ATWT: Thursday 1/18 discussion

• Members

I really don't know what it was about today's show but it really seemed off to me, and totally boring in what should have been a great show, I think it might have been a combo of bad writing, bad editing, and bad directing, but something was very off.

The Carly/Simon/Jack scenes were ok, but I expected it to be much better than it was, especially after the last 6 painful months we have been through with them.

Tull/Emily/Dusty scenes were a total snoozefest, did not even keep me interested

The Tom and Margo scenes were ok, but even those scenes seemed to be lacking something.

The Parker and Paul scenes were pretty good today though, again I love this Parker.

But all in all for such a published great show they were promising I did not see anything all that great about it.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know who Mimi Leahy is? Besides being the scriptwriter who totally blew chunks today?

Sorry, but the PGP blog said today was supposed to be a BIG day for ATWT's couples, and it wasn't. It was a better day for Paul who finally seemed nearly human when he was talking to Parker. And it took me quite a while to figure out what the [!@#$%^&*] Paul's visions were about. (He's faster than Ma Bell, since he seemed to know instantly that Carly was going to get away right after Simon hit Jack.) And just when I thought Carjack got a semi-sweet ending, they had to slap my face with yet another stupid "I wuv you" between Carly & Simon. UGH!!!!

Dusty and Emily??? Well, I didn't think I could think they're perfect for each other--but after today, with KMH's hysterical sobs and GM's hammy huge swings at Tull? Yep...they're a match made in hell.

Line of the day....(after Lily says she can't resist a broken cookie...) Faith: One? Try ten. ROTFLMAO!!!!

• Members

Roger is doing a great job with this story but for real? Can we get Paul a story where he gets his Stenbeck on? Even the baby switch worked in that regard. He should be mixing it up with Craig, Dusty, Emily and yet he's with...Parker. Who I like, and their scenes are fine...but...really? And the visions? Again....where is the STENBECK? The guy's a mess, why give him this when you could really dig into his character instead of giving him 'super powers' or whatever.

Poor Emily :( I'm glad Dusty helped her even if I don't like them as any more than as reluctant allies....

That split screen of CarJack was nice.

• Members

Mimi Leahey was a great writer at Another World. I remember being thrilled with her work, although I can't point to specific episodes. Same with AMC, where she was script editor -- the real turn against it seems to have come after she left the writing staff.

It was her first day; I'm sure she'll get better.

• Members

That was the only saving grace for me. For this show to be hyped as "can't miss," I thought it was pretty bad. :angry: Even Tomargo's scenes seemed off, and I always love them. It was nice seeing Lucinda, and I liked Paul being a big brother/uncle type to Parker, but the psychic stuff was a big turn off.

Dusty being the hero and saving the damsel in distress.....zzzzzzz........been there, done that! :rolleyes:

• Members

Hmm, I just went to the PGP blog and all the stuff it says to build up Thursday January 18th does actually seem to have happened -- just not on Thursday the 18th. It really mostly happened on Tuesday the 16th, which really was good! Some carried over into Wednesday the 17th as well.

Just take a look at all the pictures -- they are almost all from the Tuesday the 16th episode, with a couple from Wednesday the 17th.

Is it just me? Am I looking in the wrong place?

An innocent dating mistake? Or does this mean someone is editing out whole chunks of episodes at the last minute, reordering scenes, and making other behind-the-scenes changes? Someone riding in to fix ATWT? ... (I don't think I'm the only one who feels the show has been substantially better since Monday the 8th?)

Was this stuff supposed to air on January 18th, but pushed up by the "fixer" recently in his or her editing of the show?

That would also explain the feeling of choppy editing that some people commented about on today's episode.

Incidentally, I think it's potentially significant that TPTB chose Richard Culliton to be the scriptwriter for these big turning point scenes (assumng the scenes were actually, as I believe, on Tuesday the 16th and Wednesday the 17th -- both days that Culliton was credited).

• Members

I actually liked today's show. :lol: But I do agree the editing was very choppy. I think they wanted to build up suspense with their editing. Again, Jean Passanante has totally ruined another character. Carly letting Simon hit Jack while she watched was unforgiveable and horrifying. I lost all respect for Carly. Jack deserves so much better.

