GH: April 2024 Discussion Thread

• Members

Finishing up the week watching Friday’s show, and I had to laugh that Sam and Dante are essentially wearing the same clothes and colors while sitting on a couch that is also blue. I’m not saying it’s that big of a deal, but what other show would not make a simple change here?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actually it wasn't a writer who came up with Kraze at all. But, once that person did so, sure, it was the scabs job to write it. 

I had endometriosis & was misdiagnosed & when it was finally correctly diagnosed tried various hormone therapies but had to have surgery as it was Stage 4 (of 4 possible). You are correct that they messed up the endometriosis story. Part of every month Molly would have been in pain to the degree that she certainly couldn't have hidden it from a doctor she was living & sleeping with. I was watching. I tried to imagine that Molly had a high pain tolerance level but I did, so that supposition didn't work. I tried to ask people if earlier Molly had shown signs of being super Stoic or something but everyone said not. Finally I just settled on the unfortunately typical disregard for "details" with medical conditions that we know is true of soaps. 

• Members

Maybe I read too much into a scene pre-Mulcahey/Korte, but I felt when T.J. was telling Jordan that Dante's shooting brought home the fact that his child was growing up with family members with mob connections was the real issue going forward in the surrogacy story. Kristina has been defending her father pretty consistently and there seems to be some major mob action brewing with the attempts to take down Pikeman. I can easily see T.J. wanting to limit Kristina's involvement with the child after birth to keep the child safe from that world with Molly torn between her sister who selflessly gave her a gift but also who embraces a man who is surrounded by danger. 

A parent against a relationship is a trope that daytime has done for decades, and has ignored more in the past decade so I don't really mind Natalia being against Blaze/Kristina mostly because it isn't just the religious viewpoint, it's her fear that Blaze's sexuality is a reaction to trauma. From my experience, sexual trauma can lead to issues with one's sexuality, obviously not all the time. I do wish there was more a complicated view of this because Natalia seems to WANT this to be the case rather than knowing it, but it still fascinates me. I find Natalia's Kris Jenner act more dated than anything else. 

On further reflection, I am wondering if Kristina's reaction to Deception was suppose to show that Kristina is similar to Natalia in trying to control Blaze's life.

I also appreciate all the civic talk between Laura putting the city on GH's HMO and Jordan speaking with Drew about using Crimson (or was it one of his other companies) to present a different image of Port Charles. I never was a huge Cameron Mathison fan, but he seems to be one of the actors who has really benefitted from the writing changes in the last few weeks. He seems to work well as the sarcastic businesssman. That is a type that I feel was very popular on the show in the early 1990s. 

I thought the stuff surrounding Tracy's birthday was nice, but I wish we got to actually see them celebrate. I did think taking the moment to suggest Tracy might have depression was a smart move. I didn't consider that she might still be grieving for Luke, which unveils a new layer to some of her hesitancy involving herself with Gregory, who would force her to deal with that type of grief again in the near future. 

The Deception stuff doesn't bother me, but I do wish it was a little more deep. I would rather see Brooklyn befriend Lucy in an attempt to win her over and push her out of the company with grandma Tracy's support only for Brooklyn to actually start to become friendly with Lucy and her loyalty torn. The way it plays out presently just seems very standard so I am willing to give it a little more time. 

It was nice to see Dante's homecoming. I am surprised how much I like that blended family.

• Members
Posted (edited)

A fair amount of stuff before the new team's official start date (3/15, IIRC) was clearly tweaked/ghostwritten - we were explicitly told by Errol that they had allegedly been brought on to start unofficially reworking stuff in the Jason story at the start of March with Steve Burton's first airdate, but there's also some eps in late February that bear PM/EK's mark IMO. More family connectivity and character work that's similar to what we have now. The Jake/Danny, etc. famly focus with Sam and so on also started in late February. Point being, those T.J. scenes you mentioned also hit different to me.

I do think they also made a point to highlight and re-center the BLQ/Tracy relationship in those early March days, which I appreciated. There was a quick shift to Brook respecting Tracy's skill and experience.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Now the Blaze storyline has been going on for a while. If anything, they are just now getting potential conflicts. 

Love this. Especially that last part with Dex. Joss's head would explode. 

• Members

I definitely like your pov when I pop in in the Classic Threads so it's good to see you back on.

