Y&R-Shelia Is Alive

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This sounds very confusing to me, not sure what to think. I'm sure it'll lead to some great performances but it's a little too 80s Y&R for my taste. If they wanna bring something back from the 80s, I want the damn catfights!

Since this will most likely be Sheila's swan song, I wish they had gotten Kimberlin Brown back. Phyllis needs to go back to her bad girl ways.

• Members

Ahem, this discussion when LML really took over the reigns has occurred half a dozen times and the more I think of it and judging from various interview is was much earlier than February 2006...

I think, the minute she got the executive consultant title she had influence. Remember when Phyllis & Nick first hit the sheets - it was just after Michael & Lauren's wedding. That was huge musical montage; Y&R really did such things but has done it quite a lot since LML officially became Headwriter...

Therefore, IMO, Latham started meddling with the stories and pushing Smith out at least by January when Sheila had her face-lift done...

And I said already in another post: LML is now ruining Paul (I also think like CRC that he'll be dead by February...) for this sh*t and Sheila beyond repair.

Finally, whereas the writing was really crappy with the Sheila-story to begin with, Kim Brown wasn’t. She was perfection as usual and pulled as much out of it as possible. Yet, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion - Drurocks, you sometimes are a just bit too harsh with criticism and at the same time accept little of that from others when it concerns on your favourites - but this is a trait we share, I guess.

• Members

Mostly a lurker here, but I agree with various threads here.

1. I'm in the "loved Sheila" camp, and feel she was best written during the early Bill Bell/Y&R years, but I've enjoyed her in every incarnation, including the last. I was losing enthusiasm for the Jack Smith Y&R, so Kimberlin's return gave me some reason to enjoy again. I don't agree with many of the negative opinions of that last Sheila storyline, but there is no reason for me to rehash that here.

2. Like many, I am SORRY that Kimberlin is apparently permanently gone from the role.

3. I have hope of seeing Kimberlin again, in an exciting new character, because her lookalike "Sugar" is still in a mental institution, and might bring some interesting new dynamics to the show in the future. If Sugar is sane, then she is basically a victim...and it would be an intriguing new direction to see her.

4. Because of "Sugar" being in the mix, there will always be some uncertainty about whether the locked-up-character we're about to see is Sheila or Sugar (that is, there could have yet another switch we didn't see...)...but let's assume it is Sheila.

5. If it is Sheila, it seems clear to me (as others have written) that this will be Sheila's swan song. So, for those who want her gone, they will be getting what they want.

6. Stafford as Sheila is a LUMINOUS prospect. I can't wait.

7. If "Sheila" had been popping up on our screens since before October, and we didn't know it, then we finally have an explanation for some of the "Stepford wife" scenes many complained about. I personally will enjoy seeing the flashbacks where we were ACTUALLY seeing Sheila but THOUGHT we were seeing Phyllis. Sure, it's convoluted...but I'm not wanting this show to turn into Masterpiece Theater. It sounds different and fun (just my opinion).

8. The biggest concern, which I share with others, is the continued destruction of Paul. Some of this is Doug Davidson's doing, because he hasn't played his role with energy or sexuality in years. (I realize this wasn't written for him, but he also didn't try to deliver enthusiasm as a subtext).

That said, Davidson's character really hasn't recovered from his "islanding" (even his mom is off the show), from his failed marriages (including looking like an idiot during the Isabella years), his neglectful parenting (he pressed Chris for babies, but ignores the fact that he has both Heather and Ricky out there), his lackluster 'romance' with Ashley, and most importantly his RAPE (or whatever they are now whitewashing it to be).

The character really doesn't have a lot left. I fear this deviation from his law abiding nature--to kidnap Sheila--may be a step too far. Especially when it all goes bad, and he is blamed for unleashing Sheila on the world once again.

I predict Davidson will be gone at the end of this storyline.

9. ON THE OTHER HAND, maybe the problem with Paul in recent years is that he has been too herioic? After the rape, the neglectful parenting, and now apparently the kidnapping (and not turning in the murderer he WITNESSED--George Kaplan)...he has "lost his moral center".

For Eileen Davidson, this loss of moral center was used as justification to "rest" the character and have her leave the show. BUT WHAT IF this last story is used to tarnish Paul--break him down--make him lose his business--so he has to start over.

Watching Paul rise from the ashes of his heroic center, to once again become resolutely darker (as he was at his start on the show), could lead to the same kind of character rebirth that I think we've seen with Jack Abbott. The mercurial good-and-bad Jack is now MUST SEE for me...I love every second he is on screen (and that was NEVER true for me before). Maybe this is a way to take Paul in that direction too?

=====

In the end, I must confess that I mostly praise at the altar of Lynn Latham. While there have been missteps since she started (Nazis, Kowbell), I mostly love what she and her team have brought to the show I have loved since 1973. Thus, I keep an open mind here, and I must say I'm really looking forward to the delicious and surprising scenes to come.

• Members

Are you serious? Kimberlin Brown was far from divine. And no I don't think Victoria Rowell is always on. Sometimes she tends to overdo her scenes, when she shouldn't. I may not comment on it, but that doesn't mean I don't realize it. I'm just tired of some of these actors getting the "Nick Newman free pass" because of their stature.

Speaking of Doug Davidson I'm glad he is finally getting a story, which unfortuantely may be his last. But DD was amazing in 2003 during the Isabella and Christine rape stuff. His performances were conflicted and layered. He gets little credit for his work, and in GC he's just the "stupid PI." I hope he knocks this one out of the ballpark.

• Members

As good an actress as Michelle Stafford is, Kimberlin Brown IS THE ONE AND ONLY SHEILA! Shame on LML for writing a story for this character with someone else playing her. Shame on Bradley Bell for letting the character go from B&B and to be destroyed on Y&R. Poor Kimberlin Brown probably can't sleep at night thinking about this sick twist since she loved playing Sheila so much. A sick, sick development.

• Members

Can you be any more rude? Good God!

If people want to criticize this storyline, they should be allowed to. Not everyone worships at the altar of Sheila. I think this story is stupid as well and I have seen Sheila in her glory at Y&R during the storyline where she stole Scotty and passed him off as hers. LML is quickly veering into JER territory here and if she doesn't stop, the show is going to go downhill. The only saving grace of this will be Michelle Stafford's acting.

Archived