Days of Our Lives: September 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sarah is one of the most unlikable heroines in daytime.  I know people like LG in general, but her snarky, smug delivery of all her lines is absolutely obnoxious.  Her keeping the babies parentage from Xander and marrying Rex for no real reason is idiotic.  Sarah is an awful character.  

• Members

To play devil’s advocate on the John’s father story, it has played out over very few episodes because it is of little consequence. Unlike the prior revelations, this only serves as a course correction. He is still the adopted Alamaine heir. He is still not part of the Dimera family. And no other part of the cannon has been retconned. It is just a sweet little cameo that gives story to the vets who were not involved in Victor’s funeral.  

It reminded me of similar cameos like Sammy Davis Jr on GH.  A small event to promote the show and give a showcase for an older actor.  But, it is a meaningless detail in John’s history other than giving him a nice guy as his biological father.  John’s a senior citizen, meeting his family of origin no longer has the impact it did a decade ago when they last told this story.  

And why not do a stunt to promote the show?  Especially if it can add a little levity to a sad time in the rest of the story 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Again, just to create a balanced dialogue.  Vivian makes sense because Phillip is back. And it will be a catalyst for uniting Maggie with Justin’s family which secures her role as one of the oldest characters on the show. And the mystery of Victor’s will has me intrigued as to what will happen next.

Arguably without Vivian as an antagonist, and with Sarah living outside of Salem, Maggie would have limited future story potential.  So, if we care about the vets, we should celebrate this plot. ( hyperbole? , just a little, haha).

Edited by j swift

• Members

One year on Peacock already? Time flies when you’re having fun

Please register in order to view this content

Too bad today was ehhhh. 

I’m glad to see Johnny/Chanel reunite. They’ve been through a lot  Let them be happy for a little while too… before it all gets blown to hell again

This Ava vs EJ thing could have such a ripple effect on Chanel/Johnny/Tripp/Wendy and it would be great to see this happen rather than both couples being stuck in a bubble. Talia still lurking around could have been good too. 

Plus, it would be a lot better than the stuff we’re seeing now in this storyline. Why exactly did Ava and Harris need to go on the run if Rafe and the cops know that the hitwoman was going to kill Ava?

Ava and Harris isn’t working anyway. And honestly, has it ever worked when two popular actors on one soap were reunited on another? 

• Members

Happy Anniversary!

Well, I liked them being in the Friend Zone personally but I will try to be open to see.

I can only think of one time when people who were a successful couple on one soap were successful on another & that is George Reinholt & Jacquie Courtney, Steve & Alice on AW and then I think Tony & Pat on OLTL. If that is not their Llanview names someone will correct it, I'm sure. 

So DAYS went to Iceland & everything took place in a motel room & the hall outside the room. Are we now going to go to London & be in another motel room with a hall? Gosh, what an economical way they've come up with to do remotes! Argh. 

Chanel was married to Johnny. 

Later, long after they split up, partly because Johnny had the devil in him, Chanel chose between Johnny & his twin, Allie, choosing her, and they were together for 6 months & then broke up when Allie slept with UGH Alex because she thought Chanel was sleeping with Johnny. So, yes, to a mess! 

• Members

I have never really considered TB's Carly and Jason to be a romantic pairing or anything other than good friends.  TB's Carly actually had better chemistry with Sonny.  So it seems like Days is trying to capture what could have been with TB/SBu when there is no real evidence that's a good idea lol.   They do work well together so it's not the worst idea, but both characters are just such duds.  I think Harris has/had potential at least in the beginning.  Ava is so far past her expiration date as a character it's pointless.

And, no, I don't think it's ever worked to reunite popular actors on a different soap.  We can look to the lovely MBE and SN and their painful romance as Katherine/Stefan on GH as exhibit A.

• Members

Also, it may be snarky to say, but they're a little long in the tooth for a "love on the run" story.  And both Ava and Harris would need a lot of character rehabilitation before I would invest any interest in whether they survive.

This is a logical question because they were in a locked facility protected by guards.  If it were written that they shared a collective paranoia, and it was a sensitive mental health story, that could be interesting (who am I kidding?). 

• Members

I think it's worked on very rare occasions (OLTL with George Reinholt and Jacquie Courtney being one), but yes, it's worth mentioning Steve and Tamara were almost never played romantically on GH. And I've been tired of Ava since before the Obama administration, IIRC.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Ava is one of those soap characters that was great in their first run, but the show just kept bringing them back for no discernible reason except people liked it once. It helps TB won an emmy for the role too.   Ava has definitely outlived her shelf life and has bounced around canvas with little purpose.  She's also suffered from whiplash writing.  The show redeems her than makes her evil again and tries pairing her with people ranging from Steve and John to Johnnie and Rafe.   Is she evil?  Is she sane?  Are the drugs she was taking making her like this?  No idea and I am long past caring.  The show just has never made it clear.

Harris is only around because he's played by Steve Burton.  I did enjoy him on Beyond Salem and I do think there are interesting beats to the character.  But Harris was never integrated with the cast at all.  Everyone he had ties to is long gone and his only link to Salem is his shrink.  I have no investment in him because eventually GH will hire him again and Harris will be a distant memory like Steve's Y&R character.