January 22-26, 2007

Toups

• Members

Saw the numbers around yesterday.

It was expected. Days was slow last week. I do agree a little bit with some of the people upset about this month being very focused on the young generation. I won't go nuts about it because Steve/Kayla are on alot and Bo was onl a pretty decent amount last month too. We saw Maggie and Victor frequently and Marlena and Hope were not completely backburnered. They were still on about 9 out of 21 shows for the month or something. Bo and Hope were frontburner all of last year and J&M were on alot in November and December. Stories eb and flow and you have to give other characters a chance. Sometimes you need a break from characters. Shawn/Belle weren't featured as much in in December and January as they are now. Same goes for Chelsea/Nick/Willow/etc. I am sure that what happened to Drake may have had some influence too. in why the J&M story has been rather slow. Marlena, Bo, and Hope have been dragged into Shelle's story too so they are involved. Hogan tends to shift stories and characters every month. For instance, Sami and Lucas were hardly featured in November but were big in December and at the end of this month. Bo/Hope, Steve/Kayla, and John/Marlena were on alot in those two months. I am ok with it for now but if we still have a similar situation when we get to around mid-March then I will be upset. I do understand that MBE and SN took cuts and that the other big two couples may be costly so I am ok with limiting them a bit but not for a very long time. I am thinking PR and KA will be asked to take pay cuts (which I think they will agree too) when their contracts are up. Same goes for Drake and Dee (maybe Dee already did, not sure though).

I do see why the show went down and agree that last week wasn't eventful. That and the fact that soaps usually collapse numbers-wise the week after MLK led me to beleive this would happen.

As for GH, it was expected. I am shocked about GL. They deserved better. Even more proof that the ratings system sucks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That and most of the fans aren't moronic either. This Shelle story is moronic and very hard to swallow a loving mother....heck most of us have been or are parents....deplore what Shawn and Belle are putting their baby through. It is beyond comprehension and therefore offensive. And, not only that, but Hogan claimed to be outraged at the lack of appropriate attention to Philip's war heroism and injuries, and he wanted to rectify that and make Philip the "new" Victor, replacing him as the new leader. So what does he do? He puts his war hero back into the war and this time blow his face off making him unrecognizable to even himself forever, into an unpopular court battle and into a near maniac. Where is the honor of the war hero? Where is the sane, cold-thinking business mind? This is a bucket of slop. Many people are incensed and turned off as am I.

• Members

PR, I don't understand what you mean about Shawn & Belle not being around much in January as they are now. Shawn was in 17 out of 21 episodes and Belle was in 16 out of 21 in January - that sounds like alot to me. Maybe most of them were toward the end of the month but that is still January.

And as far as seeing Maggie and Victor "frequently" as you put it. I don't see 6 out of 21 for Maggie and 4 out of 21 for Victor as frequently. I really enjoyed Philip's story a lot more when Victor was there often, but in January it shifted and Victor was cut out. All last week Philip acted alone. I don't want Victor to control the whole story, but he has been there for the whole setup of the story and it is glaring to see him completely out of it.

I am glad for Maggie that she finally got up to 6 episodes but I still hardly call that frequent - better but not frequent. And 4 is not good at all for what Aniston had been getting.

• Members
This totally shocks me. :o

Another surprise. Did they tune in to see AP shirtless? :P

Again did men turn in to see AP shirtless? :P

-------------------------------------

Monday was Tom coming home and AP shirtless. Wow so many wanted to see him shirtless? :P

Thursday was the holdup at the hospital with Meg, Craig and Barbara. And Casey stealing the money from Crash.

I am really surprised ATWT did so well on Monday. Why? Thursday's show was more balanced with the holdup and Casey stealing the money from Crash.

• Members

I think Roger brought up a good point about GL. Many of the big areas carry GL a day behind other areas. Not here but in many areas the Thursday show would have not aired until Friday. I bet anything they did get the better rating for that because of it being the anniversary show.

