AMC Star Pregnant!

• Members

from TVGuide.com

Stork scoop alert! Supercute soap star Sydney Penny (Nurse Julia Santos Keefer, All My Children) is pregnant, TVGuide.com has learned.

Penny and artist Robert Powers, her husband of 11 years, are expecting their baby's arrival in early June 2007. This is the couple's first child.

A show rep says AMC has not yet decided whether to write Penny's real-life pregnancy into Julia's storyline. It would certainly make sense, since Julia has been in a very maternal mood lately. Just the other day, AMC featured a scene where Julia made a Christmas wish for a child.

"I have a feeling that they're going to write my pregnancy in," Penny tells TVGuide.com. "I'm hesitant to definitely say yes or no until I actually see it in a script. That certainly would make it easier for me, because it's so hard to cover it up if you're not going to play the pregnancy. You know, you're carrying luggage and hiding behind furniture."

If Julia does end up preggers, the kid's father would most likely be her hunky on-again, off-again boyfriend, Jamie Martin (Justin Bruening). "Well, I'm guessing that," Penny chuckles. "I'm not aware of any other illicit affairs, but it only takes one flashback, right?"

You never know with All My Children. As I discuss in my book, The Q Guide to Soap Operas, the ABC sudser is obsessed with tales of Children conceived in all sorts of weird ways.

"That's so true!" Penny agrees. "Look at Ryan Lavery (Cameron Mathison), who was a sperm donor years ago, and now he's got all these kids floating around out there. Happily, there's no mystery surrounding my baby at all. I don't have a very soap-opera life. I'm pretty boring. But I can't complain, I'm fine with that!"

Story spoiler alert!

While we're waiting to see if Julia gets preggers on-screen, Penny says that there is a new child coming into her character's life.

"They have written me some lovely stuff," Penny previews. "The holidays are an intense time for Julia. Her friends, Linda and Jim, have an accident on the way to the Christmas celebration at Wildwind. They end up in the hospital. Julia discovers that her friends were going to surprise her by telling her that they've had a child. Unfortunately, the parents deteriorate and they don't recover.

"I'm so pleased with how AMC wrote this story," the actress adds. "Julia gets a child to take care of, but she's mourning her friends and feeling anxiety that by wishing for a kid, she somehow brought this accident on them. It's very emotionally complex and layered."

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First - CONGRATS to Sydney. I love that woman.

Second - They should totally write her pregnancy into the show. It would make sense - she's been wanting a kid for a year now. With the whole Madden thing, and then her wishing on the Christmas star just a couple of days ago, and then this upcoming storyline with Kate.

Finally - I'm so happy they are writing some good stuff for Julia - she's just been in this relationship with Jamie and nothing really happens. I'm so happy that she'll be mixing it up heavily with MEK and Cady in the coming weeks. This will be great stuff! :)

• Members

Ahh Congrats to Sydney!!

I hope they write it into the show. I like Julia and Jamie together and I like the idea of them having a child together. Since Julia has been back she hasn't had to major of a story but I would love it so much if they start featuring her more like they have been recently.

The only downside to this story would be that Brooke will not be around to see her grandchild.

• Members

I am so happy for Sydney and her husband! I wish them both the best. I really hope they write it into the show. It just seems like it would fit since Julia has been wanting a child and made her Christmas wish for one... I am glad AMC woke up and saw what talent Sydney is and is using her again. I was worried Sydney was on the hit list but apparently not now. I am glad.

Archived