What Are You Listening To?

WTGH

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Famous Fans (Not On Topic)

Alice Barrett (Frankie Frame) discovered that movie superstar Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman, My Best Friend's Wedding) is an "Another World" fan. Barrett filled in for Roberts during rehearsals for the series finale of "Murphy Brown," on which Roberts was a special guest star. When Roberts finally arrived on the set, Barrett was surprised to find that Roberts recognized her as Frankie Frame. After giving Barrett a hug, Roberts admitted that she was thrown for a loop the day Frankie was killed off.

Tennessee Williams, who wrote such theater classics as "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," counted "Another World" as one of his favorite television series.

The legendary, singer-actress, Judy Garland, best known for her performance as Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz", was so thrown by seeing Constance Ford (Ada Davis) in the audience at one of her concerts that she had to take a break.

l lived in New York (well, okay, actually I lived in Brooklyn) for 7 years & I got to know people who knew something about the soap world. One of them told me that Greta Garbo never missed an episode of "Another World."

Bette Davis watched "Another World" every day.

General Hospital has many famous fans, including:
Wayne Gretzky and his wife, Janet Jones.
The Sopranos actor Vincent Pastore, who joined the show in late 2008 for a short guest stint.
World-renowned skier Kristi Leskinen is a devout fan of the show.
Actor Jason Gray-Stanford.
Singer Billy Currington.
Freestyle motocross rider Mike Metzger is also a fan of the program and rarely misses an episode.
Elizabeth Taylor was a part of Luke and Laura's 1981 wedding, and joined the cast temporarily as the originating Helena Cassadine.

Princess Diana was a devout fan of the show, and went as far as to send two bottles of Bollinger champagne to Anthony Geary and Genie Francis in time for Luke and Laura's 1981 wedding. Geary turned his into a lamp.

General Hospital helped launch the singing career of Rick Springfield, who had watched the show for many years before joining the series in 1981.
Comedian Jimmy Pardo frequently refers to his fandom on his podcast Never Not Funny, and has had stars of the show such as Jack Wagner, Carolyn Hennesy, and Jason Thompson on the podcast as guests.

"As the World Turns" has had its share of famous fans---author Stephen King and pianist Van Cliburn, who could always tell when the organist was on vacation because the background music wasn't nearly as good. Fred Astaire, Bobby Short, Andy Warhol and hockey star Ron Greschner all watched religiously, as did Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and famed historian Shelby Foote. Mamie Eisenhower, Betty Ford, Lillian Carter, Barbara Bush, and Bette Davis who called them daytime dramas instead of soap operas.

Bette Davis once confessed to Val Dufour at a party that she and her friend-secretary-confidant, Vic Greenfield, were card-carrying soap lovers; so much so that whenever she misses an episode of "Another World," her favorite show she calls serial-buddy Fran Allison, to find out what happened. Bette was watching the week that I died, says Val, who played the ill-fated Walter Curtin on "World" for eight years, "and then she called me and told me how sorry she was to see me go. She said, Your last days were just beautiful, Val!"

• Members

@Donna B    This is where you are at right now:

Home >  Non-Soap Related >  Music & Movies > What Are You Listening To?

It's at the top of every page. It's also part of reading the room - participate in what you see happening. Join it, don't saturate or turn it upside down. This is just my advice; trying to give you constructive feedback.

• Members

"Non-Soap Related" >  "Music & Movies" 

But please try to also consider the other parts of what I said... Don't just gobble up empty board space like we're playing Reverse-PacMan. It's a lot. Example - If someone points out to you that your comments don't fit the discussion you're in, that's not a reason in itself to try to post yet another comment. More doesn't mean better.

• Members

I showed you how it is not appropriate for here. It is soap-related, and it's a non-soap-related, music & movies, section of the community. So to answer your question, no, it isn't.

And as far as gobbling up space, I'm saying that much of your content - and you post a lot of it in a short amount of time - seems to come out of left field. It's not all of it - sometimes you do engage, and that's good. But when that out-of-left-field stuff happens (i.e. your first post in this discussion, above), it's a lot of content and it's overwhelming,

It may come from your enthusiasm. I don't know what motivates it. All I know is, when I read through this board for the past few weeks, I'm now preparing myself at every turn for your comments - often several consecutive. It appears others are feeling that way, too.

I'm suggesting that you take a moment to dial it back, and try to read what's happening, and be a part of it. To put it as if it were a real world conversation: ENGAGE in the discussion, avoid talking over it. There's nothing to prove. Just add to the quality of the conversation by both listening, then talking in response, and so-on... I'm honestly trying to help you here. Thanks for considering it.