What was the moment and exact storyline that made you love that particular soap opera?

• Members

I grew up watching the CBS line so they were always there.  But for me Y&R really got me when Lauren was buried alive, then Who Shot Jill.

B&B- I watched since Day 1

ATWT- This would have to be Iva being Lily's mother.  The pitch fork scene lives in my brain.

GL- I didn't get into GL until I was in High School.  It was the Brent/Marian storyline that got me.  Then of course the great Annie Dutton stuff.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I started tuning in and out of OLTL during AW's final days because the show had taken in so many former AW actors. What hooked me completely though was the hit-and-run trial with Lindsay accused of running down Jessica and killing her baby even though it was Dorian. The scenes with Lindsay on trial not wanting to admit where she was that night, Jessica having memory flashes that it was Dorian, Dorian confessing to Nora and taking the stand herself. The episodes were so well constructed and had me on the edge of my seat. Even though I wasn't as invested in the history of the show (Viki/Dorian), I was aware of it. 

I ended up watching for the next/last 13 years. 

Edited by Melroser

• Members

Iva running in screaming at the top of her lungs & holding that pitchfork, I swear it has to be one of my top 25 scenes!

Of course, on AW, Perry falling on the pitchfork is another I can't get out of my head! 

GL, I also came to it late but it became my special show & I still miss it so badly. 

• Members

AMC: I started watching in late 1998. I was really hooked by the characters airing then - Gillian, Edmund, Ryan (yes, Ryan!), Dixie, Tad, Hayley, Mateo, to name but a few. But it was the Kit Fisher rape storyline that really pulled me in. I was oddly fascinated by Paige Rowland's portrayal of the character. I thought Christine/Kit should have stuck around awhile longer, but I digress. The whole werewolf mask thing was terrifying to me, but also so compelling. I became a lifelong AMC fan due to that short-run storyline.

GH: Liz and Lucky, the 90's/boxcar/rape storyline. Who didn't love them? I ended up sticking around for other characters, but they started the obsession. However, I gave up the show a while ago and really don't miss it.

Guiding Light: The David Grant story. Kat Speakes. Bridget Reardon. Nadine's baby lie. Such good stuff.

Y&R: Victoria and Ryan's love story.

B&B: The original Tridge love story. Ronn and Hunter were the most beautiful people on soaps once upon a time. I just can't get into the new version despite Krista and Thorsten being lovely, lovely actors. I just think the casting is off there somehow. Plus, I want Krista back on Days so bad, I can't stand it.

Days: Bo/Billie. RKK/Lisa Rinna. Say what you will about those 2 as human beings, but they had mad chemistry. Hope who that?

• Members

I grew up watching the soaps my family watched- GH, OLTL, DAYS.

I started watching GH for myself when Frisco pulled the hat off Felica, and Anna became the leading character. OLTL with Tina being revealed as a Lord, and the return of Nikki Smith. DAYS with Bo and Hope, and the death of Wayne’s Roman Brady.

My sister and I got hooked on Y&R when Katherine was going after Jill, and to this day I credit that part of the show with making me a fan- Katherine vs Jill, with Phillip and Nina ending up in their crosshairs. The cut up photograph, Jill/Jack and the divorce from John, Philip choosing Katherine over his mother, Nina and the baby everyone wanted control of. Years of story born from a story I had not seen, and the show deciding to revisit it.

My local ABC affiliate moved All My Children to 3:00 in the early 90’s, and I was home by 3:15 from school. At first it didn’t really interest me, but I ended up hooked by the Kendall Hart storyline. Erica, Dimitri, Wildwind, Kendall, Anton- they were my gateway. I watched pretty much until Fons had all but destroyed the show.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

For Y&R, it was the crazy Tricia and Matt Clark storylines (as well as Mac/Billy). 

For DAYS, what really got me hooked was the Coronation Massacre, as well as the Baby Switch and Salem Bombings. 

For GH it was the Metro Court Hostage Crisis.

For AMC, it was the tornado of 1995 and Sarah Michelle Gellar.