• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That too, especially with Tracy. And her burgeoning relationship with Stella.

There were almost always decent or good scenes sprinkled into the show when I looked in on it occasionally before this. I'm sure there will be again. But this was the first time I'd watched daily in years with the exception of last February's Spencer/Trina Ice Princess adventure, which was silly but fun. For most of the time since 2015 I've only kept up with the show in intermittent clips or the very occasional spate of episodes here and there if something or someone caught my interest. Unless something massive changes at this show, that's what I'll be going back to.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm also having memory flashbacks to the early 1980s, when Pat Falken Smith returned to DAYS with so much fanfare, and also succeeded Douglas Marland on TGL. Back then, I was younger and more trusting that TPTB were not TOTAL imbeciles, LOL, but the swiftness with which PFS disappeared from both those shows indicates that the "suits" have not learned a thing about hanging on to quality writers in the last 40 years. The same dumb decisions and moves are still being made.

People keep telling me that soap fans should never criticize or voice displeasure about the status of any daytime drama, because the genre is in such a precarious position that criticism and audience dissatisfaction may encourage the networks to cancel the few remaining shows. Comments should be glowing and positive.

Please register in order to view this content

But realistically, the majority of reasonable viewers are not going to passively accept (and, worse, praise) utter tripe because it's better than nothing and it's all we can expect nowadays.

If even ONE of the remaining four soaps were well-written or in decent shape, but they are all basically subpar. We have nothing to sing about.

A lot may be riding on The Gates to succeed and rejuvenate the dimming genre.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members
Posted (edited)

Mulcahey entered soap writing in 1980-81 and worked with the Corringtons, Marland (Nixon indirectly at Loving), Dobsons and Nancy Curlee. All great head writers. Yet Mulcahey never had what it took to be a successful head writer, if he had, he would have excelled at it before now and not when he's in his 70s, coming out of retirement and after years on a show like B&B that has never been about quality writing.

Korte is a staff writer who also doesn't have what it takes to be a charismatic head writer either. Again, if she had the skill she would have been elevated (and succeeded at least for a time) before now.  

EK/PM version of GH was absolutely terrible from a creative storytelling perspective despite a few good Tracy scenes here and there.

PM was a great script writer in his day.  

The real problem with GH has been Valentini who hires hair models and is more concerned about everyone's facial filler and botox being up to date, and bigger blame goes to the execs in charge of him and the show over the years.  The daytime version of the Sopranos played itself out two decades ago yet here we are with Sonny/Jason/Carly.  It's stale, tired and uninspired.  On top of that you have so many one dimensional performers who bring nothing but pretty head shots to the screen.  When has the show discovered new talent who sizzles on the screen (don't get me started on the overrated reaction to the dude who played Spenser recently, capable but nothing like the young stars back in the day). For those of us around who remember: Brian Bloom, Jon Hensley, Grant Alexander, Tichiha Arnold, Crystal Chappel, Judy Evans, Sharon Gabet, Larkin Malloy, Genie Francis, Tyler Christopher etc. It's just not there on GH and hasn't been since Frank took over.  Yes, there are amazing vets who chew scenery i.e. Maura, Cynthia, Jane. But their presence on the screen highlights the problem I've articulated above. It's a split personality of amazing talent and minimal or no talent.  

GH can't be saved unless and until FV is gone and there's a Disney exec who wants to see multi-dimensional actors portraying compelling non MOB story. IMHO

Edited by VelekaCarruthers

• Members

Forgive me, but I’ve gotta take another stab at this one.

Are you suggesting, @Errol, that the reason why PM is out and that CVE is back, is because somebody BTS raised a stink over how Dan & Chris were let go and that this is ABCD’s way of avoiding any potential lawsuits?

(If so, then I REALLY wouldn’t be surprised to see Dan’s name back in the credits very soon, lol).

• Members

I can see that, certainly, but I feel like PM strikes me as savvy enough to know he was walking into a lion’s den. Even knowing who FV is. Maybe he underestimated FV or felt that he’d have more backing from the network than he ultimately received. Or the deal was sweet enough that he felt he could give it a shot.

I worry about The Gates. 

• Members

There were moments which were pleasant surprises, like Bobbie's funeral, and even that they finally did try with Trina and Spencer, but I mostly wish it didn't have to feel like an anomaly. 

To be honest I'm not sure I remember ever thinking of Korte as a standout writer even with decades on the show.

I do appreciate what we had with Stella. I know some fans feel some of her scenes should have gone to Portia, but I'll take any Vernee Watson I can get.