• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

this is such a huge issue for soap writers.

years back, i had a friend who wanted to break into soaps. she could spin two years of story without taking a breath, but couldn’t write believable dialogue if someone were holding a loaded pistol to her head. so, she never got anywhere despite the fact that she may well have made a great headwriter.

conversely, i had a conversation with the late gene palumbo, who told me that while he had not been a great script writer, having done it made him a better breakdown writer (and ultimately, headwriter) because he knew what scriptwriters needed in a breakdown. 

as toups pointed out, there are different skillsets involved. of course, that while like football head coaches, headwriters capture the media’s attention, the fact that a great script writer doesn’t have the capacity to shape longterm stories, should in anyway diminish their success. 

• Members

I agree with both.

When we all got the news that PM was coming and might have even (more than likely) did some rewriting of dialogue here and there, a lot of people who knew his writing and have an ear for dialogue could tell instantly it was him. Since he's been there originally, a lot of us still can tell the difference between something he did or something EK did. I admit that while I've liked it overall, there have been times when episodes would be meh to me, but still enjoyable due to the dialogue. Pre-wedding, I was wondering why it felt like things had slowed since the organic flow/momentum of Jason's return. Well, I guess I know why now. lol.

One thing I have not liked about the news has been people saying PM is a bad HW. How does one even know when we are not seeing the overall picture of what he had planned? Even when he was handicapped from 'GO!' Sadly, we may never know. Or worse...what has been suspected as being his stories will either vanish, be rewritten, or worse?

• Webmaster

Not that we have any recent evidence ABC gives a crap about rebooting AMC/OLTL, but canceling GH wouldn't lead to their sudden resurfacing. No matter what anyone says, especially right now, there are only two things that will get Disney (more than ABC) to rethink a potential reboot of either of those two soaps or even a new soap: A successful launch of The Gates by CBS and/or sudden resurgence in viewership at GH.

The only reason ABC fought so hard for DAYS back when the show got four-year deals at NBC was because that show was up for renewal while it was banging down the door at Y&R for dominance in the key sales demos.

The growth of a veteran series vs. what it did previously or the successful launch of a new series means only one thing to network executives: copycats.

Networks look at what they have in the pipeline or seek out similar concepts when they see another network (or streamer) doing something they think they can duplicate. This is why CBS decided to do FBI Tuesdays after NBC had Chicago Wednesdays (not to mention Dick Wolf produces all of them), and it is why all the networks tried to create their own Lost (sci-fi show where unexplained events happen to characters, including disappearing from "reality").

Heck, where do y'all think "The Real Housewives" franchise came from? It was created as a reality-based version of "Desperate Housewives," but with rich(er) people.

• Members
Posted (edited)

To add to what @Errolis saying- the current head of Disney keeps making waves by making statements that they might try to unload ABC, and they just announced how much they have cut in development for linear tv. We are not in a broadcast friendly environment with Disney/ABC.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I'll be honest. I hate this kind of posting. If you know something, spill it. If you won't name names, just be quiet.

And just stop with the "allegedly" bulls_hit. If you listen to The Chat podcast, you'll hear "allegedly" a dozen+ times -- whether it makes sense or not.

I'm so tired of these soap insiders who claim they know sTuff and then won't say it out loud.

• Webmaster

The word "allegedly" is used as a cover-your-ass statement for legal purposes. No other reason.

As for your comment on how the word was used, I don't have an opinion. I'm only commenting to explain the use of the word "allegedly."

The network wanted DAYS on their lineup. They offered to buy the rights to broadcast the show back in the late 90s/early 2000s when the show's contract was up for renegotiation with NBC. Was that not clear with what I said?

• Members

Errol, I do understand that "allegedly" is a CYA word. My problem is when it's used appropriately to CYA and when it's used in the most ridiculous way.

An example: "Word is that some actors are unhappy with the show's direction...or should I say ALLEGEDLY unhappy."

Is there any logical reason to use allegedly there? No one's facing legal action for a generic statement like that. On that podcast, It's used all over the place.