Please register in order to view this content

I agree that there is definitely a lot to cleaning up on this show. It's part of the reason that I honestly feel that EK and PM are going by the 'Rules.' Because I feel they could easily change a lot of things right now if they wanted to. But so far, they are strengthening the characters, revealing their povs again in a way that is definitely different than from before. I may not know where they are going with it, but it does have the strong sense that everything is leading to somewhere. Building blocks. It also feels like they are seeing what they have on canvas...what works, what doesn't. There's also a sense of layers to everything that was not there before...or it could be my writer mind at work. Ex. I've mentioned before the recast, that it looked like the writers were slowly building a rivalry between Joss and Kristina...who are both so connected to so many characters on the canvas and both have their own history. It appeared to be gone with Mansi coming in. But the new writers have started to have them mix it up again. And I found the recent Kristina/Nina scene to be a new and interesting wrinkle that can up the stakes in their growing rivalry given how Joss feels about Nina who dropped the story bombshell that broke up Dex and Joss. Add on Kristina's baby storyline with Nina's own history with her daughters and kids...layers going on. I would think if there are any exits...it's happening during May Sweeps. 

IKR. There are quite a few characters that I have not cared for or who don't do enough for me that I have been enjoying more with the writing change. Also...it seems we are getting people being able to fully call characters out more again which is cool. 

It warmed my heart seeing all of Sam/Dante's family on screen yesterday. For once, I liked their blended family. It felt...real. 

LOL!!! I wouldn't mind re: Tracy/Cody cuz she could use some fun. But I feel they are going to be fun partners-in-crime. 

Same. I so don't want a pairing, either. Just a hookup that makes Joss's head explodes.

Kristina isn't above being petty after all. At least under LA. You know me. I lived for her throwing that shade at Joss at the Q mansion that one episode. lol. I just found out yesterday that EH and LA worked together on a movie so perhaps it's for the best she is gone so the old writers wouldn't try to put them together cuz they had some chemistry. 

I agree with the bold. But love it all.  

I just watched that scene and it occurred to me that I completely understand Natalia's pov on that. It showed her as more than a momanger (as Lois was calling her) and more of a mother's fear and worry...fleshing her out just a little bit. I was also fascinated. 

• Members

4-5

Mmmmm...Beast. lol. That said about Brennan, didn't Val tell him to not continue to try to mix it up with Anna. And yet he just can't help himself. As much as I enjoyed his sparring with Anna (and the actor), I felt those scenes was setting up for him having a target on his back. 

And YES I loved seeing more Joss vs Kristina. Moreso because for me, it was the first time they let Mansi get some good shots in since the Kristina recast. Good. Keep building that. Though Kristina was in the wrong, Joss is just waaaay too smug. 

First Laura with Alexis and now Jordan with Drew and the idea of images and helping people. I am wondering if this is just one-offs to get people in scenes together, or if it is building to something else long-term. 

Hehe at Lois not liking Natalia on sight. But I liked the writers fleshing out Natalia's pov on Blaze so it does not completely come across as the typical 'homophobic parent' one would get in these type of stories. And her reasoning made sense. I also liked that given the discussion last week (?) over who is Blaze's manager...putting her in scenes with BLQ cleared that up. Perhaps someone is watching these threads.

Please register in order to view this content

I really enjoyed the Sam/Dante family scenes. Not even plot based. Just...character. It made sense that Same feared the worst. Only...to see Danny just wanted to go and get something for Dante. Awwww. And just seeing that whole family unit today. I really can't remember the last time they were all in the same room period so it just got me in the feels. They definitely have come a long way. I can't help but wonder though is it the calm before the storm because Jason might wind up in their orbit...or because ANOTHER parent might be waiting in the wings to return...

• Members

Maybe Molly begins to get anxious about Kristina bonding with the child, not to mention the mob heating up again, and decides to take a job in Washington DC. She and TJ leave for a couple of years and come back recast with their kid, who struggles with Molly's type-A perfectionist tendencies and bonds with "cool aunt" Kristina.

• Members

I started the week of Mulcahey/Korte so I only saw about four episodes with the previous writers. I felt there was such a shift in the writing on that Friday. A lot of those family scenes seemed very paper thin. I wasn't sure if it was the writing or the unfamiliarity of the actors playing material that was emotional. On Friday, everything sounded more rounded and  deeper. There were some stand out scenes, but I just assumed that Korte was probably doctoring the material because she was already on the staff. The way Laura treated Heather on the Wednesday episode and the Friday episode was vastly different that's why I wasn't sure if this was something they would pursue or not. 

I think the Quartermaine family is one of the areas of the show that needs work. I am glad they are starting with Tracy and Brook Lynn, but I would like to see a little more put into trying to make them a cohesive family again. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

“We had the Q’s, who were a real family, wonderful to write for, either played by old pros like Stuart and Leslie and John, or by terrific young actors like Steve and Amber. Alan's drug addiction was one of my favorite stories. So was the Robin-Jason romance..” - Patrick Mulcahey

Well, in certain quarters this word is out. I usually do not post rumors but for reasons I can't mention, I think this one is true. Michael Easton is out at GH. If indeed it is true, we'll find that out. 

UPDATE: Easton was taken off contract last week. That is confirmed. Whether that just puts him on recurring or is out is yet unknown.

Edited by Contessa Donatella
more info