Brothers & Sisters: Discussion Thread

• Members

I think the writers knew this could be the last season so they ended with a kind of series finale. They had a big wedding with everyone there. Kevin and Scotty adopted a girl and then found out they had a son by artificial insemination from a female they had acquired. Saul got a marriage proposal from his boyfriend.

The Sally Field character commented on how everyone was happy..blah..blah speech. It was a nice one but dont recall it all. It looked like an ending of the show to me.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually I'm okay witht he show ending, it went out with class. I kinda felt like it was the last episode in a way especially with everyone together and Nora basically summarizing the last moment they were all together. Even if they came back I didn't see it lasting more than 1 season.

• Members

The main reason B&S failed was because of ABC. The show had lost steam but the scheduling of the show was awful. That's why the ratings dropped for it and DH. DH was hitting almost 8 in HH and now it's only hitting low 6's. B&S was hitting the 6's and with all the interuptions it fell to the high 5's.

Look at Criminal MInds who only takes a week off at best and then returns with a new show. The show has a healthy 8.6 average rating for this month.

ABC doesnt know how to schedule their shows around preemptions.....

• Members

Soapsuds, I agree with you completely about the scheduling this year. The 2nd half of the season for both B&S and DH was atrociously scheduled. It went something like 2 weeks of new shows, 1 of them against the Golden Globes, 2 weeks off, 1 new show against the Grammys, 2 weeks off, 1 new show, 3 weeks off. (I know that isn't exact, but it was horrible scheduling). It contributed to major drops in both B&S and DH. DH used to get 25 mil viewers, now it struggles to get 10 mil. B&S started high at 16 mil for its first episode and was at 7 mil in the finale.

That being said, KUDOS to the Producers of B&S for being psychic and crafting a season finale (not knowing whether or not they'd be back next year) that also served as an appropriate series finale. It was a very fitting series finale, given that they had no idea if they'd be back or not.

• Members

I'm sad this was canceled -- it wasn't perfect in the last 2 seasons like it was originally (i.e. where in the hell did Patricia Wettig aka Holly go and is she better after the accident???) --- I didn't like Sarah not ending up a Walker either. I still loved the feel of the show though. You could tell it was destroyed by behind the scenes issues.

Calista's character got a horrible and unfinished ending too.

I will say the final episode definitely was written 'in case' of cancelation - the slow motion wedding dance with Nora looking over everyone and discussing over the scene how everyone is happy - oh also to Lady Gaga's Born This Way song - LOL - definitely fitting for what the message of this show was all about.

Anyway, I loved this show as a whole and will miss a part of it.

• Members

Frankly, I don't think B&S ever recovered from the exit of its creator, Jon Robin Baitz. He probably wasn't the greatest showrunner to work for or under, but I feel like his vision for his creation was far more unique than what it became once he was gone.

• Members

I think the show was uneven from the start. The actors saved it. The show was deemed a failure before it ever hit the air, and then the critics were surprised that the ratings were good for a while. Then Rob Lowe's arrival probably helped the ratings, along with some of the fun quip stuff. But Baitz's vision for the characters I was back and forth on. I think his idea of Kitty was probably better than what she became when ABC made changes. I liked his early work with Sarah, and I think that he also had a good touch with Justin and Tommy, the latter being horribly ruined in the second season (although that might have been Baitz's work) and the former going from being soulful and complex to being a loser who was stuck with deadly dull Rebecca.

My main complaint about Baitz was the writing for Kevin, which repeatedly cast him as a pathetic, bumbling loser, a burden to his family, who was to be "saved" by Rob Lowe's brother (on the show I mean, not in real life), a Marty Sue who was cast with an actor who looked very uncomfortable and had zero chemistry with Matthew Rhys (which was quite a feat).

• Members

Then you're a lucky man. They were building up that storyline from the second part of this season and for a moment, I thought they decided to end it with Sarah being William's daughter and not Brody's. Then in episode 18 or 19, not sure, they revealed that Brody (Beau Bridges) lied about his blood type. Nora did a DNA test using Sarah's comb hair and Brody's baseball cap and it was confirmed Sarah is Brody's daughter, not William's. Sarah was upset and she didn't want any contact with Brody, but in the finale she married Luc and Brody walked her down the aisle. Hated it. Ugh.

Archived