Days of Our Lives: September 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I think it is a good guess because if we think about the male characters who might not recognize their father at first sight, John is one of the few people who fits that description.  Coupled with unnecessary exposition about his time as The Pawn, I could see your logic. 

• Toups pinned this topic
  • Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel like every writer wants a crack at John's backstory.   I don't like where it stands now with the SAW guy being his father.  I just don't want to go down that road again.  They seriously should have just made him the real Roman years ago (sorry Shawn/Belle) or made him Stefano's son.   Those things made sense.  Not the Yo Ling and Petrov stole John and brainwashed him to be an assassin. 

• Members

Tony/Andre is really bad.  I am sure other soaps do have awful retcons like this, but not nearly as many.   Days seems to have head writers that want to retcon specific stories always and make them their own, so every regime takes on John's backstory or Hope/Gina or Tony/Andre and it will never make sense. 

• Members

Guys if someone was to start watching the show... from what year should I start where I can understand what is going on. Something like a more clean slate period. I am thinking of buying some years to watch on the internet and dont know where I should start... is 1983 or 1984 a good starting point... or maybe later... if someone helps me I would be so grateful.

• Members

There's someone fairly new to Twitter who is uploading DAYS full episodes, starting with 1984, to a Google Drive or something & anyone who will not post it in public is welcome to watch or download. That would save you a ton of money & you could use 1984 as a starting point as readily as pretty much any other date. 

If you want the information, directions as it were, I can do them in a private message to you here. 

• Members

Stefan and EJ have been fighting about a proposed board meeting for months.  Rallying support from various family members.  Drugging each other.  Vowing to work together, and then vowing to suppress each other. 

Meanwhile, it feels as if there is nothing that they are building toward.  There's no date for the board meeting.  There's no project that has to be completed.  There's no deal that has to be made.  And there's no tension, because no matter who is CEO, they're all going to still live together in a mansion.

Also, I have very little sympathy for Belle today.  She's an enabler if she thinks things will go back to normal for her husband after spending one night in the hospital.  She needs to take her head out of her behind, and start to recognize the degree of psychopathology experienced by her husband and her daughter.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Yeah, I mean, retcons have always been a part of soaps with secret children, forgotten marriages and what-not turning up from characters' past (I've never even watched AMC but Erica's non-abortion is kind of infamously bad), but I don't think any of the soaps are quite as bad as DAYS. As you said, the writers just can't seem to stop meddling with John's backstory, Hope / Gina and Tony / Andre for whatever reason. At least when they add Stefano's latest kid to the mix you can sort of believe it because he wasn't young when he came onto the canvas and spent a lot of time off it during periods.

Edited by te.

• Members

I think this is the latest version 

He was born John Robicheaux during the Korean War. His mother had been told that his father had been killed in action. And she couldn’t afford to raise him on her own, so she put him in an orphanage where he was adopted by the Alamains and they named him Forrest. Turned out the father was alive and had become a Communist determined to hurt the West or something lol and took the name Yo Ling. 

As part of the plan, he started the school for assassins. Eventually, he found out his son was Forrest Alamain and him and the school paid or forced the Alamains to give them custody of John. So, the Alamains faked John’s death in the swimming pool and sent him off to the school. 

John ended up being the best student. One of the employees at the school was Petrov. Eventually, Petrov left the school to go work for Stefano and took John with him. John also went to work for Stefano, first as a ruthless mercenary, then as an art thief disguised as a priest. And then finally, brainwashed into being Roman

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Thanks. I found that it is detailed on the John Black wikiwand page & also on the daysofourlives.fandom.com page. Also in theory there is an article on thelist.com but I cannot find it there, so screw it. 

The fandom page goes into SO MUCH detail!!! I'll paste it here for anyone who wants to go deep reminding themselves before we approach next week. Warning: It is not just the retcon data. Instead it is the whole character, the actor, the comings & goings of Dee & Wayne, his children, the children he raised, his grands, etc. 

https://daysofourlives.fandom.com/wiki/John_Black

Edited by Donna L. Bridges
more more more