Rosie O'Donnell to Replace Viera on The View!

Queen_Nubia

• Members

Rosie O'Donnell Named Co-Host of 'The View'

April 27, 2006

"Extra" has learned exclusively that Rosie O'Donnell will be named the newest co-host of "The View," replacing the exiting Meredith Vieira.

ABC is expected to make the official announcement Friday, April 28.

The short list of other candidates reportedly included Connie Chung, Patricia Heaton and Soledad O'Brien.

Meredith is going to co-host the "Today" show on NBC, taking over for Katie Couric.

For all the latest, tune in to Extra on Friday, April 28.

extratv.com

(oh....Star is gonna just loooove that)

NEW YORK - Rosie O'Donnell is expected to make a surprise return to daytime television by taking over exiting Meredith Vieira's slot on the talk show "The View."

ADVERTISEMENT

O'Donnell's appointment was reported Thursday by the newsmagazine "Extra." It was confirmed by a person close to the show who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because "The View" wanted to make the announcement on Friday's show.

ABC officials declined comment on the report on Thursday.

Dubbed "The Queen of Nice" when her syndicated talk show went on the air in 1996 and became an instant hit, O'Donnell won six Daytime Emmy Awards in six years as best talk-show host. She left the show to help raise four children with her partner, Kelli Carpenter O'Donnell.

It's an important appointment for "The View," which was created by Barbara Walters. Vieira's news background helped make her the solid center of the program on the days Walters didn't appear on air.

But Vieira joined the game of musical anchor chairs that began when Katie Couric chose to move to the "CBS Evening News." NBC quickly named Vieira as her replacement on the "Today" show, where she will begin work in September.

Joy Behar and Star Jones Reynolds, who have been bickering at each other lately, are also members of "The View" round-table, along with Elisabeth Hasselbeck. They're nominated together in the best talk-show host category at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards.

"I think every agent in America is calling," Walters told The Associated Press shortly after Vieira's departure was announced on April 6.

O'Donnell has acted in a variety of movie, TV and stage shows, including the films "A League of Their Own" and "Sleepless in Seattle," and "Grease" on Broadway.

She should have no problem holding her own with the other ladies on "The View." Since leaving daytime television, O'Donnell has become a strong advocate of gay and lesbian marriage and adoption. With her partner, she operates a cruise line for gay and lesbian families that was recently featured in an HBO movie.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL!! You can bet I'm going to start taping THE VIEW regularly when Rosie joins. Things have been entertaining enough with Joy and Star fighting, but when Rosie comes, look out!

(Rosie has publicly snarked on Stah's weight loss surgery + her husband's "heterosexuality.")

And Rosie is totally going to give naive young conservative mother Elisabeth a smackdown.

This is going to be good.

• Members

I think I'm gonna DVR the first few episodes of the View when she begins. Next on the list is Star. Why is she even there? She doesn't really contribute much to the show. After all of her damn wedding pimping, my nana stopped watching the show. She hates pimping, lol.

• Members

OMG this is awesome news. The View which IMO was heading to the graveyard has found someone who will most definately bring ratings back to the show. I loved Rosie's show and watched it religiously from the beginning. This is gonna be awesome.

• Members

Wow! This is going to be quite interesting indeed! I love this idea and what it can potentially bring, but at the same time I realize that Rosie has stepped on quite a few peoples' shoes over the years ever since she quit her talk show and lost her "Queen of Nice" status. She's also not taken very seriously anymore because of past tantrums.

But if she can offer some strong commentary that totally shoots down anything the conservative mommies have to say, I'm totally there!

• Members

LOL. I think Elisabeth and Star are dreadful people and I sure as hell wouldn't converse with them in real life, but if one of them left THE VIEW I would die because their behavior/commentary is so snark-worthy. They keep things interesting.

Joy/Rosie vs. Star/Elisabeth with Babs looking on confused.

• Members

I kinda wish they went with Soledad O'Brien. I think they need someone that is fun with a credible news backback ground. As Meredith was the "moderator" I hope Rosie can keep the b!tch somewhat in line.

but, I think Rosie & Joy fighting with Elizabeth & Star should be fun.

• Members

LOL... I can so see Rosie wipe the floor with Starr! Both ladies will bicker and talk over each other, but Rosie will reign supreme! Joy will throw in some good digs, too.

Elisabeth... sigh... Their 5th lady on The View always lacks any personality. At least Lisa Ling had a brain.

• Members

OMG! :lol:

I LOVE this!

I will SO be watching The View when Rosie joins! Dayum she will fire that place up.

Joy and Barbara are the best ones (next to the departing Meredith). I hate Star. She's SO fake. Elisabeth is nice enough but just ... eh. She gets overwhelmed by the others' personalities. Everytime I watch (which isn't often), she's always just sitting there. Everytime she tries to talk they always talk over her, LOL. Poor girl. I still love her from Survivor but eh... lol.

GOOOOOOO ROSIE!

Archived