It would account for them just holding steady on Thursday as some were still seeing the show with Tammy's death on Thursday while others were seeing the anniversary show.

I feel that the ratings system does have flaws, but with so many of the shows getting really good numbers lately I think more of it is just viewers not finding a reason to tune in more than anything else. I mean you look at this week on Monday GH was able to get a 3.0 and then two 2.9's. ATWT was able to get a 2.8. And several other shows got better numbers on Monday. And it wasn't even a holiday. All the shows fail some this week except GL and ATWT, but it still wasn't as bad as other weeks. And Days and OLTL unfortunately were the only ones to fall by a .2 margin.

And GL and ATWT were even up in total viewers for the week.

I am just beginning to beleive that the viewers are still there - they just have to have something to tune in for. And soaps in general just aren't giving some fans what they want or they feel they can't trust their favorite show yet.

• Members

Steve, I agree with you. I don't think we'll see 30 shares again, but there are viewers out there who would tune in to see a consistently good soaps. The problem is that many are relying on stunts now and when the stunt is over, there's nothing worth watching. Soap fans have been screwed over too much so a show is going to have to be consistent over a period of time before a lot of fans will tune back in on a regular basis.

I hope GL can keep their momentum.

Once ATWT starts featuring Luke again and (hopefully) some different characters, they might get a bump too.

• Members

GL definitely deserved better. The show did a phenomenal job with the anniversary episode, and Tammy's death has been beautifully played-out.

I'm glad that ATWT is doing a little bit better. If they actually used different characters more often, I think the ratings would stick.

