Brothers & Sisters: Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think anyone even cares, but what an awful premier--and here I was actually hopeful changes like getting away from Robert and the politics, etc, would be an improvement. Most telling to me was how lazy the writers were with just simple details, and how been there/done that the rest felt.

I'm no big Tommy fan, but why did they even bring him back last season to have him gone now and no mention of him even sending flowers to Robert's funeral? Sara (poor Rachel G, one of the best actresses on primetime saddled with a character no one has any idea what to do with for the past three seasons) actually said at one point, about moving to France, "God knows I have absolutely nothing holding me back here". Umm yes you do--you share custody with two fairly young children... The walkers in general have become this completely self absorbed mess of a family who don't even seem to know that the outside world exists (which is fitting since they've completely forgotten about half sibling Ryan again now that he's saved Kitty). The kicker? Note ONE mention or appearance of Robert's "beloved" two children from his first marriage wahtsoever--when it came to decisions about getting him off life support, or at the funeral... Again it's lazy writing--just add some mention and you're good--and just makes the clan feel that much more self absorbed. I could easily go on and on... (and again, lazy, like how early it's been telegraphed that Kevin's gonna try to adopt that kid).

I admit, out of my love for this show early on, and some loyalty to some of the actors, I'll prob watch till the end, but at this point I don't see any reason to even have a full season.

• Members

This show was awful from the start, if you look at it in a way. Baitz has a lot of fault because it was him who wanted to politicize it. It was doomed the moment the senator was brought in. Awful, cliched, done a million times story.

I just really can't escape the feeling of how undercooked to whole series was right from the start.

• Members

I have to admit that the more I look back on it, the more I realize it never lived up to its potential. That said, there's no denying that Baitz's era was superior IMHO--even if I just randomly watch an episode the characters actually seem to, well, be characters--they're not just lost floundering. It feels almost like a different show.

I do agree that Baitz' politics (which the plays of his I know aren't as heavy in) were a problem but he at least dealt with them in a more relatable way. Since he left we've been left with these very left with, Republicans (which makes it impossibel to have any interesting argument with them), the character of Robert which made the show even less relatable as a family drama due to it being about these lofty people who were this close to becoming President and his family, ABC shot down Baitz' attempt to actually have the Walkers deal with the fact that they're kinda hypocrites living such an extremely wealthy life with the rhetoric they spout--basically all the real potential conflict is removed from the situation and you're just left with a boring framework of politics.

I dunno. I do agree with you that that was always a flaw--I don't think I realized it as much at the time because at least I could enjoy the show on an episode to episode basis. But it's just so far off the map now, there's really nothing to be done.

• Members

One thing I'm a bit surprised with, is according to Wiki, the year to year average ratings have actually stayed fairly consistent. I woulda assumed they'd be slipping...

Seasonal rankings (based on average total viewers per episode) of Brothers & Sisters on ABC:

Season Timeslot (EDT) Season Premiere Season Finale TV Season Rank Viewers

(in millions)

1 Sunday 10:00PM September 24, 2006 May 20, 2007 2006–2007 #37 11.0

2 Sunday 10:00PM September 30, 2007 May 11, 2008 2007–2008 #38 10.7

3 Sunday 10:00PM September 28, 2008 May 10, 2009 2008–2009 #33 10.7

4 Sunday 10:00PM September 27, 2009 May 16, 2010 2009–2010 #34 10.4

• Members

This data is probably correct but during season 1 or even season 2, they still showed some reruns which were included in the ratings I guess.

I didn't mind last season which after a messy start took off. But the finale felt so directionless that I'M still going to wait to begin with the current season.

That the show never lived up to its expectations is however very much the truth. It's a good show, thanks to the actors and some storylines/scripts but the overall direction is very disappointing.

• Members

Yeah that finale shoulda set me up for lower expectations than I had (not that I had particularly high ones).

Totally agreed with your last comment. While I agree with Sylph that even the early season 1 had conceptual flaws (Baitz had never done tv before, to be fair--I loved reading how candid he was in his weekly blog), I still think the start of the end was early on when ABC didn't trust the writers and dictated things like less focus on Nora and the older crews, the whole bimbo blonde sleeping with the brothers plot (which is apparently largely why Baitz walked), etc.

• Members

Well. The premiere was utter shite.

I've realised that B&S has a history of the same pattern every season. Starts out dull, grabs me in the middle and builds up to a great finale and then squanders every single remote story possibility in the proceeding season premiere.

There were so many interesting aspects to the end of last year. The water at Narrow Lake throwing Holly into a new business with the Walkers without the Walker legacy attached, Saul's HIV, Rebecca and Justin's marriage shaking, Robert dying...yet none of these were picked up properly. It was like a group of completely different writers took over during hiatus.

Kitty left Robert as a vegetable so they could do some sub-DOOL-face-hidden-by-a-variety-of-inanimate-objects hospital scenes? And then Justin talked her into letting Robert go? There'd have been more emotion in Kitty turning off a light switch. Sophie's Choice it wasn't.

Scotty and Kevin adopt an ethnic stereotype. It almost makes me long for the IVF story and that's really saying something.

Nora potters around a flower shop and has apparently "changed" except...there's no evidence of that at all.

Sarah shears her hair off with a lawn mower and gets some ill advised highlights. Oh and incidentally she couldn't give two shits about anyone else in the family.

Rebecca...why even bother writing an exit?

And Holly. What the hell is the point? I know a lot of viewers can't stand the character but I've always found the conflict interesting as a contrast to the family tensions. Her relationship with Sarah is one of the most interesting which is why the water idea had so much potential. Instead she's now isolated from every character on the canvas unless Nora is bringing round a Meals on Wheels delivery.

I cannot express my disappointment with this show enough. They just seem to accidentally write themselves into dramatic story possibilities, panic and go screaming in the opposite direction.

Archived