Romantic chemistry that survived recasts

• Members

The talk of Mason/Julia in the SaBa thread made me think of this: what are some couples whose chemistry survived a recast (or at least evolved into a different kind of chemistry instead of petering out altogether)? I can think of many whose chemistry didn’t survive, of course, partially because the recast was a flop in general.

Obviously, Tom/Margo on ATWT is up there (with the caveat that they’ve become most memorable as distinct pairs—Colin/Deas, HBS/Marx, Dolan/Holmes), but what others can you think of? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Frank/Jill, Ryan's Hope - Daniel Hugh Kelly (#3) had very strong chemistry with Nancy Addison. 

It was never the same for me, but Jerry ver Dorn did eventually find chemistry with Liz Keifer after Sherry Stringfield left GL.

Peter Simon had chemistry with both Ellens (Dolan and Parker) on GL.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

That’s a really good one. Definitely wasn’t instantaneous and they didn’t have the same spark (I suppose that makes since they started as an affair under Sherry and evolved into a loving married couple with Liz). The writing definitely didn’t do them any favors.

I’m not the hugest Jason fan, but I think Burton maintained an ease with all of the main Carlys.

• Members

As the World Turns

• Aaron & Alison
  • Alison & Chris
  • Craig & Rosanna
  • Carly & Craig
  • Dusty & Lily

The Bold and the Beautiful

• Hope & Liam
  • Macy & Thorne

Days of Our Lives

• Abigail & Chad
  • Belle & Shawn-Douglas
  • EJ & Nicole
  • Eric & Nicole
  • Jack & Jennifer
  • Paul Will
  • Sonny & Will

Guiding Light

• Alexandra & Fletcher
  • Beth & Phillip
  • Blake & Ross
  • Coop & Lizzie

General Hospital

• Carly & Sonny
  • Elizabeth & Lucky

One Life to Live

• Clint & Viki
  • Kelly & Joey
  • Kelly & Kevin

Santa Barbara

• C.C. & Sophia
  • Eden & Kirk
  • Julia & Mason

The Young and the Restless

• Ashley & Victor
  • Jack & Phyllis
  • Jill & John
  • Kyle & Summer
  • Nick & Phyllis

• Members

That’s an interesting, possibly controversial pick. I’d like to know more of your thoughts on that one.

For ‘80s/early ‘90s OLTL fans, this scene has always struck me as uncomfortably rapey viewed through a more modern lens, but it seems that Fiona and Nicholas Walker had undeniable chemistry as Gabrielle/Max in a similar way to Fiona/JdP. Is that the case, or is this just out of context?

• Members

I would say Walker and Fiona had very intense chemistry, and of a very different sort than she had with JDP. 

Yes, reading some of the comments on Youtube for the Bloss reveal video - claims that the story was based on Woody and Soon Yi (!) and Liz apparently saying that Sherry left because they didn't know how to write for Blake (which I can believe), it's even more of a marvel that they worked as well as they did. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

How would you describe her with JdP? From my experience with him (post-Blair), DePaiva wears his hunger and vulnerability on his sleeve, like he’s all consumed with love. (Not that he wasn’t also deadpan a lot of time, but Max was placed in a lot of vulnerable places in the ‘90s with his gambling addiction and love story with Luna.) The little I’ve seen of NW, seems like he wore his cards a bit closer to his vest as a baseline.

• Members

There was certainly intensity there as well (Gabrielle was meant to be the more primal side of him while Megan was lighter) but I don't think JDP's Max was as fully consumed. I do think they tried to write some light stuff with Walker but he was just a very heavy performer. 

• Members

It’s true: they maintained some chemistry, albeit a very different kind than before. NC and Sydney had chemistry off the charts to me, partially because Sydney projected such strength and fire while TA is softer and more traditional “heroine” to me.

• Members

Those are really good ones too. ED helped Eileen show a softer side that she wasn’t quite able to do with many others while it came more naturally to Brenda. And PB had equally volcanic chemistry with Stafford and Tognoni (the latter of which was ruined with all of the Billy stupidity—JT and Stafford feel so weird together in scenes).

• Members

If I am honest, despite not being well received, I did enjoy the chemistry between Stephanie Cameron & Mark Valley, and have found Matthew Ashford & Cady McClain work incredibly well together. My interest would be if Melissa Reeves could work well with Valley or any kind of Jack recast.

Michelle Stafford & Jason Thompson hold ZERO chemistry together. The pairing of Billy & Phyllis was clearly due to Gina Tognoni's take on Phyllis. Plus, don't forget: I also remember some chemistry between Peter Bergman & Sandra Nelson, too!