OLTL: Recap of John-Paul Lavoisier's day of switching places

• Members

From: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=132157

life450x310.jpg

Stephanie Ryan, instructor at Golden Slippers Dance Studio, here with John-Paul Lavoisier of “One Life to Live,” spent a day this week with the cast of the soap. BILL TIERNAN PHOTOS/THE VIRGINIAN-PILOT

By ROY A. BAHLS, The Virginian-Pilot

© January 19, 2007

VIRGINIA BEACH - John-Paul Lavoisier stepped in front of a dance class Thursday and treated the students to a short moon walk and funky body twists.

"We are going to ride the horse, get to the tree, pluck an apple, bite the apple, toss it away, stop and shake your butt," he said while acting out the words.

A dozen young leotard-clad dancers gaped and giggled.

Lavoisier isn't known for his smooth moves.

He's more easily recognized as Rex Balsom, the reformed bad boy on ABC's "One Life to Live."

Cue the soap opera music.

"I've never been in a dance room like this before in my life," Lavoisier acknowledged, holding forth in a mirrored studio at Golden Slippers Dance Academy in Virginia Beach. "I've seen 'Fame,' but that's as close as I've gotten."

But a deal's a deal.

Local dance instructor Stephanie Ryan won an ABC contest, where she would swap jobs with a soap opera star.

Ryan, 19, spent a day with the "OLTL" cast earlier this week.

Thursday, it was Lavoisier's turn to teach Ryan's class here.

At 9 a.m., the dancers clustered in Golden Slippers, waiting for the soap star to arrive. They passed around a picture of Lavoisier and stole glances at the ABC camera crew.

"He's here," shouted Ryan.

The dancers poured out the door, flowing into the parking lot toward Lavoisier as he arrived.

"I'm going to dance and prance," Lavoisier announced.

He was accompanied by Bob Guiney of "The Bachelor," who will host the job-swap segments when they are broadcast in February.

Ryan stepped up and offered the dancer-for-a-day a tutu.

"Do you have a leopard-print one?" Lavoisier asked with a smile.

The actor, 26, chose to dance in his own gear - gray pajama bottoms, black socks and a white T-shirt with a picture of another "OLTL" character, police commissioner Bo Buchanan.

Why Bo?

"He's my love interest on the show," Lavoisier joked.

On to the class.

"I have no idea what we are going to do today," Lavoisier admitted with a laugh.

Ryan led the group through warm-up exercises. After the leg stretches Lavoisier grimaced and slipped into a low Spider-Man-inspired attack pose.

The girls - ages 8 to 17 - giggled more.

"The things we do before we die," Lavoisier said, wiping his brow.

Then the class dropped into the splits. Lavoisier sat that one out.

"I can do some push-ups," he offered.

Next, Lavoisier struggled through high kicks.

"TV gold, baby," yelled Guiney. "TV magic!"

The students smiled and performed their own high kicks.

"I can't wait to see that on TV," Lavoisier told them. "Millions of people are going to see you."

The actor faked his way through some leaps, a little ballet and a short comedy routine.

"He's really funny," said Beach student Emily Hardt, 17, during a break. "He's really nice, too, and down-to-earth and everything."

Hardt had seen Lavoisier on TV, but "he usually comes on when I'm at school, so I haven't seen him that much.

"It's really neat dancing with him because he's on TV and he's right in our studio, " she said.

Lavoisier wasn't sure why he was chosen to become a dance instructor for a day.

"They just asked me and I said, 'Sure, why not?' Seriously, I didn't know it was going to be so demanding.

"I'm ready for a nap and it's only 10:15."

And how about another life to live as a dance teacher?

"Stephanie's job is safe," Lavoisier said. "I don't think I'll be replacing her."

Reach Roy Bahls at (757)446-2351 or [email protected]

2life500x287.jpg

USER COMMENTS

Comments 1 - 2 of 2

Watch the Show! (hide comment)

Great to see someone on a show I have watched since a teen.. Virginia Beach who knows who will show up In our Big City Next??

- Joanne S. - Virginia Beach Watch the Show! (view comment)

Morgan!! (hide comment)

im soo glad that he came to va beach to dance at golden slippers. one of my best friends got to dance with him and was very happy about it.

- kiersten byerly - va beach Morgan!! (view comment)

Comments 1 - 2 of 2

• Members
The actor, 26, chose to dance in his own gear - gray pajama bottoms, black socks and a white T-shirt with a picture of another "OLTL" character, police commissioner Bo Buchanan.

Why Bo?

"He's my love interest on the show," Lavoisier joked.

JPL can always crack me up! :lol:

• Members

He was accompanied by Bob Guiney of "The Bachelor," who will host the job-swap segments when they are broadcast in February.

WTF is up with Fron's hard on for this man?!? WTF?!

Hardt had seen Lavoisier on TV, but "he usually comes on when I'm at school, so I haven't seen him that much.

Let this be a lesson to all you assholes catering to a younger demographic. They can't even WATCH the show considering they are in school!

Archived