Days: January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I really liked Allie at first, partly because I grew up loving Sami and had expectations for her kids, but I think they never really had an idea of what to do with her. To me she's had very little agency, like stuff just happens to her. It's weird and boring. It's too bad they like the actor who plays Alex more than the one who plays Tripp, because as meh as I am about him, I think Tripp would've been the better character for this plot point. 

I hope they're going to do something ridiculously big with the devil, like make the whole stupid flower saga a delusion he created to mess with Marlena. Like, let's get through it then jump back to the scene where the Black/Brady clan prayed the devil put of her, as though she was in a different universe. Make it a bit Dark Shadows, in a way. 

• Members

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like what they're doing with Allie right now. As others have pointed out, they brought on the character with an attitude and a sense of drive, and then she just sort of... existed. There really hasn't been an Allie outside of her relationships with Tripp and Chanel in a while. (Does she struggle with mothering a young child and running a business? We wouldn't know!) So using the death of her beloved grandmother to kickstart some bitterness and acting out for her works for me. Johnny punched out Tripp because of the loss of both his grandmas. Allie got snippy with Chanel and Johnny, because of her grief and insecurity. She's like 22 years old. That feels human and believable to me.

• Members

Seriously though, Father Eric is a machine

Please register in order to view this content

I liked Tripp and Johnny today. As much as I want them to hate each other, I wouldn't mind seeing them as besties either. They both could really use a platonic friend anyway. 

And yeah, I admit that I don't really like Allie anymore, but I am enjoying the storyline. Like @Michaelsaid, it's real and believable. And as mean as Allie comes off, I still think Lindsay Arnold is doing a good job. This is the storyline that needed to happen from the very beginning. Idk why they basically stopped it in order to do that stupid crap with Sloan's mother. 

Hahahahaha

What an intelligent young man he is 

Exactly.

That's why I'm hoping that Tripp gets weaved into their storyline as well. 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Leo is a vile character. It's telling that even the cast members are not able to stop themselves from speaking up about the hoops jumped through to try to keep him on the canvas. 

Carlivati is so delusional and stubborn, he will not let this character go. At a time when violence against lgbt people, including gay men, is piling up, on the streets, in the courts, pulpits, and state legislatures, he puts an ugly stereotype front and center, year in, year out. He did this on GH too.

Irna Phillips could probably do a better job with a gay character, and she died 50 years ago. Representation, my ass. 

• Members

They'd absolutely be pairing them up if Tinker wasn't out. I wouldn't assume it won't happen in future.

Somewhere along the way Ron decided that camp and bitchy characters, or irredeemable villains, are simply another way he can show his skill and force his will on the audience to make them accept the unacceptable. This started with the rapemance on OLTL and he's been doubling down with many characters since. Almost all of the 'good'-typed characters on a show (who he in the past wrote very well) are classed all as either boring or hypocrites, while Leo/Gwen/Obrecht/Ben/Victor/et al are bold truthtellers who deep down have hearts of gold and must be embraced by those to whom they've done wrong. And it's too bad, because his conception of LGBT characters IMO used to be a lot more nuanced. Today you're just waiting for the next two-dimensional stereotype which Ron then pretends is simply 'queer and proud'. I don't have a problem with loud gay characters or edgy characters; I have a problem when that's all they are, and when they do terrible things and then the show tries to meme its way through it. Case in point: Leo.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm a bit more conflicted on this issue.

While I think @Vee's response to the LGBTQ characters is a good point that is well made.  This week I am also appreciating the nuances in the writing of Nicole and Eric.  There is more complexity in their struggle to maintain relationships, and an adherence to a morals, with their inner demons.

I never like when a show is intentionally campy.  That sort of humor should be the domain of the audience in terms of a reaction to earnest drama (like we've been discussing with Y&R's historic use of music).  And I cringe when a show tries to be "in" on the joke as a means of seeming cool or hip. 

But, I don't want to dismiss this period of writing when we also get these heterosexual couples that explore a more progressive approach to sex.  Although, I also appreciate the irony that it is the one thing that I like from the most successful out gay head writer in daytime.

Edited by j swift