GH: Former OLTL star joins the show

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

After hearing this news, I tried to make a list of all the OLTL actors that worked under Frank that have shown up on GH since he's been EP. So far I've got

Michael Easton

Roger Howarth

Amanda Setton

Kassie DePaiva

Florencia Lozano

Hillary B. Smith

Kristen Alderson

Van Hughes

Ilene Kristen

Bree Williamson

Mark Lawson

Patrick Gibbons

And now Josh Kelly

Am I missing anyone? 

Please register in order to view this content

Plus, behind the scenes, Chris and Dan were OLTL friends too.

• Members

To be fair, isn't it like any other workplace where, as a manager, if you have an employee who you experienced as easy to work with, you might hire them again at another company?

I understand that there are many talented performers, but I think favoritism is a natural instinct in a business where one does not have the luxury of testing multiple actors for a single role.

I also get that if, as a producer, you were forced to let go of an entire troupe of actors for reasons beyond your control, you might feel responsible and want to give them another chance in the future.

• Members

I'd feel the same if I didn't find his hiring decisions a detriment to the show. There is no reason Roger Howarth or Michael Easton should be in their third roles on GH. Especially when there are more important characters who could be occupying the space (and the salaries) they're taking up.

• Members

I find Howarth to be compelling and it feels like a writing, not a production issue, that they haven't found the right character for him.  I mean the doctor son of Jimmy Lee Holt?  Not by a long shot.

However, I co-sign your take on Michael Easton.  Ever since DAYS I can't watch him before driving because I may get too drowsy.

• Members

Very much agreed. 

On some level I get it, it’s FV’s show to run.  But with soaps, you inherent an audience. And we get annoyed when the characters and actors we already love get pushed aside in what sometimes feels like an attempt to recreate a different show. 

• Members

Also- maybe one or more of these characters played by Howarth or Easton might have worked if they had been given to other actors.

A hot son of Jimmy Lee Holt could be useful to help fill out the decimated Q family and add players to the hospital.  In truth he could also have a family of his own that helps make the mansion full again, maybe one of his teen kids revels in the privilege and becomes a young AJ.  In another actor’s hands I think it would work.  But not with Howarth after Franco, and not set up the way it has been.

• Members

GH should part ways with Howarth, and re-cast Austin, with an actor around Kirsten Storm's age 38, and someone who looks like they could be Steve Bond's(ex-Jimmy Lee Holt) son. A list of possibilities .... Mike C. Manning (ex-Charlie, DAYS), Brock Kelly (Evan, DAYS), Robert Adamson (ex-Noah, Y&R), Daniel Hall (ex-Scott, Y&R although he also may be too old), Tanner Novlan (ex-Finn, B&B), Micah Alberti (ex-Jamie, AMC), Kyle Lowder(ex-Rex & ex-Brady, DAYS, blonde but would look like Charity instead), Rob Gorrie (ex-Matthew, OLTL), Jay Johnson (ex-Phillip, DAYS), and Lenny Platt (ex-Nate, OLTL). 

Edited by David_Vickers