What was the moment and exact storyline that made you love that particular soap opera?

• Members

I am sorry if a thread like this exist somewhere. My question is in the title... is there a particular moment while watching a show that you got so hooked... you continued for years. Please do tell what that moment was and on what show, what year?

Please register in order to view this content

For me is as follows

1. The Bold And The Beautiful

First memory of being hooked on it was when Sheila was poisoning Stephanie. I would have been 4 or 5 years old, but I still remember it. I never could get that strange woman with the black hair that was poisoning that blond older woman out of my 5 year old brain. Me and my grandma would sit all day commenting about this. I would even play out the scenes in which Sheila and Stephanie were in a fight and would wear fake hair and act like I was Sheila. LOL. This was 1995 in USA if I am not mistaken and I think 2000 or 2001 in my country.

2. Sunset Beach

I would watch before that but when there was this particular cursed jewels story I was HOOKED. Too bad it ended soon. But I loved it as a child. This would have been 1998 in USA and probably 2002-2003 in my country.

Edited by divinemotion

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Passions: I had seen bits and pieces of several episodes before, but it was Summer 2000 with the Prom Boat that got me hooked for the rest of the show's run! I often wish I did earlier on though because I always liked Tabitha and Timmy, but it wasn't really till the Prom Boat, young 9 year old me became a faithful viewer. 

Days: Again, I saw bits here and there because it came on before Passions, but I think it was Colin Murphy's murder in January 2003 that made me a loyal Days viewer for a while. Back then (again I was 11-12 years old) I thought murder mysteries on soaps were a lot of fun (and also because recently Passions had their first "who done it" when Julian was shot at the Canary) So when I kept seeing promos for this "Murder at Midnight" I had to tune in! then of course the fun continued the following fall with the "Salem Serial Killer"!

Y&R/B&B: My mom basically watched those two soaps when I was really little, so I have really  only been a loyal viewer by myself for almost 15 years, but for both shows I think it has to be Sheila as well! like you said @divinemotion, even when I was like 3-5 years old The dark haired scary but pretty evil lady on Mommy's shows intrigued me!  I think my earliest memory was Sheila "killing" Jay Garvin!   Of course when clips started pouring out on YT and I saw various Sheila clips on B&B and discovered she came from Y&R and watched the famous lab fight with Lauren, that helped me want to know about not only Sheila but the entire history of both shows, then eventually it led me to collection classic Y&R episodes and sharing on YT, and the rest is history!   

Edited by YRfan23

• Members

That's really amazing @YRfan23!

I guess Kimberlin Brown was bringing so much young viewers. That lady has some presence!  One thing I remember now is Sheila and her music score. That tone that you all know that comes up when Sheila thinks about something or plots. That particular music suspense score left a mark so strong on me I would hum it all day and pretend I was plotting something scary. I would run in the garden humming that music and laugh hysterically as if I was Sheila and I remember at some point a neighbor started to complain of all the noise.  Too bad nowadays there is no iconic music score that repeats and repeats like that anymore. Everything sounds so basic now. Back then you would hear the music and know that Sheila is around. I MISS this so much.

• Members

Haha that's also a great story!

the music on Y&R also really drew me in! It's just so different then any traditional soap music. When I was watching those Sheila scenes from Y&R, it just sent chills down my spine, and really kept me glued to the screen! B&B has/had great music too for Sheila, but Y&R really has the best evil sounding cues for villains overall IMO. 

• Members

GL: Some of my earliest tv memories was revolved around Reva Shayne, and the scene where Reva drove into the ocean always stuck with me. My mom and grandmother watched GL and once Reva returned in the mid 90s, preteen me was hooked and I stuck with it until the bitter end.

Dool: I really started paying attention to Dool around 96' at age 10, I watched it every day with my grandmother. The Marlena/John/Kristen and Carrie/Austin/Sami sagas pulled me in.

B&B: I'd always had a background knowledge of B&B, but as GL ended and Dool really began to turn me off, B&B sucked me in. I became a huge Steffy fan and the early Steffy/Liam/Hope triangle had me hooked.

OLTL: I got into OLTL in the mid 2000s, I can't remember the exact hook, but I quickly became immersed in Todd/Blair and their history.

