2023 Writers + Actors Strike Thread

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

https://deadline.com/2023/07/viola-davis-waiver-g20-actors-strike-1235450850/

Viola's decision came out after Sarah Silverman put the Guild on blast for the many waivers going around, although obviously Viola's decision wasn't based on Sarah's comments - apparently the amount of waivers has been getting a lot of talk, and controversy (probably not helped by how many still distrust Fran Drescher).

https://deadline.com/2023/07/sarah-silverman-interim-sag-aftra-agreements-movies-stars-strike-1235450719/

• Members

And, it is apparently just coincidence or happenstance that is so. This GH writer Shannon made a statement that got picked up last week. But back on May 15 RonC made a statement that on Day One he'd be replaced. Headline: Days of Our Lives Head Writer Ron Carlivati on WGA Strike's Fi-Core Problem: "I'm Being Replaced on Day One" & that was not picked up. 

Also GH is being picketed again this strike. Is anyone else being picketed?

• Members

Blame it on the power of the Twitter algorithm. As bare bones and broken as Twitter is now, it still lead to a combination of that article about ABC hiring temp writers for the show to meet noticeable scab comments by several striking actors and writers, and soap fans diving in to defend their shows. Y&R fired so many writers before the strike, which did get minor play from mainstream media outlets.

What surprised me is that DAYS story about Alarr was not really bubbling under the mainstream before Deadline. Usually I see major soap news online before places like Deadline or Variety run anything.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

They’re all using uncredited scabs, but the difference between the Bell soaps and GH is that GH isn’t listing any writer credits which means their entire team is scabs. For Y&R and B&B at least they’re listing those who went Fi-Core so at least the people they have credited are facing the consequences that go along with being Fi-Core. With GH not listing anyone, it makes you wonder just who is writing and if they’re crossing the picket lines. 

Considering how much better the scripts have been, I’m sure whoever is writing GH is very experienced and likely angling off a job post strike. 

• Members

Please register in order to view this content

MediaRadar, advertising, supposing & assuming in their new report about lost ad revenue with soaps not being on the air in the fall.     I just had the best time explaining their error to machines. At least they record. 

However, this out of context quote is interesting. "Ad revenue for TV soap operas in the first half of 2023 climbed 17% year over year to $118.6 million, compared to $101.5 million during the same period a year ago ..."

Edited by Donna L. Bridges