Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the absurdity of Harris and Ava's discussion about Bayview today.  Does Ava think she can just walk back into her mandatory treatment, and they'll welcome her with open arms?  And did the UK air heal Harris of the emotional issues that got him into the psych hospital in the first place?

The whole love story of these two people with serious mental illness verges on offensive.  Because we all know if they were written as having a serious physical illness like cancer, and they were avoiding treatment, it would be handled with more sensitivity.  As it stands, it looks like a strong set of abs can save you from hallucinations and delusions. Steve Burton may believe that, but we shouldn't.

• Members

It's a choice.  You know I dislike MM's Belle, but if you can't write for John/Marlena's daughter and Bo/Hope's son it's a show problem.  It's several different writing and production teams so it's really perplexing overall.  If you don't like the actors-recast (not with EOB or RSW please though)

• Members

I question whether it isn't a lack of interest. Good writers, it seems to me, write for anybody and whatever is on the canvas because it seems to suit the identity, history, etc., of the show. Yet, some writers tend to write  according to their moods. IDK. When they get it right, I wonder if it was an accident. 

• Members

OK, one more thought after a chaotic week.

I was just watching the preview for next week and there's something amusing about the amount of discourse about Emily O'Brien's accent, especially given her side hustle as a voice actor for videogames.  Meanwhile, Robert Scott Wilson is running around Salem with such a thick South Boston accent that he sounds more like a longshoreman than a boarding school educated CEO. "After I ate a durty wuder dawg, I got a real classy nameplate for my desk from dems over der"

Edited by j swift

• Members

Agree about Maggie. She's not wrong about Alex, but her moralizing comes across as sanctimonious and self-righteous when she calls out Alex for far less than others have done.

The Theresa wig was bad, but so was Theresa, period. I know EOB can put her own spin on Theresa, but that was MILES away from the Jen Lilley Theresa. EOB came across as a Vegas gold digger to me. Yeah, I know it was only a 30-second reveal, but that did not work for me.

• Members

I'm still on the stunt ... 

If I recall correctly with the Bo switch that was a stunt it was during a masked ball, in a dance, with a partner, Hope, I believe. The other thing was that they did a big deal makeover on RKK to make him look more like PR. Now that look, Peter's look then, became RKK's forever look & that my friends is irony. 

• Members

It's just so strange to me that Maggie is so dead set on being Titan's CEO.  It doesn't feel very in character for her.  And when Justin read the will last week I had the same impression as Alex.  The wording made me think Alex was in charge going forward.

As far as Theresa, I felt there was immediately something trashy about how EOB played it.  I don't consider Theresa outwardly trashy like that.  But it was only like 20 seconds and I do think EOB is a good actress.

• Members

I believe the post about the recast of Bo from Robert Kelker-Kelly to Peter Reckell is incorrect.

According to @JAS0N47 synopsis on 7/24/95

Bo and Billie get home only to get a call from Abe who sends Bo to go and get a man in Jackson who jumped bail. They are both disappointed, and Bo feels it would be the worst thing in the world to leave Billie on her own right now. She reassures him she’s fine, though, and he departs. - This is the last episode in which Robert Kelker-Kelly appears in the role of Bo Brady

Then on 8/1/95

Billie gets home and finds that Bo has returned. She tells him about the shambles at the wedding, and then tells him about her trip to New Orleans, Bobby Lee and the bracelet which gives Gina’s true identity as Hope Brady. Bo thinks Bobby Lee is a liar. She tells him about the puzzlebox which will prove that Gina is Hope, and he reassures her that even if she opens the box, it does not mean Gina is Hope and that he will continue to love her. - this episode marks the return of Peter Reckell

So, it wasn't as dramatic a shift.  Although in the same week Gina opened the box and realized she was Hope.

With regard to Theresa, it was EOB's acting choice to tug at her spanx (as well as the leopard print dress, and those dark roots) that made her seem "trashy" to me.

Edited by j swift