• Members

Guiding Light; some of my earliest memories of this show will be the Springfield black out and David Grant going on the run. Such a exceptional time period for the show, felt like I could relate to so many characters on the canvas at the time. 

DAYS: First Carly buried alive, and second it was the possession storyline/Sami's schemes that sealed the deal. 

OLTL: Didn't become a permanent fan until Tomlin/Whitesell/Broderick, with the reveal that Natalie and Jess were twins, Al/Jenn scheming, and the LIVE show. Some of it were gimmicks, but it drew me in, and the stories had a bit of heart to them. 

Edited by MichaelGL

• Members

My mom watched Days of our lives and the bold and the Beautiful!

i was hooked the minute I saw the beautiful people of B&B and that whole glamour feel to it. I think it was during that story where Thorne shot Ridge but I was too young to remember everything. But when Taylor came into the show I was in love! Like major crush and I was a little boy rooting for Tridge. I was busy playing power rangers and whatever with my friends but whenever Taylor came on screen I was glued to my screen. Can u imagine how much I cried as a 4 year old when Taylor „died“ and how shocked and confused but excited I was when she returned as Princess.. good old days..

Days never really grabbed my attention as a child. I liked Patch/Steve but I only got hooked and fell in love with Days during Shane‘s amnesia. One of the most underrated and well written storylines in the history of days no one ever talks about. And Jack and Jennifer‘s start. 

Atwt. I’ll admit I never saw the issues with Atwt during the last decade but that’s probably I never watched the rich history. I joined Atwt like 2004-05-ish when Maddie/Case were front burner and during the 50th anniversary story in 2006. that serial killer story was fire. 2007 was my favorite Atwt year with Vienna/Henry/Barbara/Brad/Katie/Dusty/Alison/Emily etc. They all hooked me so much.  I remember my grandma watched Atwt and I had to watch it during the 90‘s with her. I loathed that ponytail guy Mark Kasnoff (?) and that Connor Walsh chick. I was like 5-6 in 1995-96 and everytime i had to watch Atwt with my granny I hated Mark. I still do. I felt like they forced them on us so much that I would be angry and my granny laughed lol 

GH! I was hooked on Laura and Luke. But Joe Kelly and like all the others were so fire.. Heather Webber was outstanding too.. I remember when I saw Felicia Jones for the first time I had such a major crush on her. I took a GH break and fell back in love with it during 2006-07. even though they killed my Alan and my Emily it was still a strong year storywise.

AMC… In the 90‘s got me hooked because of Kelly Ripa as Hayley and ofc Mark as Mateo. Such a perfect Lovestory. Later on my favorite couple was Greenlee and Leo! I know people hated Ryan but I did like him and with Greenlee. The other one that got me addicted was David Hayward! What a badass. I always wanted to be him. Whenever we played outside and had to choose a character from cartoons or shows for our game I always choose David! My friends were annoyed lol 

Oltl I always loved Oltl but I never had the time to watch it properly until 2005/06.. But by 2007 I never missed a episode because of Starr/Cole, John and Natalie, Jessica/Nash.. Later it were Rex/Gigi and Jessica and Brody that I loved so much.

GL.. I was hooked during the introduction of the Lewis clan in 83 with Mindy and Billy. Eli Simms terrorizing the entire families of the GL-Show and trying to kill them for what they did to his wife and Anabelle‘s mother. My first episode I ever watched was even the beginning with Tony Reardon finding that picture of that beautiful women and later meeting Anabelle that resembled her. That was exciting.

Y&R always felt so serious to me back then as a child. But during 2006-07 I was devoted to it because of Nick‘s amnesia story and started to watch as many classic episodes as possible til this day lol Nick and Sharon made me a Y&R fan and Jill Foster Abbott! 

Edited by AMCOLTLLover

• Members

For me it was B&B and the Brooke/Deacon affair storyline. My mum & grandparents would watch all the various shows everyday but I never really paid attention. I picked up a few characters but never committed to the shows (I was a dedicated Neighbours fan though) I learned a few names from the different shows, but nothing more than that.

However when I started high school my grandfather would pick me up and take me home. It was during that time he’d put on B&B and I was hooked. I saw one episode, but then I needed to see what happened tomorrow and the day after that. I became obsessed.

I eventually stopped watching around 2015 (when Steffy killed Ally) but have recently picked it up thanks to the Youtube uploads and am now watching 2017.

