Heroes / Heroes Reborn: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Please get Hiro out of 17th century Japan!! What the hell was Tim Kring thinking when he thought of this?

And I hate how characters are on for the teaser and then don't show up until the last act, like Peter last night!

Heroes is too slow right now. Talk about a sophmore slump!

• Members

Heroes, Star Trek star Quinto lands at UTA

"Heroes" star Zachary Quinto has leaped to UTA.

With his roles on one of TV's top series, "Heroes," and in one of the most anticipated movies, the J.J. Abrams-directed "Star Trek," the actor has become a hot commodity, sparking the interest of major talent agencies.

Quinto, who had been represented by SMS Talent for the past several years, took meetings with several big agencies -- ICM, WMA and UTA -- before making the decision.

Ultimately, it may have come down to persistence. UTA has been aggressively pursuing Quinto for the past two years since he starred opposite Tori Spelling on VH1's "So Notorious," which the agency packaged.

"Their interest and support of my work had been so strong, that it factored heavily into my decision," Quinto said. "I found them to be the most excited, enthusiastic and consistent in their pursuit."

Quinto follows the familiar Hollywood path of breakout actors, who often are developed by a smaller agency before they are scooped up by one of the big full-service agencies that offer them career expansion into new arenas including producing and endorsements. Still, that didn't make Quinto's decision to leave SMS any easier.

"I feel like the nature of the business is such that things are constricted so much, and I feel (switching) was a necessity," he said. "But I gave it a tremendous amount of thought and have nothing but respect and gratitude for the work (SMS) did for me."

Quinto is a sci-fi king right now with his roles as the evil Syler on NBC's "Heroes" and the Vulcan Spock in "Star Trek," but he was cast against type in both of the roles.

Syler was originally a small part (three to four episodes) for an older actor with proven villain chops. Quinto was coming off a gay character role in the comedy "Notorious" and playing a tech guy in a recurring role on Fox's "24." He auditioned anyway and, after a series of tests, ultimately got it.

When he did a work session for Spock with the "Trek" casting director in June, the response he received was that, after seeing his tape, Abrams "wasn't convinced" he was right for the role and had to move on and see other actors. That changed a couple of weeks later when Quinto met with Abrams. Soon after that, he became the first actor cast in the movie.

Next on the list for the Carnegie Mellon University drama major is returning to his theater roots. He is looking to do a stint onstage in New York during his summer hiatus from "Heroes."

On the management side, Quinto continues to be with Anonymous Content.

• Members

Heroes: Origins: Gone

I can confirm that the plug got pulled on the six Heroes: Origins episodes, one of which I was slated to write and direct. The possiblity of a WGA strike1 made NBC hesitant to prep a series they might never be able to shoot.

I had literally just hit “Print” on my revised outline when I got the call from Tim Kring. So, yeah. I’m bummed. But I get it: It was a lot of money to spend in a very uncertain time. And if the labor situation resolves in an orderly fashion, the series could find itself out of the deep freeze for next season.2

In case we never get to shoot it, my episode is/was called “Rehab.” Not everyone is good with their powers. Not everyone is good, period.

1. I’m bucking convention by not saying “looming” in reference to the strike. ↩

2. One favorite topic of conversation is what will happen to this TV season if there is a prolonged break. It’s not unlikely we’ll get a second, shorter season to finish up the year. ↩

• Members

NBC holds 'Heroes' spinoff

Possible strike might have influenced decision

By JOSEF ADALIAN

NBC is putting the kibosh on "Heroes: Origins" -- and the possibility of a strike contributed to the decision.

Net has indefinitely shelved production on the planned six-episode spinoff of its Monday hit. Skein -- which had attracted heavy hitters such as Eli Roth, Kevin Smith and Michael Dougherty ("Superman Returns") -- was set to unfurl later this season while "Heroes" was on hiatus.

Now NBC has decided to not move forward with the production, at least for now.

Peacock wasn't talking Wednesday, but people familiar with the situation said NBC U entertainment co-chairs Ben Silverman and Marc Graboff didn't want to move forward with the project given the financial uncertainties of a possible WGA work stoppage.

Indeed, it's believed that all unproduced NBC production commitments are being re-evaluated in light of a likely strike.

"Heroes" also has been facing sophomore growing pains, losing some key staff members. Trying to take on the production of six more episodes of a hugely complicated, mythology-based skein might have proven to be too difficult, especially given the possibility that all production could halt soon.

Insiders cautioned that "Heroes: Origins" isn't completely dead and could very well be revived at a later date, perhaps as soon as next season.

Move comes as the original "Heroes" has been taking a drubbing from critics, who've complained loudly about storyline direction on the show this season. Ratings for the show also have been disappointing, with any hopes of a season-two surge in the ratings now faded.

Peacock insiders, however, insisted creative reasons weren't behind the temporary shutdown of the spinoff. Peacock execs believe future episodes of the show will return the skein to its season-one form.

Separately, NBC has put its musical quizzer "The Singing Bee" on hiatus for the November sweep. Its absence will be filled by an expansion of "The Biggest Loser" to two hours.

• Members

Tonights episode was fanfreakingtastic..Best episode of the season, and one of my alltime favorites...I love that Kensei is Adam Monroe..Its a twist i saw coming, but i love that they went there..And i was so happy they brought Hiro back to current times..He finally got to hear that they saved the world, and found out his father is dead..Masi was great tonight...Also the Nikki stuff was awesome, it was cool seeing DL..and i was shocked she injected herself with the disease...Of course there wasn't going to be a cure...

Finally, Peter in the future was pretty crazy..We heard that Nathan died with the first strain...Next weeks looks great, with the flashback to four months ago...Can't wait to have some more questions answered...And i'm excited to see Kristen Bell again..

Archived