November 13-17, 2006

R!ck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was their wedding, ademption. It was also the week of the mob shootout too so to get that sort of number for a much hyped week of events is really sad. I knew they wouldn't score huge numbers. However, this week I actually watched because I heard the Laura goodbye scenes were good and they were so I wonder if GH may hold on to that number or go up +1 or so for that. I don't see a 3.0 but that combined with only 3 days counted could give them a 2.8-2.9. Last Wednesday's episode was the best GH episode since Tony died. I won't be tuning in again but I am glad I watched that episode. As for what a soap has to do anymore to break 3.0, I think timing is important for when you do big events (Christmas/New Year's weeks often see big jumps if something huge happens) but I honestly don't know. The best idea is good, solid storytelling and consistent good episodes with fast pacing. I also think a soap needs one buzz-worthy story to get attention and draw casual fans in.

The ratings for last week will be interesting to see with the premptions and all.

• Members

Considering how GH's ratings had been I don't think they will look at it as a failure. They got a surge like they wanted. And especially after watching last weeks shows with the goodbye I know they won't consider it a failure, because they produced their Emmy reel last week I think. I do believe they will go with Laura's goodbye for their Emmy reel. The acting was top notch, the writing was dead on, and the show packed a strong dramatic punch.

I am sure they wanted a bigger rating but they did get a rise, and they will probably get another Emmy out of it - so I doubt it will be considered a failure.

I considered it one too until I saw the goodbye episode, and was so happy that Laura did get to say goodbye, and then they used the return to move into another story, and that is Laura's innocence. Now if they don't goof it up.

• Members

Steve it wasn't a complete failure but given all the money and hype it certainly was what qualifies as a failure. GH had enough for an emmy reel regardless with Lulu's abortion, the virus, etc. This pretty much cements them with an emmy I would think (as much as I hate saying that) but it's too soon to tell IMO. However, they didn't hype all this for emmy's. That wasn't their first thought. They wanted ratings because of the decline they faced in the summer and while they got then, they only went up to where they were before the drops in the summer. The key is to maintain the high number and everyone knows they won't. Hell, the 2.8 for this week was the best number they got for this return andf I am sure they expected to get that number for the week Laura returned. They had very high expectations so I am sure they beleive they failed even if they win sweeps and had an increase. You know Frons was hoping for at least 3.0.

• Members

Oh, wow!! So that was the week of the wedding then? GH got a lot of mainstream press from Laura's return. I know that L-n-L special showed Genie and Tony's appearance on Access Hollywood right? Plus, they had the extra promotion from Soapnet.

Again, I'm going to have to ask is it possible for the lower tiered soaps (non Y&R/B&B) to ever get back in the solid 3.0s again? If so, what is it going to take? Or are the 2.0s what 3.0s used to be when most soaps were in the 4.0s?

• Members

I'm relieved to see DAYS went up. It would have been a disaster if they hadn't got some reward for the J&M/S&K stuff. TPTB may have been hoping for a bigger jump but a +2 in any week is positive news. It's also good that they gained ground on GH since they were pimping the L&L wedding like crazy.

Archived