• Members

B&B: I sampled the show between 2006-2010 but didn’t get hooked until the Brooke/Oliver camptastic sex scandal. Then Steffy/Liam/Hope drew me in and I was hooked on the show until Ally was killed, the final straw being the Avants leaving. 

PASSIONS: I watched with my cousin, brother and aunt in the summer of 2001 with Julian trying to poison the ring leading up to the double wedding and Tabitha/Timmy antics, such fun! 

AMC: The Mardi Gras Ball, this was the first one I got hooked on my own when I got a tv in my room as a pre-teen and the ball followed by Janet kidnapping Babe then the Dixie mystery drew me in. Maybe not the best time for the show, but I lost interest once Babe hit the back burner in 2007 and got hooked again when Jesse/Angie came on, even though I knew nothing about them. 

GH: I sampled the show throughout 2006 but never got hooked until the Luke and Laura 25th Anniversary special, Laura waking up then relapsing broke my heart and the Metro Court Hostage Crises sealed the deal for me as a fan. 

OLTL: The tornado drew me in, I remember loving Evangeline, Jessica/Tess, Natalie and Adriana but almost tuned out when Evangeline was written out. OLTL is a show I didn’t necessarily love from the beginning of watching but once I discovered it’s rich history (Carla, Tina, Billy Douglas, Marty) it is now my number one show. 

Y&R: I sampled the show from 2006-2008, but I was mainly interested in Dru/Sharon so if they weren’t on I didn’t really stay invested, I could beat myself up for not enjoying Dru in her final year. But what hooked me was the Kay/Marge redux. Y&R had an old school quality I loved. Unfortunately, Kay didn’t stay on the frontburner, Kevin played chipmunk and Y&R did more and more not so great things. 

DAYS: I got hooked in early 2006, with Mimi/Belle, Marlena/Hope and especially Carrie and Lexie vs Sami hooking me. I actually loved the show when they scaled back on the cast and did character-driven drama, well with the baby switch, but Marlena never should have left. Lost interest from 2011-January 2013 when they launched the Gabi vs Sami story and Kristin’s return, I think outside of Daniel Jonas the show was on fire until Nick’s death. It’s been downhill since outside of brief periods of fun like Shoot the Bride, so I come and go.

• Members

ATWT:  The time around/when James Stenbeck was bad but not as bad as he would get - brother Gunnar was on also.  Tom and Margo were played by Justin Deas and Margaret Colin....the Mr. Big storyline.  (I believe this was during the Dobson period of writing the show)  I remember Betsy, Steve, Craig as the triangle and what a huge supercouple Steve and Betsy became.  Loved the Summer storylines with Marcy, Jay, Frannie (not yet Julianne Moore).  I saw the introduction of the Snyder family a little bit later, and of course Holden and Lily's story.  But I was also drawn to Ellie as well as Meg with her relationship and abuse with Tonio Reyes.    One really compelling story that kind of gets lost in the memories of viewers - was Caleb and Angel, and her abuse by her father - the fabulous James Rebhorn (who had played Beth Raines' father on Guiding Light).  And I was always a huge fan of Emma Snyder (Kathleen Widdoes) and I think she deserved an Emmy in there but I don't think she ever got one.  But boy could those actors and actresses make that simple Snyder kitchen look like home, and I wanted to swim in the Snyder pond every day!

• Members

Not surprised at all about hatred of ponytail Mark Kasnoff & the InstaRomance with NuConnor. But, before ponytail did you hate Connor then? I simply must know. 

My mother watched ATWT, AW & DAYS so that is what I started on. 

ATWT I just remember Lisa, Bob, Nancy, arguments between Bob & Lisa, ... other memory is just mush. 

AW I just remember the Matthews family especially Pat & Alice but Russ, too. And, Ada & Rachel. And people sitting at the kitchen table, drinking coffee & talking. 

DAYS I have the most vivid memories of Bill-Laura-Mickey from before the rape, through the rape, on into time immemorial. I do not remember Mickey shooting Bill. Also vivid memories of Marty Hanson, Maggie, her farm, crutches, red shoes, all of that. And also vivid memories of Julie, Susan, David & poor dead baby Dickie & that swing set. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
combine 2 posts