• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ugh.

If (as it sounds) it's just folding FreeVee content like Neighbours into their new ad-supported plan then it's not a major difference, but still. I think these FAST options are important.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I agree.  These days, if I'm not watching Frndly TV, which carries a lot of OTA channels that I would otherwise need an antenna for, I'm watching PlutoTV, FreeVee or Tubi.  Many streamers that you have to pay to use just don't appeal to me at all.

• Members

Amazon botched Freevee even more badly than the folks who originally launched Quibi. The first mistake was attaching the app directly to Amazon, where you have to log in using an Amazon login, which Amazon likely thought was clever as it would force anyone who didn’t already have an account to start one, which they hoped would lure people to buy on Amazon.
The moment IMDB got acquired by Amazon, I was waiting for things to wrong and I hated that you needed an Amazon account to sign in. When it was just IMDB, at first you didn’t need to sign in, then you did need to sign in, then it just got worse when the site got Amazon-ed. The entire process became so clunky and onerous. Had they just let the app be similar to Pluto TV where sign in is optional there would be no problem but no, Amazon being Amazon, they needed to track people and try to herd them onto the site to buy things…well, surprise, people didn’t like that.

IMDB should have given preference to Variety or The Hollywood Reporter for the rights to the site. Of course, Amazon would eventually kill Freevee, it was competition to Prime, especially now that Prime is shoving ads , into their shows.

Maybe it is a rumor but since it’s already out there, it really got me thinking about the things I don’t like about the app since Amazon acquired it.

• Members

I'd assume part of this might be because they're looking to launch in more markets? Better to just try it with the Prime app since it's already launched internationally than to try and promote a separate service. 

• Members

Well, I checked my blog on streaming classic soaps & these are all the FreeVee related listings. 

DALLAS, 1978, 14 seasons. 13 seasons on FreeVee; 12 seasons on appletv
DARK SHADOWS 12 seasons. all 1225 episodes are streaming on FreeVee. 12 seasons on tubi, Pluto; 4 seasons on redbox; 1 season peacock, peacock premium.
FALCON CREST, 9 seasons, 227 episodes; 9 seasons, FreeVee; 4 seasons appletv
TITANS, 1 season, FreeVee

• Members

More at Deadline and Variety about the rumor that’s been quashed (for now?)

https://deadline.com/2024/02/amazon-insists-no-changes-to-freevee-despite-reports-of-shutdown-streaming-1235832878/amp/

https://variety.com/2024/digital/news/amazon-freevee-shutting-down-denies-1235918326/amp/

Seems the rumor got started off a clickbait article on AdWeek. 

• Members

I was still a bit wary because I have heard of companies denying something is happening, only to reverse themselves later.

Coincidentally, (or the power of tracking?) I came across this on YouTube.

He mentions Amazon having denied something before and it turned out to be exactly what they had previously denied.

• Members

Do I think FAST is going to fade away after hearing these rumors? No, there are still some strong models for FAST but the ranks may thin a bit with those that are redundant in programming or purpose.
I also think Freevee also got themselves in a bind by trying to function both as a gateway for Prime as well as to sell Amazon crap and then also to try to do original programming—they should have picked a lane.