NETFLIX: "Harry and Meghan"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I started watching it this morning while getting ready for work and got the first 10 minutes in. Will finish it all after work.  I am mixed on there story.  I am also listening to the Revenge book by Tom Brower on them on my commute to work.  

I do think that Meghan thought she could call the shots and not follow protocol, and that is on her. But I also think the RF also didn't properly work with her like they did Kate, etc to prepare her for the life as a royal. 

• Members

Netflix won’t give a damn about the people who are trying to give the docuseries low ratings on IMDB, lol. They got people to watch, the moment the episodes were posted, BBC World News declared it “Breaking News” and it’s got well over a quarter of a million tweets. Netflix must be over the moon.

Almost none of this information came as a surprise, except for the scenes about Meghan’s niece. The same Royal Family who had weathered Charles’ tampon talk with Camilla couldn’t let the niece set in the back pew of the cathedral watch the wedding ceremony, so scandal averse were they? Push-lease.

Please register in order to view this content

But the fact that they have a tight bond while neither has a relationship with Samantha says so much and it was an unexpected piece.

That segment about Stephen Lawrence still makes me deeply emotional as I remember that time very clearly and had a classmate who experienced a harrowing encounter with some racist guys when we were in London the year after the Lawrence murder. The murder and the aftermath was like an open wound in the Black community and is still deeply triggering to me and others, I am sure.

I do believe that Meghan didn’t experience racism before she got into that family because of her color and her mother admitted not preparing her for how the world might “see her”. Both Halle Berry, as well as Vice President Kamala Harris said that their mothers gave the, that talk, that the world would see them as Black women and treat them as such. I guess being born in a different era, Ms. Ragland perhaps assumed that things would be different. Not so much.

JMO, but Harry wanted out of the family business and he found someone who he was both attracted to and felt would be able to endure what follow once he made a run for it. That’s all I’m going to say about that, lol.

‘The Royal Family couldn’t really even prepare Diana for what she would face, so how were they going to prepare Meghan, an American woman of mixed ethnicity?

• Members

It greeted me the moment I arrived at Heathrow Airport for the first time and was being processed via immigration. It matters little what your status or station in life either. One my professors talked of being on the receiving end of veiled and sarcastic remarks when she revealed that she was a professor of English literature, because she’s Indian.

I have family members who used to work for NHS and boy do they have stories! But what can you say of a country that brags about emancipating slaves while neglecting to admit (until recently) that they compensated the slave owners (but not the formerly enslaved) with taxpayer money until 2015.

• Members

OH GOSH! that's just how bad our News have been bleh I wasn't informed the divorce was dismissed, anyway I really wish these incessant documentaries would stop, while so many people fight to get privacy they're opening their private lives to the world ,oh whatever I'm not watching it anyways 

• Members

The docuseries and book will be entertaining for me. I am not invested either way and I don’t understand why people are getting their knickers in a twist over this couple. They want to tell their story, so what? 

Please register in order to view this content

Could be worse. They’re not out here hiring underage girls for sex work, or going to former colonies expecting to be carried around on a palanquin or sedan chair.

I was surprised at the number of people who did not know that England compensated slaveowners for the loss of their slaves, while giving the former slaves absolutely nothing and that British taxpayers, including some of the descendants from the colonies where England once held slaves, were are all paying those descendants of slave owners until 2015. I found that out years ago and I was livid. I actually looked up my family surnames in the leger, which had been digitized (yes, several institutions in England kept notes) and found the names were in there. I still am livid even at the thought of this. This is something to be genuinely upset about and I am glad more people now know about this shame era in history. If this awareness had to come through a gauzy docuseries, so be it, nobody’s forcing folks to watch.

• Members

Just my two cents: England is still very much a class system. It's not so much your skin color but your status and upbringing which might get you ahead or confront you with hardships to break up barriers. In case of Meghan Markle: did I get it right that she wanted to be hugged by Kate who did not respond as the prime source of her feeling racism within the royal family?

um okay, I get that as the new girl entering in an intimidating family she wanted to fit right in and searched for an alliance with the other daughter-in-law. But could be it as simple as that you sometimes do not get along as human beings. And a wannabe star actress trying to headline her own version of the Princess Diary is not necessarily the most unbiased source. For me it still looks more like very standard personal issues. Which should have stayed personal, IMO.

It's Harry and Meghan version of how they felt but there so many parts that sound a little "strange". For instance: they are accusing the royals of playing a game with the British press. Yet, for this Netflix project "the Sussexes" heavily rely on one interview to tell their version of the truth. An interview with the late Diana which was REVEALED to have been fake by the BBC!??? Okay...

Edited by sheilaforever