The Kate Bush Thread

• Members

Seems like there are a few fans here (I am one of them), and since Stranger Things has introduced her brilliance to new generations, I figured she might be worthy of her own dedicated thread.

I’ve been so happy to see her pop up on her website thanking fans for the recent chart success of “Running Up That Hill,” but BBC Radio 4 just released a rare treat—a new interview with her. Lovely to hear her voice in 2022:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Has anyone ever mentioned that Babooshka is the female version of Rupert Holmes' Pina Colada Song?

Babooshka lyric

She wanted to test her husband
She knew exactly what to do
A pseudonym
To fool him
She couldn't have made a worst move
She sent him scented letters
And he received them with a strange delight

Escape (Pina Colada)

I was tired of my lady
We'd been together too long
Like a worn out recording
Of a favorite song
So while she lay there sleepin'
I read the paper in bed
And in the personal columns
There was this letter I read

• Members

LOL I’d never made that connection. I see others have too. 

She was never more than a cult artist here in the U.S., but RUTH did make the Top 30 in its original release. And of course she contributed to popular songs like Peter Gabriel’s “Don’t Give Up”:

I first learned of her in a Entertainment Weekly review in the ‘90s where the critic compared Jewel’s “Foolish Games” to Kate lol. I was a tyke in ‘80s so I didn’t have a deep knowledge of anyone beyond what I saw on MTV, BET, and VH1 or on the radio.

I always wanted to twirl through a forest like this:

• Members

Oh god. I hate jukebox musicals. I’d rather see Kate create a completely new work if she were to involve herself in musical theater. Or do like Pet Shop Boys did with Closer to Heaven and use a couple of older songs as a jumping-off point for a mostly new work.

• Members

I think the actual performed/scripted components of her last live exhibition ("Before the Dawn") a few years ago - featuring her grown son, etc, which had actual characters and a narrative based on the Hounds of Love album, IIRC - are probably as close as anyone will get to a stage show and IMO that's for the best. Did they ever release Before the Dawn as a filmed DVD/Blu-Ray? They definitely released it as an album.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I had no idea Kate did a series of Fruitopia jingles (all in this playlist, which can't be embedded).

AFAIC Kate is up there with Prince - the incredibly layered, innovative and avant-garde soundscapes they created then, particularly in the various phases of the Hounds of Love album, were and are decades ahead of their time, still today.

Edited by Vee

• Members

It’s great that Kate and Prince had such mutual love and respect. Their collaborations were very fascinating. Game recognized game:

A Kate cover of “The Long and Winding Road” I posted this weekend for McCartney’s 80th birthday: