BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I still think the show should air after Y&R and then have it followed by B&B to give it the best chance. I feel like B&B isn't even trying to tell engaging, fresh stories at all anymore. The post-Y&R slot gives The Gates its best shot for viewers to sample it.

• Members

It’s funny: The Gates has made the existing shows instantly irrelevant to me. I’d love to see the genre fully blossom again, but Y&R, B&B, and especially DAYS are all so easy to ignore at the very moment when eyes are back on daytime.

I’m not yet convinced that Mulcahey/Korte on GH will be much more than what Sally Sussman and Kay Alden were for Y&R, in spite of a few promising improvements. Neither PM nor EK are proven visionaries of the long story, but at least they are veterans who studied at the feet of true geniuses (like MVJ has).

It at least shows TPTB aren’t completely risk-averse, which is new. Better to try something different (yet smart and calculated) than do the same things that have lulled soaps into oblivion. It’s not like they’re entrusting these shows to novices who don’t know the grind and budgetary limitations of daytime.

Will the legacy soaps seriously step up their game to meet the moment? Other than GH (network-owned), do those shows even know what it means to step up their game?

• Members
Posted (edited)

I still would love to know the timeline of their hiring.  When did ABCD contact EK and PM?  Had they contacted anyone else beforehand?  And how much time did EK and PM have to prepare before officially starting?

My instincts tell me the reason why we haven't seen too many drastic changes yet (aside from longer scenes and deeper conversations) is because EK and PM didn't have a whole lot of time to sit down and draw up major plans OR so much of Chris and Dan's stuff had already been written in advance (and EK and PM are working off whatever Chris and Dan left behind) that dumping it and starting fresh would've been too costly or time-consuming OR a combination of the two.

Either way, I'm giving EK and PM time to figure out everything before (Michele Val Jean snaps up Patrick Mulcahey for her writing staff and) I pass any judgment about their work.

Edited by Khan