Days: Rumor about future storyline

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow. Days is one of the hottest soaps. Its my #1. and if they did do that i think id turn off Days forever. Or at least for a few years. Yes it happens in real life .. but dont put it on a soap. The ratings would go down. I think with Hogan its suposed to be happy stuff now. And who does he plan for the rapes?

• Members

Um, I don't really know what to say about this.... except that Shawn was raped like twelve times by Jan inside of the cage so he does not need anymore trauma like that.

Will would be interesting... however if it is with Alan, that would be interesting to see but nothing new since I read Alan/Will stuff almost everyday on KR's blog, lol.

Overall I don't know to like this or not like this... it seems interesting but not really very intriguing to me...

• Members

I am not opposed to it if done right which it would be with Hogan. It could actually be good to reflect things that are happening in real life. I guess it depends on who it is. Will seems like the best choice because of Sami but they would need to recast. I don't think it should be someone like Shawn or Philip but I am willing to watch this unfold.

I also don't think that is why Farah, Jason, and Kyle left. It is well known that Jason wanted to leave a year ago but only stayed to play out Shimi. Farah said when she signed her contract that she would only stay until 2008 at most and Kyle was not happpy for awhile so that part of this is ludicrous.

• Members

I think the whole rumor is ridiculous and nothing to it. Hogan doesn't need that sort of shock value which is controversial and likely to tune viewers out than bring in viewers, this one viewer would not turn the TV on for that.

As stated by PR above, Kyle, Farah and Jason had made their plans to leave and had nothing to do with this rumor. In fact, I've read that Farah could stay even if the tune is right.

• Members

Why does everything have to be happy? Not everything is happy in real life and I thought that is what people want soaps, specifically Days, to reflect? I do think the couples deserve happiness but this has nothing to do with the couples unless they are the parent or family of the victim. I know fans want escapism but this is a drama and if everything was happy there would be no drama. This is a serious issue and could turn out to be a phenomenal story. This is the kind of risks Days should and needs to take at times. It needs some mainstream buzz to garner some attention to raise ratings. It's not shock and awe but there needs to be more buzz to get Days going outside of soap fans and with general viewers. This is not a JER risk. This is actually being done to further characters along and I have every confidence Hogan and co will display it in a very respectful light. Under JER, I would turn this down right off the bat but this is not his story. Days usually does pretty bad with stuff like this but under Hogan this could work. I am willing to try. It's controversial but it's something I think that is worthy of attention and that should be played at some point.

I don't think this will kill ratings. Maybe some fans will tune out but not the ones that matter to HH and demos. I don't see that happening. I am not sure this will be played out right now but I do think it could be at some point once Hogan is entrenched and has Days where he wants it.

• Members

Soaps are supposed to reflect on real life. I'm not saying people like it, but no one has a problem when women are raped by men. When that happens, the writer is telling a "good story". There are men out there who have been violated by other men. I think DAYS would cross a milestone if they persued this storyline. And if told right (with Hogan at the helms, it will be), this could be a landmark in Daytime history that people will be talking about for years to come. GO AHEAD HOGAN!

• Members

I think it's silly to talk about this as in depth as we're talking about it until we get some type of confirmation. This is a contraversial issue, and it seems silly to discuss it in detail if it's not going to happen.

• Members

I've been following all of this and just wanted to make one other comment. Someone (don't remember who now) made the comment that Alan would never rape Will because Alan was not gay. Then the last comment about why not a gay storyline - just made me want to make a comment from when I studied rape as part of my Social Work and Psychology classes in college.

For a show to do a male/male rape story effectively and right they need to remember that male on male rape is hardly about sexual attraction. In prison it is more of a need that has to be met, and more about power in most instances. Most of the guys in prison just use it for a sexual outlet, but still find it disgusting for the most part. Also it gives them a sense of power over another individual and establishes them as a leader in a male dominated society. It is also a way to shame another male or an enemy.

Outside of prison it is still much the same way. It is hardly ever about sexual attraction. It is more about power and humiliation. So Alan would not have to be gay to rape Will. At the same time many in the straight community have the idea that if a guy can do that, he has to be gay. But male/male rape is almost always the same as male/female rape and only about domination and power.

I think a male/male rape storyline should be told - if told and written effectively. But it would not be an ongoing story except for the lead up, and the after affects watching the outcome of it all.

A gay storyline should be told too. We need a good one. I think the Luke one on ATWT is proceeding okay. I have some complaints but I think for a teenage coming out story it is being told okay. I would like to see an adult one handled nicely complete with a love affair and all.

Archived