DAYS: "Unlikely to continue past 2009..."

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That isn't confirmed though, PSNS cancellation is. Don't hate the playa hate your "genious" of a writer JER for making PSNS sucks for YEAAAAAAAARS on end, thats why PSNS is cancelled, not Zuker's fault as he has to make a business decision.

• Members

If its coming from Zuker then there's nothing that can be done. I'm just going to enjoy my remaining 2 years with my Hortons and Bradys, maybe start archiving some more. If it ends, it ends. Atleast we now have Hogan Sheffer to give us a show we can be proud to watch again, and Days will end on a high note. The same can't be said for Passions. I'm just sad they wasted so much time on JERk instead of getting him back in 2005 when they first started talking about this.

• Members

I'm proud of Days.

For 45 years, it's stood there through it all.

Count the number of soaps that have come and gone since then. Through it all, Days has been there, standing like a rock.

And in 2009, it'll be the lone soldier... the one who lasted through it all... the last soap standing.

My show has accomplished something that another NBC television program will never accomplish, and I'm quite proud.

• Members

Brightside, the better question to ask is, "Will affiliates continue to invest in a show that they now know won't be on in two years?"

We are soap fans. There are soap fans out there in the world. DAYS will have an audience, as long as the affiliates continue to air it. But, now that NBC says they probably won't air DAYS past 2009, that gives affiliates the justification to drop it before the finale.

The word is OUT! Write to the affiliates, write to NBC, lobby outside TODAY.

With the news that NBC doesn't have long-term plans in continuing DAYS OF OUR LIVES(and that is coming straight from the mouth of a HIGHER UP AT NBC), I'd be willing to bet that affiliates will be dropping the show left and right, some probably in the fall. Affiliates make more bucks in local advertising anyway...if DAYS isn't performing at the level they want AND if they know the show won't be around in 2009 or probably before then(THE EDGE OF NIGHT, anyone?!), why would NBC encourage the affiliates to keep the show on until then?!

I hope Corday has a contingency plan. I'd love to see the show go to CBS if the PGP soaps are cancelled. DAYS on ABC or SOAPnet would fall victim to micromanagement, creative control, and Brian Frons's obsession with blondes and BABES.

*SIGH* I need a drink!

Well, maybe in Canada and some parts of the US...

• Members

Well...I have to go soon, but I do have to wonder...

What is it about DAYS that makes its coochie so damn desirable? If more and more soaps will be dead by 2009, and if all the nets want to just let them go, why IN THE HELL would CBS even want to pick DAYS up? Or NBC?

A lotta people have managed to contradict themselves in this thread. DOOM! DOOM! SOAPS EXTINCT BY 2010! But CBS is gonna pick up DAYS!

I mean for goodness sake, while you're praying that CBS cancels ATWT or GL for DAYS, can you please think about the fans of THOSE shows? And not act so nonchalant? No ATWT fan who's been watching since before DAYS was even a thought in anybody's mind is going to welcome DAYS with open arms upon the death of ATWT. Same can be said for GL.

Some people might not want to hear this, and I don't know where it's coming from...but this thread, for me, has conjured up strange images. I'm seeing an old, frail woman, lying in her hospital bed. She's been watching GL since 6/30/52. She listened to it when it first came on radio. She's been a devoted fan since the VERY beginning. 72 years, once 2009 gets here. She's been following this show since she was a 16-year-old young woman! ALL of her family is gone. There's absolutely nobody left. But "Guiding Light" is still there. And then when she turns the TV on...and it's DAYS coming on in GL's place...and the nurse (a fellow soap fan) tells her that GL's been cancelled so that DAYS can have a place to go...this old woman dies.

It's grim and probably would never happen, but that's how this all makes me feel. Soaps should be cancelled for their own reasons, not just to accomodate another. And if the long-running GL cancellation rumors come true, well then that'd be a different story. But if (by some other-wordly miracle) GL somehow escapes those rumors for good and gets up to the AMC/OLTL level ratingswise, it'd be a slap in the face of fans to cancel it and replace it with DAYS.

The moral of the story is...NO SOAP IS EXPENDABLE! If NBC cancels DAYS, then it's cancelled. 44 years is an awfully long time for any show to run, so it's not as if it'd be deemed a failure. Shows get cancelled. None last forever. And whenever AMC gets cancelled or ATWT or any other soap, I'd feel the exact same way. The networks can cancel every single soap on the air, but they can NEVER take away the genre's legacy.

• Members

I agree.

People seem to be so sure that Days will be picked up on another network.

Everywhere I go, everyone's like, "Oh, I'm not worried. Days is popular and another network will pick it up."

Says WHO?

If networks are looking to get out of soaps, why would they be interested in picking up a new one? Unless ABC and CBS aren't quite as ready to give up as NBC. We shall see.

• Members

I suspect that GH and Y&R would deny that. GH is arguably more famous and Y&R has had higher ratings for more than two decades.

Incidentally, why would ABC have any interest in picking up Days? How would that be to ABC's benefit? Days ratings aren't substantially better (in actual numbers of viewers) than AMC or OLTL. And ABC owns AMC and OLTL. What that means is that ABC gets a bigger cut of the profit. What that also means is that ABC profits from those shows' syndications (abroad and on SoapNet). Days is owned by Sony and Corday. They -- not the network -- profit from syndication. The networks get nothing. And, because they only pay broadcast rights. The only profit they see is the direct rating when initially broadcast. So even if Days would have a slightly higher rating, it poses a substantially lower profit margin for a network like ABC which has traditionally owned its soaps rather than buying them from a production company like Sony.

• Members

All My Shadows, BRILLIANT post. I would resent any soap, even DOOL, if they came over to CBS and take over ATWT. I rant about ATWT, but there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd go for getting ATWT canceled for Days. If the show ends, it ends. It's devastating, but other soaps shouldn't be sacrificed to save other soaps. Thank you for point this out.

• Members

I never said that. I think DAYS jumping to ABC is a more realistic vision than CBS, but that is beside the point.

I have not called for the cancellation of GL and ATWT. I ENJOY GL and have on and off since I started watching soaps.

To me, GL is not just a soap. It is a tradition.

And I think PGP would pull the plug on GL and ATWT before CBS would. I'd rather have another soap in line to take its place than for the affiliates to eat that hour up with nonsensical talk shows and reality bullshit.

I see that happening or I also see AMC/OLTL sinking lower than GL. Anything could happen at this point and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it did.

EricaKane4Life...come on. Give you opinion. I see you eyeing these posts.

• Members

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not funny.

Arabs and stuff threaten to kill her and her children in real life dude.

At least her show ("Young and the Restless") is #1 and DAYS should have kept her in the first place. She caused

a helluva lot more excitement than Harmon Brown and Barbara whatsherface. I don't know why these soaps don't

get it that it's time for CHANGE and "unpredictability". Boof should BE a soap character IMO.

• Members

I agree, whirl. Fronsy can want it all he wants, but it won't be his decision to make. If ABC doesn't want to add a new soap, it won't get a new soap.

...it's unlikely that ANY network really WANTS a new soap. The past week should be an indication of that. Especially now that ABC's about to can one of their own for another hour of GMA!

Archived