GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

Maura West is the antithesis of Kelly Monaco. Kelly delivers her lines in a (currently disinterested) casual/regular conversation way. Maura does an old-school soap campy cadence. Sometimes Maura is brilliant, other times she's cartoonish. But I will take what Maura is giving (drama, enthusiasm, theatrics) over current Kelly any day. 

Loved her as ATWT's Carly, and I totally see why she was chosen as Y&R's Diane. Had she been given her own character rather than being in the shadow of Susan Walers & Alex Donnelly, her run might have been successful.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It was Courtney adjacent for sure! 

They had their chance for me with Ava and Nikolas as a new version of Alan and Monica. Only Ava was the more violent partner this time, like Alan. I could have seen her last way longer in that dynamic without taking away her edge.

Watch some classic pre-90’s Alan and Monica. There is danger, passion, violence, comedy, romance, challenging each other, loyalty and betrayals. And they are both smart, dedicated professionals who have a terrible marriage and cannot quit each other.

• Members

You haven't.  Lol.  I am secretly rooting for GT to get all the roles just because you like her so much.

I don't know.  I think MW could be swooped up by Days.  She's the type of actress Ron would like to make a wacky Dimera villain or Clyde's presumed dead wife or something.

I strongly dislike Nina, but it's always hilarious when she's called out for making solid business decisions.  Like firing someone who has performance issues?  But Carly would never.  Because she doesn't know how to run anything, but people are transfixed by her humanity and great hair.

KeMo is in my good graces lately with the Dante shooting story, but for the last decade it seemed like she barely had a pulse.  Two very different actresses.  Maura gives it all and Kemo is the chillest actress on the entire planet.

• Members

Ava taking Sonny's meds to get sleep is weird but knowing Patrick Mulcahey's writing I bet this is the only beginning of a new Story arc for Ava & yes its more than just her maybe finding out about Sonny's meds messed with.

• Members

Obviously, everyone but Brenda. Don't be mean to me!  The very slim hope Vanessa will show up on my screen gets smaller everyday lol.

But pretty much every other role GT can have.

Why?  I think it's a valid thing to talk about.  

• Members

Everything is valid to talk about, including lead actors like Maura West.

Still, I'm taken aback at not only the number of posts about her, but that there's a serious discussion about whether she belongs on GH. I can name sooooo many characters/actors more deserving of this kind of "evaluation."

Just my opinion, of course. Thought I'd throw in my .02 that Maura West is one of THE greatest daytime actors of all time and that GH would be insane to dump her.

• Members

I love Maura West. The problem is that she is playing a character that should not still be here, simply because it’s Maura playing Ava. Would I get rid of handful of characters before I even looked in her direction? Yes. But at the same time she is no better than Sonny as far as people who have not paid for their crimes.

I wish for Nina to lose it and leave in a blaze of glory before Ava though.

• Members

Oh, Ava's definitely not on my top of the list to go.  I just don't really get the appeal and don't think she's one of the greatest actors in daytime.  But everyone has their own opinions. I actually think Roger Howarth was a better actor and more of a commodity than MW, but that didn't translate to GH.  I don't think Ava translates that well either.  The character and their motivations are so muddled and MW mugs it up like a campy retro film star.  That being said, there are probably 20-25 people I would cut out of the cast before her.

I know.