Days of Our Lives: October 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah, that's annoying, especially with the characters that don't just live in a hotel room or single room above the pub.  Like, what's going to happen to Belle & Shawn's house, which is supposedly Hope & Bo's home that's been reduced to one single room with mismatched patterns all about. 

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah.  It's the total opposite of EOB, GR, RSW, etc that get every chance to show off and be utilized.  You end up with a lot of actors/characters you see potential in, but are completely wasted and discarded.  It's especially disappointing when it's a young, bisexual, POC that was a Dr, and I would say she's almost a legacy character.  Just a waste, but it's Days and they do this all the time.

• Members

To add to your post, I found this:

Peter Reckell was announced in newspapers as being cast as Bo by 4/4/83. Meanwhile, per AFI's site, Tom Cruise was in Pennsylvania and had practiced scenes for "All the Right Moves" at the end of February 1983 and early March 1983, and even suffered a concussion during some point then. Principal filming for that movie was from March 14, 1983 and lasted about 7 weeks (putting it at around early May 1983). So, unless they started casting Bo Brady in February 1983, Tom Cruise was under contract and filming "All the Right Moves" throughout the end of February 1983-May 1983.

All the Right Movies (practiced scenes 2/83-3/83; filmed 3/14/83-5/83)

Principal photography was scheduled to begin 14 Mar 1983 in Johnstown, PA, with cinematographer Michael Chapman making his directorial debut.... According to Morton, no stunt doubles were used, and several players were injured, including actors Tom Cruise and Paul Carafotes, both of whom sustained minor concussions. Producer Stephen Deutsch added that the players practiced for three weeks prior to principal photography...The production company's seven-week stay was expected to contribute $2 million to Johnstown’s economy. 

Here is a 2/22/83 Pittsburgh article about Tom Cruise starring in the movie:

Please register in order to view this content

Movies Tom Cruise filmed just before this are:

The Outsiders:(filmed 3/29/82-5/15/82)

A 20 Jan 1982 Var news item reported that director Francis Ford Coppola was scheduled to begin principal photography on The Outsiders in Mar 1982, although the project did not yet have a distributor, and a 12 Feb 1982 Var brief added that Columbia Pictures was discussing an $8 million production deal with Coppola. However, on the planned start date of 1 Mar 1982, Var stated that production had been delayed, even though negotiations were still underway with Columbia. Ten days later, the 10 Mar 1982 DV announced that Warner Bros., Inc., had acquired distribution rights, and principal photography was rescheduled to begin 29 Mar 1982 in Tulsa, OK, where the production would be shot in its entirety over seven weeks.
      Seven weeks after principal photography began, the 10 May 1982 Var announced that filming was nearly complete, and Coppola was regaining his credibility as a director capable of delivering pictures on schedule. A 25 May 1982 HR brief stated that filming ended 15 May 1982 with a projected release date of 8 Oct 1982; however, the 10 May 1982 Var listed the date as 18 Oct 1982.

Risky Business:(filmed 7/18/82-11/82)
       On 12 May 1982, Var announced that writer-director Paul Brickman was set to make his feature film directorial debut with Risky Business, and principal photography was scheduled to begin in Jun 1982. At that time, the Geffen Film Company had already agreed to distribute the picture through Warner Bros., and Jon Avnet and Steve Tisch were named as producers. One week later, a 20 May 1982 DV news item reported the casting of Tom Cruise and an 18 Jul 1982 DV brief stated that filming began that day in Chicago, IL, with a ten-week shooting schedule.
       According to studio production notes from AMPAS library files, exterior locations centered around the city of Highland Park, IL, and a 6 May 2013 Chicago Tribune article stated that exteriors of the “Goodsen” house were filmed at 1258 Linden Avenue. Home interiors were shot in two gymnasiums at Niles East High School in Skokie, IL. Production was completed in late Nov 1982, as announced in a 23 Nov 1982 Var news item.
Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

@JAS0N47 thanks for the backup

It is amazing to me how People Magazine and at least two other sources have aggregated this story from a podcast that can so easily be disproven by a simple Google search.  I don't expect the podcaster to correct Kristen's story, but I guess that I have too much trust in traditional media to do the smallest possible bit of fact checking to amend the story.

Just goes to show,

Please register in order to view this content

I did an IMDB search on other famous Toms of a similar age and my theory is that Thomas Haden Church sat next to Frances Reid, and she mistook him for Tom Cruise.  I just hope that they were all in first class.

Edited by j swift