Debate The Cancelled & Saved Daytime Dramas

• Members

My Cancellation List: I would cancel Guiding Light, All My Children, Days Of Our Lives, The Bold & The Beautiful & As The World Turns right now without hesitation.

If PSN wasn't cancelled, I would have included that crapfest at the top of my cancellation list. PSN did irreversible harm to an already ailing daytime TV industry.

My Saved List: I would save THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS, ONE LIFE TO LIVE & GENERAL HOSPITAL.

The Secret Storm (54-74) was cancelled, daytime survived. Love Of Life (51-80) was cancelled, daytime survived. The Edge Of Night (56-84) was cancelled twice, daytime survived. Search For Tomorrow (51-86) was cancelled twice, daytime survived. The critically acclaimed & award-winning Ryan's Hope (76-89) was cancelled, daytime survived. Santa Barbara (84-93) was cancelled, daytime survived. Loving (83-95) was cancelled, daytime survived. Another World (64-99) was cancelled by NBC & guess what: Daytime survived. The cancellation of one or many shows in a short period of time does not mean the end of American daytime dramas.

I see the shows I chose on my saved list moving to late afternoon time/early evening time slots among their respective affiliates (4-8pm), especially Y&R.

I want prospective commenters to really think about their responses & to be as honest as they can be when deciding what their cancellation & saved list would look like.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations then you just killed daytime TV!!!!!!

Sorry but I am glad you don't have control of any network. You would be no better than Frons, McTavish, Brad Bell, or any of the ones you preach about. What you propose doing is just as bad as what they are already doing. None of the shows you mentioned are ready for cancellation.

and as Kenny said - after your first line the rest of your post is totally ignored.

• Members

Hey, Jeff Zucker.

I love the soap genre and soaps in general. Even the ones I don't watch, like AMC or ATWT or PASS or whatever. No matter how bad a soap has gone, a show can always be fixed, revived, reinvigorated, IMO. I would NEVER wish cancellation on it.

• Members

I think, especially in times like these, no matter how much you hate a show, no one should wosh cancellation on it.

A lot of people have told me, "Well thank God it's not GH." And I'm like, GH isn't the ONLY soap on the air. And pretty soon, if ABC has it their way, they will move the damn show to SOAPnet full time on a small budget.

Daytime can't consist of three-four soaps. It's heading that way, sadly, but I just don't see how that is possible.

Archived