ATWT: SOD "Who wants out"?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The sad thing is, if it's Dolan I wouldn't be surprised if they snatched up Hilary B. Smith and finally gave Tom and Margo a story. Now I would LOBSTERFRICKINLOVE seeing Smith back in ATWT, but it would be too sad to enjoy.

Could be Colleen Zenk Pinter, whose character is an absolute joke now. Will be interesting to see this develop.

• Members

I wouldn't blame any of the vets for leaving b/c, honestly, the show has neglected them for so long anyway. :rolleyes: And after what they did to LB, it shows that they have little respect for the history of the show anyway.

MW and MP have been on the show for 10+ years, so I guess they can be considered "vets", but then again, this is the same show where HW has been on for 50 years, so in those terms, they're both practically new! :lol:

I think that if ED left and the show got HBS back and finally gave Tom and Margo a storyline, it would be such a slap in the face. IMO, ED earned the role of Margo during the rape storyline. And it seems like the writers hate SH anyway...Tom is one of the most neglected characters on TV, along with Lisa and Bob...TPTB must really hate the Hughes family. :rolleyes:

• Members

th e wording says "long time star" - not necessarily a veteran like Dolan

Hensely, Byrne, KMH can't be complaining, they are front burner and in good storylines. whos left?

maybe it's Ben Hendrickson.

• Members

It's gotta be Ellen Dolan. And I believe her contract is up in June. I have said for a long time that I bet if they recast Tom and Margo, the writers would write for them. So why can't they do that now?

My favorites were Deas and Colin and I wish they would return. Tom and Margo were SO much fun back then.

• Members

You know Hoggie ignored this couple for so long, minus the two minute liver/transplant storyline, which ended up becoming about Katie and Simon in the end.

He tried to give Margo a storyline with Doc and no matter how much I disliked the character, it wasn't half bad...but I feel totally out of character for Margo.

You know you would think Jean and Chris would learn: we want vets!! We want Tom and Margo involved in a hot story; Bob and Kim together in a storyline; stop force feeding us the teens everyday; stop with the Paul/Meg storyline.

Bob/Susan/Kim: Revisit this piece of Oakdale history. Susan has never been in more need of a good, strong friend. Let Kim get jealous again, much like she was doing during the anniversary eppy were Bob left her that morning without a kiss or whatever. Work Susan into this and then have someone persuade Hal to get with Susan to comfort her at the same time Kim is telling her kiddo of a neice to work it out with Hal. Forming another triangle.

FRESH BLOOD WITH EXPEREINCE (TRANSLATE, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS DAYTIME) That's what is needed.

Don't go Ellen!!

• Members

I agree with you 100%, but sadly the majority of fans must not. The day that fans had a chance to send a loud message to Goutman and all TPTB and TIIC was the ANNIVERSARY DAY (April 3 I think) that the show featured all vets.....7 great ladies. The show was wonderful, but it didn't pull good ratings. In fact the ratings were no better than what the show usually gets even though they were better than the Friday episode celebrating the anniversary of the show.

Fans tuned out and new viewers didn't tune in. So guess what TPTB and TIIC say now they have proof that the vets are not what is wanted. They say that older stars can't pull good ratings. So I'm afraid we won't be getting more.

• Members

I write to ATWT once a month (sometimes more) for about 4 years now, and I always praise them for whatever good work they're doing, and then at the end I always ask for them to give the vets a storyline...or at least to get them involved a lot more in other storylines. It just never seems to work. :rolleyes: I always say that I'm young, that I've grown up watching the show, whatever it takes for them to realize that I'm a devoted fan and whatnot. If you read the letters on the website, there's always at least one that expresses the same thing. There's one up there right now saying how it'd be nice to see the Hughes family more during the summer, like at picnics and BBQs.

The writers could definitely create a triangle w/ Kim and Bob and/or Tom and Margo. But the importance is that they use characters that are already on the show, instead of introducing new characters to break them up.

I would love to see a Kim/Bob/Susan triangle again, or Kim/Bob/Lucinda or hell, even a Kim/Bob/Lisa triangle!! That'd be insane! Or they could bring John back, and create a Kim/Bob/John triangle.

As for Tom and Margo, a Tom/Margo/Jessica triangle would be very interesting. Or Tom/Margo/Hal.

And, of course, the writers definitely should do a Hal/Barbara/Susan triangle ASAP!

Yeah, that really sucked b/c now I'm sure the writers think that using the older cast members will result in lower ratings.