• Members

MONDAY, JANUARY 22, 2007

1.(1) Y&R: Monday, 1/22: 4.5/5,951,000

2.(2) B&B: Monday, 1/22: 3.4/4,609,000

3.(4) GH: Monday, 1/22: 3.0/3,907,000

4.(7) ATWT: Monday, 1/22: 2.8/3,749,000

5.(3) DAYS: Monday, 1/22: 2.6/3,407,000

6.(8) GL: Monday, 1/22: 2.4/3,307,000

7.(6) OLTL: Monday, 1/22: 2.6/3,281,000

8.(5) AMC: Monday, 1/22: 2.6/3,194,000

9.(9) PSNS: Monday, 1/22: 1.6/2,201,000

TUESDAY, JANUARY 23, 2007

1.(1) Y&R: Tuesday, 1/23: 4.3/5,576,000

2.(2) B&B: Tuesday, 1/23: 3.1/4,010,000

3.(3) GH: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.9/3,657,000

4.(8) AMC: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.4/3,091,000

5.(7) OLTL: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.5/3,085,000

6.(4) ATWT: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.4/3,070,000

7.(5) DAYS: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.4/3,030,000

8.(6) GL: Tuesday, 1/23: 2.2/2,847,000

9.(9) PSNS: Tuesday, 1/23: 1.6/2,029,000

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2007

1.(1) Y&R: Wednesday, 1/24: 4.5/5,852,000

2.(2) B&B: Wednesday, 1/24: 3.1/3,956,000

3.(3) GH: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.8/3,480,000

4.(7) DAYS: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.4/3,289,000

5.(4) AMC: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.6/3,235,000

6.(8) GL: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.2/3,158,000

7.(5) OLTL: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.6/3,084,000

8.(6) ATWT: Wednesday, 1/24: 2.3/3,031,000

9.(9) PSNS: Wednesday, 1/24: 1.5/1,962,000

THURSDAY, JANUARY 25, 2007

1.(1) Y&R: Thursday, 1/25: 4.5/5,925,000

2.(2) B&B: Thursday, 1/25: 3.2/4,240,000

3.(3) GH: Thursday, 1/25: 2.8/3,553,000

4.(8) ATWT: Thursday, 1/25: 2.6/3,462,000

5.(5) AMC: Thursday, 1/25: 2.5/3,338,000

6.(4) DAYS: Thursday, 1/25: 2.5/3,227,000

7.(7) OLTL: Thursday, 1/25: 2.4/3,159,000

8.(6) GL: Thursday, 1/25: 2.2/2,914,000

9.(9) PSNS: Thursday, 1/25: 1.6/1,943,000

FRIDAY, JANUARY 26, 2007

1.(1) Y&R: Friday, 1/26: 4.3/5,883,000

2.(2) B&B: Friday, 1/26: 3.0/3,987,000

3.(8) GL: Friday, 1/26: 2.4/3,263,000

4.(3) GH: Friday, 1/26: 2.6/3,256,000

5.(6) DAYS: Friday, 1/26: 2.4/3,212,000

6.(4) ATWT: Friday, 1/26: 2.3/3,179,000

7.(5) AMC: Friday, 1/26: 2.4/3,056,000

8.(7) OLTL: Friday, 1/26: 2.4/3,023,000

9.(9) PSNS: Friday, 1/26: 1.5/1,831,000

• Members

Steve, I wasn't talking about January but November and December. Shelle were on those months but not nearly as much as they are now. The big three supercouples dominated November and December. It's like I said, the stories eb and flow and rotate. Sami and Lucas were not a focus for most of November and early December and then they were thrown back into it mid-December. Bo and Hope were front burner all of last year and then people are upset they aren't on. They need a break and Bo was on still plenty enough. Marlena was too.

I agree with you about Victor and Maggie but it's better compared to what it used to be. I will always take 6 times a month. Victor has been used fine IMO. He is guiding his son. I never expected him to be featured more then 10 times a month. 4 is a little low but it's not horrible. John Aniston is recurring after all. I do wish we saw him more too but it's better then nothing and then what alot of other soaps do.

• Members

I understand things better as far as the Shelle thing goes, but I honestly do think that Hogan messed up in January. I understand that stories need to rotate. I do that in my blog and wish all the soaps did, but Hogan should have planned things out better. I was really getting back into the groove of the show in December and many people were. And then bam he turns the balance of the show way out of whack in January. He should have spaced things out better as far as the ebb and flow.

January has just really hurt him and it is showing in the ratings. If he could have kept the tide going that he built up to in December I don't think Days would have dropped again. Three 2.4's in one week is not good. It was quite a few weeks since Days even saw one 2.4 in a week and that was last week and then this week they got 3 of them.

I just hope he learned his lesson. I honestly don't feel it was even as much about the majority being under 30 that he featured - it was more of who he featured. Most people don't like Mimi and Max but they got a lot of coverage. The couple that most people are excited about among the young set is Max & Abby but he keeps pushing Nick & Chelsea. Nick is growing on me, but I am not ready to see him this much. Chelsea is still a character that people are getting used too. She is getting better and people are accepting her, but having Mimi, Chelsea and Nick featured so much just wasn't good IMO. People keep saying they like Mimi better as supporting. Well in January she was featured enough to be a lead again like JER was making her.

I just think he messed up. I know that there were many times esp. last week that Days was just noise in the back of the room for me. There just wasn't anything to hold my attention. And alot of it is who was featured.

• Members

Well, Steve, the ratings held through most of January. Days only dropped just right now so it wasn't a bad month for Hogan as far as numbers go. Last week, nothing happened. If something did, I think the numbers would've been better then 2.5.

I see your point though but I think Hogan planned it ok. It wasn't a disaster. Only one drop for the whole month is actually pretty good.

As for Nick and Chelsea, they have their fans. Max and Abby are the bigger couple but Nick and Chelsea have quite the following. They shouldn't be on this much but them being a major focus is not a bad thing IMO.

We'll see what this month brings though.

• Members

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

When was the last time that happened? They deserve it lately.....This show has been rocking lately and has been the most compelling soap on the air right now. I just hope the momentum is carried over to next week because it has been fantastic. They deserve emmys for drama and acting over the last 2 weeks!!!!

Archived