GL: Bloss Spoiler

• Members

The rumors prove to be true, next week Blake, Dinah and all of Roos' loved ones learn that he was involved in a plane crash, that has "claimed" his life.

It also comes to light over the next two weeks that Alan-Micheal has had secret meetings with Ross and furthermore both Dinah and A-M express their opinions to Blake, that they believe Ross was having an affair with his assistant Niki.

I am digesting all of this, will post more later.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand the killing off of the character. I already found that out yesterday and I understand that, since we'll never get JvD back [before the show is cancelled] but I think it's unnecessary to write in that he was having an affair. Perhaps this'll catapult Blake into a whole new storyline as a result of his infidelity.

• Members

Right it is one thing to kill the character and then to topple on an affair!!! That is not the Ross Marler I knew.

I don't know though...the storyline it will propel Blake into is her running for MAYOR of Springfield against hollier than thou, Jeffery!!!!

GAG ME!!!

• Members

Found this interview with Jerry VerDorn regarding Ross' death!!! If you can't tell I'm very upset by all of this....GL is breaking my heart:

DARK ENDING FOR LIGHT HERO

Last September Jerry ver Dorn left his signature soap role as politician Ross Marler on CBS' Guiding Light to step in as the new Clint Buchanan at ABC's One Life to Live. Since the move was abrupt, GL covered for Ross' absence by explaining that he'd gone off to Washington, D.C. Next week viewers will get the sad news that Ross has died in an off-screen plane crash. TVGuide.com asked GL's longest-running cast member how he feels about his character's grim exit.

TVGuide.com: How has the news of Ross' death hit you?

Jerry ver Dorn: I feel kind of bad about it because I invested 26 years, but there's no way the show could have given me resolution to the character. Even if they wanted to, there's no way I could've gotten out because Guiding Light took me off contract, and two days later I was on contract with One Life to Live. It's sad.

TVGuide.com: It sounded like GL hoped to retain several actors but save money by bumping them to recurring status.

Ver Dorn: Well, they can say all sorts of things. I still have two kids in college, so it was kind of a poor time to take me off contract! [Laughs] The definition of "unemployed" is not knowing how much you're going to earn next week. The budget cuts were so severe. Just for my family's sake, I had to look for work.

TVGuide.com: Fair enough. The off-screen death is a downer, though. Would you have minded if GL recast Ross instead?

Ver Dorn: I wouldn't have minded at all. Several people played Dr. Ed Bauer, for example. He was a long-running character on GL. I'm the second guy to play Clint on OLTL. So it's not sacrosanct. But they had to do something to free up the other characters to move on. Liz Keifer (Blake) is married to Ross; there's also Gina Tognoni, who plays my daughter Dinah. It's a big deal for the viewers because they get p---ed off when they know something has happened in real life and the show doesn't address it. Anyway, I understand my funeral is very nice. I wish I could've been there! [Laughs]

Come back and read Friday's Soaps News for scoop on the big story line that's sparked by Ross's death.

• Members

"I don't believe he'd cheat on Blake."

Well...technically he already has...but you're right. Blake and Ross got through their problems and were happy.

Now personally, I wouldn't have killed Ross off at all and would have wrote Blake out. I mean, hell, it's not as if she's going to be used in any substantial way ever again. If they were going to use her, they would have offered her more than just the measly contract that they offered her.

• Members

This twist is not only necessary, but it is brilliant.

Ross is a legend in Springfield, he has too many ties there to be "out of town" all of the time. Even a Senator could return in a moments notice.

This will impact many characters and be great story.

And Liz was offered a 13 week contract...which in essence is as good as a 3 year contract as actors can be let go at the end of every 13 week cycle. Right or wrong of Gl in all of our minds, thats what it was.

If by some miricle JvD would come back, it will make a great story for him as well.

For JvD to go from a character that was to only be on a short while to be on 26 years is outstanding.

I do agree, they should have kept him on .....but the decision was made...now you do what you do to get around it.

• Members

The affair twist would have been brilliant back in the late 1970s, when Ross was a snaky character before he met Carrie Todd. Now, it just seems like a callous way to kill off the character.

That is, if Ross is even dead. I'm not crazy about this, but I understand with JVD at OLTL the hands were tied.

Archived