The thing that pisses me off is how people can only watch this show for only a handful of characters. If I just watched the show to see my top 5 characters on then, frankly, I wouldn't be watching the show b/c they've all been backburnered for months...even years. This is something that I definitely see amongst some people: if their fave characters aren't on one day, then the episode sucks or they don't bother watching it. Or if their favourite couple breaks up, they stop watching until they reunite.

I'm not here to tell people that they're fans of the show or not, but honestly...for me, it's difficult to be a fan of ATWT b/c, on one hand I watch the episodes and enjoy them (this year there have been maybe 4-5 episodes that I didn't enjoy) and I still look forward every day to watching the show, whether it's in real time at 2 or from a tape, and almost every time when the show ends, I wished it lasted longer...the hour just flies by. But at the same time the show continues to neglect its veteran cast, continues to bring on characters that I don't care for, and continues to frontburner the same characters.

Short-term, I think ATWT does a fab job because it has amazing acting, great writing, on-par directing, good technical work, etc., but long-term, they have a lot of problems that haven't been fixed in ages. I think that of all of the soaps on daytime, ATWT is the one richest in history and family. Yet those are the two things that the show constantly neglects on a long-term basis. Sure, it's nice to see Lily and Lucinda talk about Lily's teenage years, or about Susan's alcoholism and the effects it had on Emily and Alison, but instead of just using the history for conversational purposes, they could use it instead for storylines. All of the potential triangles that I mentioned before have a lot of history together, so that's what would make those storylines so effective. If JP and the rest of the writing staff can write something as amazing as Luke's coming out, something as heartbreaking as Jack and Carly's break-up, or something as believable as the teen storylines on the show, then they can write triangles for those couples, and add that to the wonderful acting that I know that the vets have, and it would be an almost-perfect storyline.

• Members

I posted a thread a while back re: a letter Ellen Dolan sent out on the internet, asking for fans to write to TPTB and demand she get a storyline/more airtime.

Ellen has impeccable talent and has been completely wasted and with the recent casting decisions (i.e. Jordan Woolley, Elean Goode, etc.), I highly doubt a re-cast would fly very well with the fans. Nobody can replace Ellen.

I also agree more vets should be involved in the show. In my ATWT fan fic (in my blog)...Lisa has a really big story with a new character..Scott's daughter Roxie, that Lisa never even knew was born (played by DAYS' Arianne Zuke), Ben, Jessica, and Margo are featured in a heavy storyline that is finally coming to a close after 3 months. Kim is being featured in the Mike/Katie/Henry storyline. Tom is being featured in both storylines with Lisa and Margo. Nancy and Bob will soon have a storyline towards the end of the summer. Lucinda and James are kicking off a fantastic story right now with James kidnapping Lucinda and trying to overtake Worldwide. And Hal, who has been laying in a hospital bed clinging to life after a near fatal heart attack, is currently in cahoots with Susan...trying an experimental drug, threatening Susan's job, and urging a Susan/Hal romance. Heck...I even brough John Dixon back...and he's featured in the Andy/Emily romance!!

• Members

Before I say what I am going to say I want to predicate it by saying that I do not want Ellen replaced. I love her. She is one of my favorite Margos. Margaret Colin is probabaly my fave but Hillary and Ellen are tied pretty much.

But I will say that Ellen can be replaced. GL fans said she couldn't be replaced as Maureen but she was. Fans said Margaret Colin couldn't be replaced as Margo, but Hillary Smith did it. Then when Hillary left they didn't even want to give Ellen a chance. They said she wasn't Margo at all, but she proved them wrong. Now when they replaced Ellen before with Glynnis O'Connor they went the wrong way. Glynnis is a good actress and a soap vet but she was not right for Margo.

The recast would be highly successful if they could get Margaret Colin or Hillary Smith to return, but that might not work. I do think the following soap vets might work too:

Linda Gibboney

Marcia McCabe

Kate Mulgrew (wishful thinking I know)

Dana Delaney (wishful thinking again - she would never return to daytime)

Robin Mattson

Patricia Pease

Patricia Kalember

Marg Helgenberger (wishful thinking again)

I know some of them would give Margo a little different look, but they all can play the upbeat Margo I think very well. Marcia McCabe would be one of my faves and since she is married to Chris Goutman. I always liked her on Search For Tomorrow but fell in love with her as an actress on Another World when she played the hit woman sent to kill Jake McKinnon. She blew me away with that short stint.

Archived