon took the ouster hard, according to Charleson. "He told me he would have preferred it if he could have just stayed home after he was fired. The hardest part for him has been going to work as a lame duck. He was sitting on the stage yesterday, looking at the place where most of us stand before we enter the Quartermaine den, and he said to me, 'God, I'm not going to be standing over there anymore.' It's those kinds of things that he's thinking about now; 'My God, I'm not going to stand at the nurses' station again. I'm never going to be in that elevator again.' "

Charleson isn't thinking about that, though. "I am stuck firmly in denial. I've been so emotional, I just can't see not having my buddy around anymore. We have such a history together. I don't understand it. He tried to get ahold of me over the weekend to break the news, but I was away. I went to work Monday morning and went to his dressing room. He said, 'I'm sure you probably know.' And I said, 'No...' I accused him of joking because this is what Stuart and I have always done with each other. I was like, 'Okay, that's funny,' because it seemed so preposterous. But this time it was no joke. I don't have the words. This is the 30th anniversary for the two of us, in August. The timing leaves me very discouraged about the way soaps are going, the total disregard for history and the blatant disregard for the veterans. Stuart is very sad. This has been his home away from home. He has his good days and bad. He called me the other day and said, 'Listen, they want you to come in because you're auditioning with my replacement. It's going to be George Hamilton.' I fell on the floor. Through tragedy comes comedy, thank God! Because this is just too sad."

Any chance for a reprieve? "Now they're dangling this ghost thing in front of him. It's not a rumor: Alan is going to appear to Tracy. Well, how long will that last? The 'arcs' on this show seem to last the blink of an eye."

How is everyone else backstage? "This has not been good for morale," admits LC. "I really don't know what to say. What *is* the point of this? Why? It's certainly not for sweeps. And it can't be for money, because he's contractually guaranteed to be paid through August, so they're not saving any money until then. If they're strapped for cash, this isn't going to help. The only thing I've heard - which doesn't bode well for a lot of us - is they want to cut contract players. They screwed Anna Lee (Lila), too, which was unnecessary. When Wendy Riche was producer, she said as long as she was there, Anna Lee had a lifetime contract. The woman was in her 80s. And then when the new powers-that-be took over they fired her, and it broke her heart. It was not necessary. You don't get a prize for longevity, that's for sure. I was standing on the stage yesterday and Jill (Farren Phelps) came by and i said, 'The way things are going around here, should I start looking for my coat?' Tony (Geary) was right behind me and he leaned over and said, 'All of us over 40 better know where our coats are.' "

JOHN INGLE: "It's awful."

Like Leslie Charleson, John Ingle was stunned by the firing of Stuart Damon.

"Stuart is my closest friend and it's just awful," sighs the soap vet. "We can't even talk as friends about what's happening, because we'll lose it. I don't think he's gotten over the ghastly shock. It sounds so corny to say he's a trouper, but he is. Jane (Elliot), Leslie, we're all angry and confused as to GH's motives. I said to Leslie the other night, 'Where do we go after Stuart's gone?' We don't know."

Will the Q's survive? "Nobody knows which direction the Quartermaines will take," shrugs JI. "From the standpoint of the men, there's only me at the old end and Scott Clifton at the young end. There's no middle to us now. Stuart.....really doesn't know how he can leave here. He will, of course. It's a quiet, pensive time. We're all very unsettled. I don't know when the ship will right itself again. There is so much unrest about this action."

Especially among fans. "A lot of the fans see him and go, 'Oh, we loved you as Prince Charming,' " says JI. "Obviously in his heart, he's still Prince Charming. So it's tough for him to be laid out on a gurney with a defibrillator zapping his chest. He'd rather be singing, 'Do I love you because you're beautiful or are you beautiful because I love you?' "

What does Damon have to say about all this? At press time, a GH rep said that the actor wasn't ready to talk about his departure.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, golly gee, JFP fired Alice Barrett Mitchell and had Frankie viciously murdered ... She fired Ellen Parker from GL and had Maureen die in a car crash, making it impossible for her to be resurrected ... she killed off Ryan making it impossible for Paul Michael Valley to ever return as the character, except as a ghost ... she fired Anna Lee, practically drove Genie Francis off the set of GH ... She fired Barbara Berjer as Bridget on AW and refused to have an actor over 50 be on contract ...

The list goes on.

She's despicable.

• Members

WOW.

I have a question, though.

What's the point of this whole dramatic hostage crisis if only one person dies -- and it's not even by gunshot or explosion? It's a frickin' heart attack!

A little anticlimactic, no?

• Members

So it isn't a budget problem and he's STILL being paid until August? What a waste! Why the hell would they do this? It truly is shameful the way things are handled at GH. Kari Wuhrer and Lesli Kay fired FOR BEING PREGNANT and the way the vets are treated is ridiculous.

This is why I didn't get behind Genie Francis' return last year. They were just USING her for sweeps because the ratings were in the toilet. When she asked to return full time THEY TURNED HER DOWN! They don't want Genie, but they needed her. They don't want Tony Geary, but they need him for Emmys. They don't want Leslie Charleston or Stuart Damon, but they need a vet to kill off for a forgottable sweeps story.

I HATE YOU GH!

• Members

I was hoping someone would post this here. Leslie rocks!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her more than Tristan Rogers now.

I don't think JFP is to blame for this though.

Actually Leslie said herself a long time ago that since Frons took over JFP has very little power. It's all Guza/Frons.

Also, if JFP is calling the shots I don't think Leslie would have made that comment to her.

Archived