DEADLINE: Days of our Lives Misconduct Investigation Against Co-EP Albert Alarr

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That’s what I figured but I was thinking about the 25 cast members being revealed and it’s been a while since I brushed up on law but I was feeling like since this will probably only be a civil lawsuit matter I doubt the cast members would be revealed like if it was a criminal trial you know.

• Members

Okay, ex-soap journo Michael Kape said to me that he would not comment except to say that it was about who owns SOD. So, I went to see about that somewhat quixotic statement that seemed pointed. 

SOD is owned by Odyssey Magazine Publishing Group, Inc. One individual is listed as principal, David J. Pecker. 

David J Pecker is an American publishing executive and businessman who was the CEO of American Media until August 2020. He was the publisher of Men’s Fitness, Muscle and Fitness, Flex, Fit Pregnancy, Shape and Star. He was also the publisher of National Enquirer, Sun, Weekly World News, and Globe 

• Members

Alarr has worked at days for 20 years and obviously is a talented director/producer who has been able to work around the severe budget cuts Days has endured. No doubt he has an abrasive personality that probably came to the fore more often as his stature grew and the pressure to deliver those 5 eps aweek became more intense.

Ken Corday just seems to want to put his faith on others to keep Days going as he has no real talent or deep investment apart from trying to keep Days alive as a tribute to his parents and the responsibilty passed on to him. Who knows what his personal and professional relationship is to Albert?

I would imagine Ken tells Albert things have gone too far and  he has no other choice-he'll pay out his contract and allow Albert the chance to save face by issuing  a statement in his defense.

• Members

You mean you think he did buy out his contract yesterday before announcing that he had been fired & replaced? And you think it was Ken's idea that Alarr issue that statement blaming everyone else & then playing the race card? 

And, while it is true that they turn over 5 episodes per week to Peacock, they actually tape 8 episodes per week. A Director says that there's no way they could do even one more scene but that they get in those 8 episodes every single week. Then he adds that it sort of makes their heads spin around like an F/X to accomplish it. 

• Members

I don't think Ken had any involvement in what Albert put in that statement. 

I can see why Albert expressed those sentiments. His actions and attitude show that he is unaware or uncaring about how his work habits and leadership style affect others. All he sees is 20 years of hard work and success be negated. As his statement shows, he blames a couple of people for stirring up trouble.

i'm sure many of us have worked for, or alongside 'difficult' people who blame others for being 'thin skinned' or 'unable to take a joke'

I remember one co-worker prone to tantrums and crying fits stating 'that's just how I am , I can't change'

• Members

Obviously, we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes, but I hope that what actually took this week to get sorted was a settlement with AA. I think that's why it took so long to announce his exit and why he was allowed to publish a lengthy, personally slanted, statement, and why the statement from Corday was so short, bland, and inconsequential. 

If AA does sue, I think he'll have a terribly expensive uphill climb. The entire cast will testify against him, ex-cast members will testify against him, and there may be crew who would testify against him as well. On a balance of probabilities, which is the legal test in a civil lawsuit, I don't see how he'd succeed. 

• Members

@Paul RavenI think what we have seen goes well beyond just an abrasive personality or a difficult boss. The sheer number of actors that signed the letter tells me that this was way more than that. Those types of things just do not happen often. The actions taken after the investigation and Corday’s handling of it by the cast kind of prove the seriousness of the allegations. What those women came forward with is more than a difficult boss.

To me what we have here is the classic case of no one (Corday) managing issues before they become this systemic and problematic. If Alarr’s behavior had been addressed much earlier (as Farrah Faith claimed, he was gross all the way back to her first love scene), then maybe his talents would have prevailed and his behavior towards women could have been corrected in the working environment. Although personally I think disrespecting women in this way, or being racist or homophobic at any time with colleagues is worth termination. But I get HR departments try to mitigate firing immediately.

Now the larger issue as pointed out by Alarr is worth noting as well- daytime soaps have a terrible track record with hiring people of color and moving them into leadership positions. Or onscreen. 

Edited by titan1978

• Members

DAYS Writing for example had 4 African Americans. 1. Dorell last script 2-1 and his contract term just ran out. 2. Jamey took a primetime gig by his choice although he still owes the show 2 weeks after strike 3. Cheryl won a playright's competition & her play is going to be produced. Obviously her choice to leave & so proud! 4. Recent Jazmen last day. IDK. Largely the show could not retain them by no fault of its own but where are the new recruits POC?!! 2 recent hires have been family members. That's a choice. 

• Members

I'm glad Albert Alarr is GONE. Good riddance! He should have been fired long ago. But unlike others thrilled about Janet Spellman-Drucker, I'd love to know if she ever spoke out over the years since she was on the front lines during Alarr's reign. With all of the toxicity onset, Janet was there and saw it first hand.  Did she ever speak up to anyone? Promoting the next in line because she's been there for decades yet she was there to witness all of the crap seems corporate standard to me. I completely understand why some wanted Sonia Blangiardo since she is a director and not onset everyday. Did Janet ever stand up to Albert and tell him that what he was doing is unacceptable? If she didn't and was afraid that she'd fired if she spoke up, I don't have much confidence in her ability to lead this show. I'd love to know her point of view about what happened all these years while she was there.

• Members

I'm sorry you felt that way, because I hope this is a lively community where everyone gets to say their peace.  But I also think that you may have misrepresented the responses to your post.

The cast did an excellent job at advocating for themselves.  However, Ms Zucker did not make a well considered post in response to fans begging her to speak out. She organized her peers and affected change as a professional.

I believe fans should not use social media to either force actors into making a statement, nor should we judge those who have not. I inferred your original post as demanding established actors do something performative to give voice to the audience outrage, which I felt was misguided, so I engaged with you based on that issue.

• Members

I am sure some fans would like to say some things too lol

The lack of people of color has always been a problem for soaps but that’s another conversation. The problem is the fact he tried to use his race as if it was the real reason he was let go instead of what was the obvious.