Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The johnny and Susan reunion scenes cringe worthy.

This show's pacing is so bad....

And Kate again mysteriously appears.

Please register in order to view this content

See the pacing and introduction to Holly into the canvas is so bad.

They have no clue how to write a decent introduction.

The last two cliffhangers for the show have been so dull. Today was no exception!

Yeah shirtless 24/7.

• Members

I don't understand the writing for Susan ever.  Sometimes she written as a psychic with special powers and a bit eccentric like when she was with Edmund, Harris and Ava.  And sometimes she's written like today where she seems to be mentally stunted or developmentally slow.  Is she someone we are to perceive as a functional adult or is she supposed to be mentally ill or neurodivergent?   The show is intentionally vague with Susan and I never know what to think of her behavior.  It's like everyone placates her like she's just a run of the mill weirdo, but some of her actual behavior suggests much deeper problems.

The pacing of Holly/Tate was bad, but I feel like Days always does this with rapidly aged kids.  Instead organically mentioning the child over a period of weeks they just show up one day as a teenager.

• Members

Yep,  you nailed the problem with Susan. It's such lazy writing -- they adjust/contort/define Susan depending on what they need in that particular episode. It doesn't work.

Again, this is just laziness. It's not as if the writers have no idea that new, SORASed characters are coming to town. The casting process alone would give them enough time to drop in lines about these characters and what they're up to.

It's just another reason daytime soaps are failing and going away. No one takes care of them. No one cares about viewers. It's not as if this is asking for "more," or something that would break the budget.

• Members

Exactly.  I am not expecting Days to treat mental health in a realistic way.  I do think there is a way to portray Susan in a more sensitive light though.  She's always been a bit of a "joke", but the portrayal doesn't age well.  Even when she debuted 25 years ago she was treated as someone who was unstable.  Now she's just everyone's favorite eccentric lady in town.  If the show insists on keeping Susan just dial everything back a little.

It is strange Nicole didn't mention Holly at all before she appeared.  Not even, "I think Holly has a crush on Johnny.  She's growing up so fast" throwaway line.  I almost wonder if it's intentional to make the viewer 'forget' these kids and that they are aging them by a decade.

• Members

That's what I am talking about.

How does Nicole not know Holly has a crush on Johnny? 

Before introducing Holly.....We could've had scenes early on where Johnny mentions spending time with Holly and Nicole saying that her daughter had a crush on him.

• Members

Yup.  Nicole could have had a line to EJ and then a line to Chloe about Holly becoming a teenager and how crazy it is, so it would have been established she has aged.  I swear the last time Nicole talked about Holly she was mentioning teddy bears lol.  It seems like the bare minimum to ask, but who knows?  I think it's a silly mistake to age just Holly and Tate.  Sydney and Parker should absolutely be a part of this too.  What fun is a teen scene with just one boy and girl?

• Members

Some screen caps from today's show.

@carolineg

The last mention I remember of Holly was Nicole commenting that she had to talk to her about moving in to the Dimera mansion.

So seeing her out of the blue totally through me off. I thought she was still like 5.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

It's not as jarring as seeing Brady/Belle at John/Marlena's wedding and they come back from their honeymoon and Kirsten Storms is there, but it's definitely a bit more off putting than Tate who has been gone for years.  The show would have been better off with Sydney because she's been off screen.  She just obviously wouldn't have a crush on her own brother.  Since I doubt they are going to make Johnny some weird predator that goes after teenage girls the Holly crush feels pretty irrelevant to me and they should have just aged a whole group so we don't have to watch a 16-year-old put the moves on a 28-year-old man.

• Members

I know they're always cagey about the ages, but I wonder what the age differences in story are meant to be?

Tate mentioned being 18 on Monday when it was suggested that he work at the pub to pay off his debt.

Johnnie is Allie's twin, and she was in college when she met Charlie in 2020, so I assume they're around 22.

But, is Chanel slightly older than Johnny?  And is Holly meant to be the same age as Tate?

• Members

I don’t think there’s any interest in Harris/SBu

He pretty much was forced on Ron and Co. by the former producer and the pairing with Ava is just another Easter egg and nothing more. 

This is speculation, but I can’t help but think that he’s gonna be the next exit. Though I’m curious how GH is going to explain Jason’s new tattoo sleeve

Not really something you want to explain to your parents