So was that Carly's last airdate? I thought she was going to turn herself in. I had read some spoilers that said she was. Either way Carly is forever ruined for me. Jack better not take her back.

It was a treat to see Lucinda and Barbara today. I loved that Lucinda mentioned Worldwide. :)

Tom and Margo are always great to see. And so are Holden and Lily.

Dusty and Emily didn't bother me as much as I thought they would.

I thought Mimi Leahy's first script was good. It just needed more dialogue in it. I felt I was missing some key scenes.

• Members

I think what should have happened today is the following to have made it better for me, number one Dusty/Emily/Tull should not have been on today's show, they just did not fit with the script of the day at all, IMO. The Tom and Margo scenes needed to have more dialogue with them and scenes, sort of like what soapsuds was saying about missing dialogue. Also The Lily/Faith/Holden/Lucinda scenes as much as I love these characters the scenes needed to be much shorter today as again they really did not fit to well, but they fit alot more than the Emily crap, so leaving them in would have been fine but I would have made them shorter scenes or less airtime. I feel that today most of the airtime should have gone to the departing Carly and Simon, number one they have been the focus of alot of shows for the last 6 months and it would have been fitting to have a great exit show for them, and would have made alot more sense If I was figuring right with my time today, Simon/Carly/Jack got the lowest amount of airtime of anyone today, they should have had the most, and again like soapsuds said it needed alot more dialogue than what was there.

• Members

I think somehow the spoilers got shook up. I could have sworn in the day-by-days today Tom was supposed to be wheeled back in to the operating room today. And the blog was clearly off (which isn't that new for Alina, but I digress...). It should have been billed as a big can't miss week instead of being aimed as a big day.

I'm not sure how Carly bears the brunt of your displeasure, when she offered to give herself up, and it was Jack's plan to get hit in the head. I wish TIIC would have just left it with Carly getting deported (there was a sweet Carjack good-bye..), let Simon run off, and had Jack show up while she was interrogated, and then promise to keep working to get her back once she was dragged off to Leonia. But nnnnooooo... they just had to pimp Simon as a hero and the SCar "love". [bleep-bleep-bleep]---jerks!!!

The repeated "is she or isn't she going to jail??" and turn arounds kind of undercut the drama of Carly's departure.

• Members

I forgot to mention that I loved the ending. In Jack's heart he knew it was over between him and Carly.

But if Carly really loved Jack she would have never let Simon hit him. She should have gone to the police station and turned herself in without involving Jack. I loved how Margo realized Jack was lying. Those were good scenes as well. Margo told Jack you still love her don't you. And it was written all over Jack's face that he still was in love with Carly.

• Members

Another thing that really pissed me off about the Carly/Jack scenes, I am not saying they were not good, but they could have been alot better, but Jack needed to give Carly the compass, that would have brought the scenes home for me, and it would use history very well, leaving out the compass was not a good move on JP or whoever wrote today's show. I never really felt the urge to cry today, which I should have, I even cried during the Police station scenes, but not today with Jack and Carly, the writer did a horrible job of getting the drama across to me. Like PJ said they made it all about Carly and Simon, and not about Jack and Carly which it should have been.

• Members

I also thought I read a spoiler that said Margo receives some bad news about Tom. What happened to that spoiler?

Well, if Carly truly loved Jack. No matter what Jack wanted she should have never agreed. I am sorry but if I was supposedly had been so in love with someone and then allowed somebody else to hit him. Where was the love I had for that person? Carly was plain wrong. She should have just left with Simon and then later let Simon go. Then, she should have gone and turned herself in without involving Jack.

• Members

Maybe the "bad" news was that Tom popped out of bed...*rme*. Seriously, sometimes the spoilers for this show suck.

Oh, GOD, they couldn't even give us the compass, could they? Assholes. And in spite of the SCar "I wuv you", I don't think it signaled anything was over between Carly and Jack. I think Carly finally believed Jack was sincere when he's said he wanted to give them another shot, and Jack is clearly still in love with Carly, even if he thinks he might never see her again.

Archived