Days: June 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I do see everyone's point about DAYS cancellation looming for decades and never coming true. Especially seeing Jason47's ratings from 70s and 80s where DAYS is almost always in the bottom half of the ratings, makes me wonder how did they survive for so long? (Yes, I know about their ratings renaissance of the 90s). 

But the difference between before and now (for me at least) when speaking about potential cancellation is that clearly NBC never had a solution to fill up that timeslot. NBC has been just killing their soaps one by one for years and finally when they were left with only one, I would assume that they never found anything that would be as watched for such a budget. 

However, lets be real, DAYS was dumped from NBC. NBC finally found something to replace DAYS with (don't follow those ratings, so I have no idea if it is a successful replacement or not). Now being on a streaming service, I would say that it will be much easier to pull the plug. Because there is no timeslot, there is no replacement needed to be found. As soon as the numbers are not as good, Peacock will pull the plug. And yes, this is only my assumption that DAYS is not doing so stellar on Peacock, just because any news of streaming ratings that do come out and Peacock is mentioned, it is never DAYS that gets mentioned. 

So yes, these are all my assumptions, but I just think it is much easier now to pull the plug than ever before, because it is no longer a network tv show. Streaming services nowadays are killing shows left and right. 

As for the quality.. I wouldn't know. I stopped watching full time a long time ago (when was Hogan the HW? :D) because even then I didn't like it anymore. And even though I tried to come back several times (last attempt was during the Ben serial killer storyline... I remember also watching Bo dying.. was that happening at the same time or was that separate? Don't remember..). Based on what I read, the quality had to have gone down because this SF [!@#$%^&*] has really gone out of control. But I'll have to believe you all when you say it has been just as bad all these years.

Please register in order to view this content

EDIT: sorry, just realized now what a huge post this is.. sorry about that

Edited by Manny

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

No.  I am not saying the show today is anything great, but I don't think it's a rapid decline.  It's been just a steadily bad for years and years.  Now is that an argument that the show should have been canceled years ago?  Maybe, but I am glad it's still here even if I just make fun of it lol.  The one thing I will say about Days is that although the budget/production/execution is awful, it still feels like Days.  You see characters you have seen for years and their children and grandchildren and I do think it has a familiarity that makes it special.   I mean, the characters are generally in sets that resemble cardboard boxes, but at least it's characters we know and like for the most part.

• Members

Yeah, understandable.  I am not saying Ron isn't bad or burnt out or that he should get a pass because he's about the same as other bad Days writers lol.  I am just saying I can definitely remember being a least as frustrated with some previous writing regimes.  I do think it's time for Days to make a serious change to adjust with the budget and streaming so in that regard I do agree with everyone else.   It's almost hard for me to remember when Days was "good" though.

• Members

I would like to steer the discussion back to the current episodes in the hope that those who wish to re-adjudicate the past will do in the behind the scenes thread.  

I enjoy the odd juxtaposition of tone.  Today, I found myself equally moved by Paulina being informed of Abe's supposed death as I was amused by Li sticking Harris's phone in his unconscious face in order to unlock it. 

To those who argue that DAYS is underfunded, I would counter that they are doing a lot with the pennies they've been given.  In that past few months we got at least three new sets (Sloan's apartment, Whitley's abode, and Rolf's lab).  Unlike the episodes on NBC where it felt claustrophobic when entire episodes occurred in one room, today's episode utilized five different settings (the pier, the park, the pub, the police station, and Paulina's apartment - give it up for the unintended alliteration). 

So, if you want to discuss BTS gossip about PR, the motivations of people you've never met, and the economics of streaming, feel free to do so in the appropriate threads.  If you don't wish to support the writer or the production because it didn't live up to your expectations a decade ago, then I hope you find something else to entertain you. 

But, please don't distract from the enjoyment that I get out of discussing the current show among those who are actually watching it.  Because it feels bad to try to have some fun joking about the characters and the story while being told that I am wasting my time on a show that it isn't as good as it was 40 years ago. Especially, given the creative responses of those who contribute to this thread regularly. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Today was an improvement over yesterday and Monday. Idk, maybe it’s just that these storylines and characters are the ones that are worth watching. In some ways, even Gwen and Leo. Shocking, I know

Even though this storyline is making her dumb as a post and I still think she deserves to get hurt, I’m actually enjoying it. 

I liked Tripp and Wendy’s quick date. It was really sweet and dorky and it was also nice just seeing the two of them have fun. And, Tripp looked good too

The one thing missing from this storyline is the interaction between Wendy and Chanel. They really should be having scenes together, discussing the situation that they’re in and maybe even arguing and fighting over it. And yeah, I’m also still holding out hope for a Tripp/Johnny brawl. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a good fight on Days

I also liked Sloan and Eric today. Despite lying to Eric, you can tell that she’s really sincere about being with him and starting a family. This is the depth that I was always talking about for Sloan. And I hope that the show keeps that up. 

• Members

I don't have the legal background of Kim Kardashian, but why would Sloan think that Abe's death would be good for Colin?  Paulina could still testify to Colin's crime, and if the assault contributed to Abe's death, Colin could be additionally charged.

The map of Salem continues to confuse me as well. Johnny didn't want Chanel to drive to Paulina's home, but it always seems as if everyone but those in the mansion district lives within walking distance of the square.

• Members

It all depends on WHO is being let go. Or who they decide not to use (isn't like half the cast on recurring?). There are SO many characters on this show. I'm catching up on the last couple weeks and I forgot Li still existed. Meanwhile, Bonnie & Justin are suddenly back (oh yeah, they still exist) and Bonnie no longer knows how to lie after spending decades lying through her teeth without breaking a sweat. 

There's a lot of dead weight and/or characters that need a good rest. If they sliced the cast by a half, perhaps they could start taping scenes in such a way where stories aren't told in blocks and chunks where stories are featured heavily for 3 weeks and then completely dropped for 3 weeks. I dunno. Start with narrowing the focus to a smaller ensemble. 

But yeah, they'd probably turn the show into the Gwen & Leo Comedy Hour. 

Sorry to be nitpicky, but Sloane's apartment is a revamp of Eli/Lani's former abode. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Members

I can’t help but think that Sloan confiding in Colin may come back to bite her at some point. 

I’m still liking Tripp/Wendy/Johnny, even though this story is missing a lot of beats. Having them interact with more characters or having more characters be apart of that storyline would make it better. Hell, poor Johnny’s so isolated, he didn’t even know about Gabi and Stefan’s engagement party. And I still think Chanel should be featured more too. Tripp should have wanted to go console her as well, which in turn can cause conflict between him and Wendy. 

And, even though I think there’s not much chemistry between Chloe and Xander, I do have to admit, they are an attractive couple though