Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if the breakup of Brown's marriage and relationship with Bryggman didn't somehow play into Marland's writing. I know I've read several blurbs from the actors about how he seemed to channel their personal lives in the writing somehow.

And given what I've heard---that Marland fine-tuned every script before it went on air, I wouldn't doubt he was consumed by his career and might have ignored some warning signs. I know after my father's heart attack, we could see signs we'd missed.

• Members

No wonder his shows were very talky talky and more like gossip then actual conversations people would have in real life. (Regarding fine tuning each script).  I know at GL...that the dobsons had a few writers write each script based on outlines provided by the Dobsons..it was more of a team effort...while Marland came in and seemed like a micromanage.

His plots and pacing were good..but the day to day scripts were weak sometimes.

• Members

I remember one of my screenwriting professors grumbling at us with our bottled water, asking where was the booze and why don't writers drink and smoke like they used to in his day!

Please register in order to view this content

Sadly, a few years later, this professor died of a heart attack.

• Members

Some of his stuff was good and natural...like Nancy asking where the serving spoon was and I liked that people actually used their kitchens and made dinner (in today's soaps its as if no one does anything "normal") and worried about who was going to watch their kids...(in between kidnappings and murder trials..) but when it came down to people having a conversation that moved plot along it was stiff and unnatural and contrary to what someone posted above...everyone sounded the same...like they just stepped out of a touchy feeling group therapy session ("honesty..feelings) GL at the time ..while their plots were sloppier, made their characters sound like real people talking..and sometimes, even the "good" people didn't like other "good" people and made bitchy gossip about them...(Marland's characters were too earnest to do that...)

• Members

I have re-watched some episodes in '85 months before Marland started and believe me, stilted dialogue did not start with his tenure on the show.

Please register in order to view this content

It remember a January 85 episode, in particular where it almost seemed like several actors were trying to ad-lib their lines. Lots of awkward pauses and stumbling over words. The most veteran actors managed well with the dialogue but some of the less experienced characters...no bueno!