ALL: Characters who shouldn't have died.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In fairness IIRC it wasn't Pratt; I believe Brown and Esensten wrote the original return story (supposedly with some input from Agnes, who I suspect may only have provided the idea of David Rasche's villain being a Gardner). It was Pratt who later added the angle with Natalia and Jesse having shacked up with Laura Bonarrigo from OLTL for decades.

The story was far from genius but I will give B&E credit for frontloading Darnell and Debbi on multiple soaps and working with a strong Black canvas on Loving, TC and their brief AMC run in this period (which had like 4-6 Black characters at that time, not all related, though again the stories weren't great). I still remember us all revisiting it in 2020 and talking about how revolutionary the major Black quad during the Loving Murders was given what crumbs we often have today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Oh completely; I was unaware James Harmon Brown & Barbara Esensten were behind the return of Jesse; I was just getting into All My Children at this point, honestly, but it was nice seeing a "classic" couple reunite in a then-modern time. Those like Brown & Esensten just don't exist much anymore. Have hopes that Mulcahey may be able to do something alike this on General Hospital at some point in 2024. And I've heard some good things concerning the Loving murders (was it also called the Corinth murders?).

• Members

B&E were never brilliant writers anywhere - their hackwork is equally infamous - but I will give them credit for the Loving Murders (which are controversial to this day, as a stroll through the LOV thread will tell you but which I enjoyed a lot) and for their seeming commitment to a Black canvas at most of their shows.

A few years ago the entirety of the storyline was uploaded to YT; it lasted from (IIRC) July '95 to the show's end in early November '95. I don't know if it's still there or not, it went up and down a few times. That's how a lot of us got to revisit it during lockdown, I hadn't seen it since it first aired. I think a lot of people would credit the quality of the LM material vs. B&E's multiple attempts to revisit that hype (like the less popular Masquerade serial killer arc on The City, or the Nursery Rhyme Stalker mess on GL which I believe was also them) to the other creatives on staff at Loving at the time, like Linda Gottlieb who actors from the show recently confirmed was consulting in that storyline in some way - I suspect the excellent ad campaign was her, if nothing else.

But as for how they've been referred to, it's always only been the Loving Murders online or in print. It was alluded to occasionally on other shows (OLTL '95 had Todd hilariously ponder if the unstable Viki might have been 'piling up the bodies like cordwood' in Corinth) and when GH had Luke and I think Holly visit Corinth and the abandoned Alden mansion in summer 2013, I believe Luke did actually call them 'the Loving Murders' in a clever way by referencing the killer's motives.

Edited by Vee