Best & Worst "Back from the Dead" storylines

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Zach was on AMC 2.0 and his ass should have remained dead

Best?

No one mentioned but Hope coming back in the early to mid 90s was well done. I loved the mystery behind Gina and it was such a good story bc of the triangle it gave us with Bo and Billie

Worst?

People have made a general statement about RC's GH but I think the current Jake one is the worst bc there was absolutely NO explanation given. It was very poorly done and makes no sense. A mess

• Members

Roger on GL and Hope on Days have to be two of the best. Great stories and impact and a sense of mystery and movement for many characters.

Worst- Phillip on YR. just awful and pointless.

Wasted- Lesley on GH. She should have been more integral and gone back to GH. Just thinking of her and Monica sparring at the hospital, especially if she went for chief of staff. I think in the entire history of the show, she should have been the heir to Steve Hardy when it comes to the hospital. Alan had that dark side they should have utilized more over the years.

• Members

No one in soaps comes back from the dead like DAYS' Stefano, he even has his own return from the dead episode featured line when he looks into the camera and says, "It's good to be back!" along with his evil laugh. Anyone know how many times DAYS has used that line in the episode where he comes back?

• Members

Though I was not a regular viewer of GL, I remember when Alan came back at the masquerade ball. I watched that storyline with my grandmother and she was loving it

For AW I liked the return of Kathleen/Carl. I liked how there was an announcement to the town on a "Live" television broadcast.

• Members

I thought the initial story for Brenda's GH return from the dead was really good. "Amazing Grace" was probably the best montage Guza had done in years. I even liked Jason and Brenda at first. It all devolved into Jax being an ass and really convoluted when Guza was left with a show built entirely around Brenda and then VM left, but it started out really good.

I liked Frisco's return and I like Stefano's return's in the 80's and even the mid 90's, but now I am way over it.

I can't really think of a return from the dead that was really awesome all around. Most have been pretty bad the last 20 years or so. I guess Hope's was okay, but I liked RKK's Bo and Billie and was never a big Bo/Hope fan.

• Members

He also cameo'd in the final episode to set it up, doing a voice-over on the phone with Jesse.

I would've been happy to see him, but I wanted Dixie to continue her building thing with the young doctor - was his name Anders?

• Members

I don't even care if the returns did or didn't work on AMC 2.0 - I was relieved they did not let Stuart stay dead at the end of AMC. His death story was a travesty and would have been a very bitter memory for me.

Best returns:

AJ's return a few years ago would have been OK if they hadn't fired Sean Kanan for daring to have a gut.

Roger Thorpe's return.

Philip's return on GL was also decent, in that they quickly reestablished his importance in Springfield, chose to make him a good guy, didn't dwell too much on his exit or his "evil" turn before he "died," and showed the consequences of his return for his children. And having him throw that Grady loser off a cliff was satisfying as a viewer.

Sierra

Stuart Chandler

Worst:

As others said, Damian Grimaldi.

Philip on Y&R

Victor Lord on OLTL - heinous, a true disaster

• Members

I doubt his return would have much impact on their decision about Cassie.

Even with TB not being a good actor, the story could have worked if they'd bothered to explore any aftermath in his leaving behind his mother, mother figure, wife, and infant son. They didn't. Nor did they explore his being gay. They could have even had a difficult truth that he met Cane via a hookup and Cane was a male prostitute at that point. They did nothing with the story. It was a huge waste of time. They cared more about using it to introduce the [!@#$%^&*] cattle mafia. MAB just wanted a pat on the head for having a token gay story, likely as a failed attempt at balance with the disgusting Adam storyline.

• Members

Below is David Canary's first scene on AW as Edward Black/Steve Frame. At the end of the clip is the "rare" acoustic version of the 1981-87 theme that AW would use periodically. The failure of the return of Steve Frame rests solely with TPTB- Paul Rauch and writer Corinne Jacker tried to recreate a triangle with two of the three characters being recast- had TPTB been able to lure one or both George Reinholt or Jacqueline Courtney back it probably would have worked. Courtney returned in 1984- and this story would have been successful then- whether Steve was played by Reinholt, Canary, or another actor altogether.

http://youtu.be/dbaTY-cxS18

Archived