Days: Rumor about future storyline

• Members

I think the storyline needs to be told. Again, it hasn't been done in daytime in several years for anyone to remember. It does happen in real life.

I doubt Brandt, Cook and Fath left becuase of the storyline though. Do you think it even has anything to do with these 3? They all decided to leave even before Hogan came onboard so that's a lie.

I can see Will being the rape victim. They would need to find a better actor that can handle scenes like this because Christopher Gerse just can't do it. It would bring Lucas and Sami together, or it may just tear them apart. It would be such good drama. The only problem with this possibility is the fact that Hogan wants LUMI to be the new comical couple (ala Jack and Jennifer). I don't see anything funny about male rape so maybe Will isn't going to be the victim.

I don't want to see Shawn as the victim either. It wouldn't be believable to me.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Corday would probably object to the storyline, but doesn't Sheffer have the control over the writing? I understood that he was supposed to, but maybe I misunderstood.

I also agree that Brandon Beemer doesn't have the acting chops for this kind of story. I'm just not that enthused over the guy.

As for the rumor about this storyline being the reason Cook, Fath, and Brandt left, is total BS.

I think having Will as a rape victim would be an excellent story, but I'm sorry not with Christopher Gerse. Then again, maybe it would make a lot of sense too, because of how Will looks.

Most likely, a storyline like this will probably not even see daylight.

• Members

That is apparently one of those stories that has gone around in the soap world that really isn't true. Some "Love of Life" fans on another board said that while Ben was in prison he was about to be raped, but then there was a fire in the prison and Ben got out and saved his potential rapist I believe.

• Members

I had heard that too. I have discussed this on my board with some other fans too. Some have that opinion of the story that Ben escaped being raped too. I know that some remember it like I did that even though it was not shown that you know what happened. I guess thinking now years later, it was best to leave it like that and not discuss it much.

I do remember a quote from a book called "The Soap Opera Book". I don't have the book any longer (lost it along with many others), so don't remember who wrote it. But it was the 1970's. But a quote from it said it was an attempted rape too: "This year on Love of Life, Ben Harper was convicted of bigamy and sent to prison. At first his imprisonment was marked by boredom and depression; later he learned of the violence that is equally characteristic of prison life. He was subjected to physical attacks, and even to attempted rape.

The show tried to realistically depict the cruelty and degradation experienced by men behind bars. (In addition, this story marked the first time that male rape was ever discussed on a daytime serial.)"

I remember Christopher Reeve discussing the role once on a talk show - could have been on James Lipton's show. He said that he knew about the proposed story, but was already leaving to take on the role of Superman. It was Chandler Harben's first story as Ben. I remember him saying that the character was raped, but he didn't say if he saw the show or not.

Here is a pic that I got some years ago of Chandler Harben as Ben during the prison story. I don't remember who the other guys were, but some of them look familiar. I didn't save the caption for some reason.

BenHarperinprisonLOL.jpg

I guess some will debate it for years, and maybe that is what the writers wanted. I do know that most historians agree with those of us who say the rape happened. But who knows for sure.

• Members

I don't see the big fuss about a male/male rape scene as brutally as they rape women on soaps. It's actually a common thing for women and nobody seems to care. I remember being particularly disturbed during Bianca's rape on AMC and Emily's on GH.

The closest thing to a male rape would be Kevin getting beat up in prison. That was pretty heartbreaking.

• Members

IF they recast Will with someone who could act, I'd think it'd be great to have Will be the victim, should it happen to begin with.

Think of the possibilities of Sami confronting her own past rape while trying to deal with Will's.

Sweeney would ROCK those scenes.

Um, I'd doubt that Alan would rape Sami's son to get revenge on her. He's not gay.

Archived