NETFLIX: "Harry and Meghan"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I’m agnostic when it comes to most of these people, I just find it more than a little amusing that people feel so strongly about this. There are genuine things to be upset over going on right now, on both sides of the Atlantic (e.g. many people are unlikely to be able to heat their homes this winter) but this isn’t one of them. The RF serve no genuine purpose but it’s up to the Brits if they want to keep this carousel of bread and circuses (without the bread) going. It’s just high-key hilarious to see people in a snit over this couple. It’s a form of entertainment of its own making.

I don’t watch daytime soaps anymore, so I take my entertainment where I can get it.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I just finished the first three eps. I was glad to see that they address Harry's Nazi costume and his response to the scandal. I was fascinated when Harry was describing how the British press works with the Rota and the comms offices. I got a whole new perspective on how utterly insane the whole circus is. It's just another vector for vicious misinformation. Just another part of the right wing assault on truth and democracy.

Don't even get me started on the hot garbage that is the Markle family. I'm so glad Thomas Markle stayed away.

I'll never understand the hostility some people feel toward this couple.

Edited by marceline

• Members

@DramatistDreamer wrote "I was surprised at the number of people who did not know that England compensated slaveowners for the loss of their slaves, while giving the former slaves absolutely nothing and that British taxpayers, including some of the descendants from the colonies where England once held slaves, were are all paying those descendants of slave owners until 2015."

Thank you for posting this!  I didn't know about this until I read your post. omg. I don't have netflix so I can't watch this.  I'm so glad you posted and so angry this happened.  omg and meanwhile people in the US are angry about anyone suggesting reparations to descendants of people who were enslaved.

I am an elderly person who hasn't been to school in decades but try to keep myself apprised of progressive news; and I consciously try to learn/correct about whatever lack of true knowledge I learned in school. But I hadn't known this before you posted. I will now read up on it.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Reading your posts, I consider you to be a highly learned person. We’re all still learning, at least we should be. It’s not surprising that in the U.S. people wouldn’t know this, especially considering the curriculum that is most commonly taught. In the U.K. though, there is a lot of boasting about just how ahead England supposedly was in emancipating slaves in their colonies, while neglecting to tell the rest of the story. They fondly tell some of the story, they just don’t tell all of it, which is just as awful as not telling at all, as it is lies by omission.

• Members

She was talking about the Brits not facing their own history of slavery and that they(the UK taxpayer) has been funding slave owners and their descendants for years up to 2015. Without giving ONE POUND to the actual enslaved people. The UK needs a Truth and Reconciliation commission just as much as the US does. It will happen about as soon as it happens in the US, which means likely never. I doubt Harry and Meghan leaving these details out bothered many people especially those in the UK who think when it comes to racism, the Brits are far ahead of the US.  I can't shake my head long enough at this foolishness. Unless you're suggesting they left that part out of their special because it was on the backs of the enslaved, those that the Royal Family accrued all their wealth from.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

It's not just the UK, it's all over the world. Look at Brazil, it's built on what status you are and even the color of your skin. Brazil has 3 different races they class: white, black, and pardo (mix race), which is almost half the population.

Many European countries, especially during the Syrian refugee crisis, refused to let them stay in their countries, like Greece, Italy, Hungary, Poland to name a few. Countries like Germany and England were more welcoming. 

The thing about many European countries, they won't change their ways and you have to adapt to their ways and culture. Smoking is still a huge thing and as someone who plans on relocating to Europe in a few years, they are very well aware of America's cancel culture and are against it.

• Members

Diana's interview was not faked. Lord I wish people would actually read about what the scandal was regarding her interview. Regardless of how she was misled to participate in the interview, no one has indicated what she shared were lies.

Are there still people out there who believe Charles and TRF are some beacan of goodness. Good lord Charles sent his own son and daughter in law on a tour of how many of the former colonies intentionally knowing they would be humiliated. That's some doting father there. I don't think Kate is stupid, but William must be pretty dim not to have seen that coming. Charles worked for the last 20 years at least trying to push his mother out as head of TRF. Fortunately, he underestimated her and how beloved SHE was.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I have seen enough of her and think she seems to be a wonderful person and a great mother. 

Harry is still feeling the effects of the loosing his mother at a young age and how she was always being followed and he is well aware how antiqued and probably pointless the royal family truly is. He always been the rebel of the family and now he has Meghan, to really callout the family. He is following in his mothers footsteps.

I was shocked that the people of England taxes, like 100 million goes to the royal family. They are driving in Ranger Rovers, have security, while many people of the country are strolling to put food on the table.

Sorry, I think the royal family should be abolished and make they work at McDonald's and have them fly Ryan Air, like the regular Brits lol

• Members

I suppose you can make a case that it's TRF that bring in a ton of tourist $$$ to the UK. Do they deserve the handouts they continue to get from the taxpayers for this. No but maybe some see it as just compensation. Forget how many centuries their colonialism raped and pillaged billions of dollars to add to their wealth I guess.

I wish we would stop this nonsense about cancel culture. It doesn't exist except to people who never want to be held accountable for THEIR own actions.  They want to run all over attacking PoC, Gay people, Jews, women without having anyone say a word to them or god forbid challenge the garbage they spew. The only cancel culture I see are people banning books and transgender folks because of their own hatred, ignorance and intolerance.