Jose Ferrer

edgeofnight

• Members

The late Oscar and Tony Award winner, Jose Ferrer (1912-1992) was a longtime resident of my Westchester community. On the occasion of what would have been his centennial (January 8, 2012), I wrote an article about him that was published in our local newspaper.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail and two phone calls from his widow last Thursday evening. Not only did she thank me profusely for the article and complimented me on the extensive research I did, but she also extended me a very unique invitation.

The US Postal Service is issuing a new Forever Stamp honoring Ferrer on Thursday, April 26. Mrs. Ferrer is flying up to NYC for the event which will take place at the prestigious Players Club (16 Gramercy Park South) at 3pm.

Healthwise, I'm not sure I will be able to attend, although it is only a one hour train ride for me. I am having yet another surgical procedure tomorrow. So, I don't know if I will have medical clearance by then. I would love to go.

In any event, I have asked my local elected officials to have a small ceremony outside our post office on that day.

For all you baby boomers and Generation X'ers, Jose Ferrer was the uncle by marriage to superstar George Clooney by way of his marriage to the late songstress Rosemary Clooney (1953-62).

Ferrer won the Academy Award in 1950 for Best Actor for 'Cyranno de Bergerac.'

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived