What major soap change/event would shock you if it happened this year?

• Webmaster

As the title says, what major soap change/event would shock you if it happened this year?

• The Bold and the Beautiful twist still hasn't happened
  • Days of our Lives gets a new head writer
  • General Hospital gets a new executive producer
  • The Young and the Restless gets a new head writer and executive producer
  • All My Children/One Life to Live reboots planned for Hulu
  • PGP licenses As The World Turns/Guiding Light for third-party streaming

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Hmmm, you know this thread is going to get speculative juices flowing.

Please register in order to view this content

Honestly, ATWT and GL on streaming feels like the least likely of the above, followed closely by or tied with more attempts at the Hulu reboots, albeit the once-teased-now-dormant Pine Valley revival would make new reboots seem less out-of-left-field.

While the soap BTS has been relatively stable in recent years, I don’t think I’d be *shocked* by any regime changes. I’ve already given up on the B&B twist.

• Members

I don't think I could be shocked. But, having learned that multiple streaming companies have approached P&G about streaming their classic soaps & P&G has once again said, "No," and "We are no longer in the business of soap operas." then, what the heck, if the headlines tomorrow said they have a deal in place for any of the shows they have in vaults, sure I'd be shocked.

• Members

Most that would shock me?

Chandler Massey walking through my front door.

But seriously As The World Turns and Guiding Light going streaming would be the most shocking to me followed by Days firing Carlivati and getting a new HW writer.

As Madonna would say Errol's got a secret!

• Members

If someone came out with a “tell-all” exposé of the soap industry (who’s doing what to whom) and named names.

That would be pretty shocking.

Seriously though, the last two items on that list would indeed shock me the most. The way things ended so badly with the TOLN soaps, I wouldn’t expect many people to sign on, although I know from the reunion livestreams that a few people would still give it another go.

Since PGP/P&G has made absolutely no effort in even showing interest in making episodes available to the public since 2012, that would be pretty darn shocking if they were to make episodes available on some streaming platform, even though their soaps were technically the first to do it via the AOL portal and then the SoapClassics website.

• Members

Errol what do you know?

Seriously if PGP licenses As The World Turns/Guiding Light for third-party streaming I would be shocked since it's obvious all these years they were out of the soap business and had no interest in offering their longtime viewers any resolve to canceling their shows. I could see them on Hulu or even Freevee might be a good option if that would ever come true. 

And next it would shock me if Josh Grifith got fired as HW from Y&R. I mean I thought by now he would be long gone. But it seems that his EP credit and other things going on BTS that isn't making my dream come true. Though I hope they would promote from within instead of going to someone else. 

Something else would shock me if GH finally cast someone to play Lucky, Tommy, or Serena. 

• Members

These would shock me too, but in a positive way.

B&B needs SOMETHING to shake it up and the writing style needs to change in a major way because the storytelling, characterization and dialogue are not working and haven't in a long time.

I used to think bringing back fan favorites from the good old days would do the trick but after seeing veterans like Kimberlin Brown and Sean Kanan return only to be given ridiculous repetitive dialogue, out of character writing, and poorly paced plots (but doing an amazing job with subpar material), I think that if the writing doesn't improve, nothing else will, regardless of who is in the cast.