Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Again, I’ll never understand how a show that’s written and taped so far ahead of time has so many exits that feel so rushed. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Gwen deserved more. And better. 

Today was definitely a Jamey episode

Please register in order to view this content

And a clear example of why he is hands down the worst writer Days has ever employed. Instead of a closure scene with Gwen and Dimitri, explaining how they feel, why all this happened, how angry Gwen is, ripping Dimitri to shreds, we get some cringey, campy [!@#$%^&*] about Gwen trying to castrate him. Really? Clearly the lack of writing talent also extends to a lack of intelligence. 

And yeah, no sympathy for Leo. Because we all know that once he’s back on that magic , any supposed feelings of guilt will be completely gone. Just like with Joss on GH. And also just like with Joss, the show would be a lot better if he was killed off. 

As for Theresa, I won’t make any judgements yet, but I won’t deny that this is just stupid.

A little intrigued by Maggie/Alex. That could be a pretty good storyline if they play every beat and involve other characters in it… and let the actual writers handle it. 

And btw, I see Vivian made a reference to The Real Housewives of Salem. Was that supposed to be a dig at me? I’m so flattered 

• Members

I wonder if it is a contractual issue?

IIRC at one point if an actor was playing multiple roles then they got compensated twice. 

So, maybe they got rid of Gwen in order to only pay EOB once?   If so, that is even more nefarious toward Jen Lilley.  Obviously, this is just speculation and I have no idea how DAYS contracts work.  But, it was the first idea that came to mind.

Edited by j swift

• Members

OK, I watched it and at the risk of once again going against the grain, I thought it was hysterical and a bit thrilling.

The Gwen/Theresa switch seems much more like a production stunt than a writer's idea.

But, come on, the wig, the turn to camera, the fact we barely heard Theresa speak, the meta use of Gwen's goodbye mirroring the fan response, the classic DAYS use of characters talking to themselves aloud in public while none of the extras look at them like they're nuts; this is classic Salem behavior.  I dare any soap fan to watch that and not get a tingle. 

It wasn't well written.  The monologue was clumsy and not in character (I mean, why does Gwen suddenly have insight?).  It is a totally undeserved Scarlett-O'Hara-tomorrow-is-another-day moment for a character who was never in the love-to-hate category.  But, that airport scene will carry me through the weekend on a high note.

Edited by j swift